St13 cutting out

Need help with my 2007 st13. 5000 miles. Cuts out when hot. Will start after up to 30 seconds but then cuts out quicker and quicker. Cant find the problem

OP
OP
Done that. Changed pump. Done a general look under tank. Checked breather. When it dies all electrics like lights etc still work. Will turn over but not catch for a while

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Did you replace the pump with a factory OEM part or aftermarket one?
Several of the aftermarket ones are providing non submersible fuel line, that will swell up and burst inside the tank, then you hear the pump wind up, thinking its working, only to have it bleed off pressure and stop running as yours is doing.

OP
OP
Was doing it before with original pump. It needs to get really hot before it starts to cut out. Once it starts it gets worse very quickly

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
With that low of mileage, your original pump probably died a slow death from sitting.
Again, did you replace an aftermarket pump this time?
I have replaced over a dozen aftermarket pumps after only a couple thousand miles and found the lines swollen and bleeding off pressure.
You may want to inspect your replacement pump and lines.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks Larry. Any better? Have you stooped headbutting dogs? Some weird sports you have over there!

I've just been having a private chat with irideforlife - He Pm'd me. Although its far from my field of experience (on the ST anyhow), I knew I had seen a thread with these symptoms before - so I was hunting it down for him. I was looking for the post where you had experience of that with similar symptoms.

After pushing for more detail about what it was doing and when, This is what he told me.

I was also wondering about intermittent fuel pump circuit.

So. Bikw was running fine. During a hot spell one day, whilst out riding, all quite happy, no missing etc the engine just died. Coast to side. All electrics work like bulbs, starter etc. Turning ignition off and on makes no difference. No fault codes on dash. Give it 30 seconds and will start. Now, this is the first time after maybe 30 mins or so riding. Next cut out will happen in next few mins. Same thing exactly

Same procedure. Wait 10 to 20 seconds and will start. Into gear quick, ride a few hundred yards. Same thing. Next time it cuts out even quicker and then quicker again. Eventually have to leave it cool down but wont get you very far. Had same problem on 04 pan. That was tank breather. Not on this as checked. Drain hole was blocked but sorted that. Tried cap off tank and it has been run to empty and re filled. When it is hot it does this. You can see fuel vapour coming out of breather pipe under bike.
Had new pump. Not honda but problem still there so not pump. Taken tank off. Not breather. Checked inside air filter assembly. All ok.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
When the fault occurrs it needs to be tested to determine if there is both spark and fuel delivery. Missing one, the other, or both will determine the next diagnostic step.

With the above in mind, because it appears to be an intermittent problem my first reaction is to suggest testing the crankshaft position sensor and the speed sensor.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Where is the speed sensor and can you test them and how please
Check my problem last year. The speed sensor is expensive, check my post. I changed coils, plug wires, fuel pump, gas filter, fuel pressure regulator, temp sensor and other stuff but the final fix was the crank position sensor. You have to have a scope to check it. Local dealer wants $139 per hour. The sensor was under 100. Cheaper to buy and lose than 139 plus sensor . My 07 would work perfectly for 100km or so, then start missing. Once it would only rev to 6k then bounce down to 4k back and forth for awhile. It never did stop on me.

Enjoy the ride. Don't get frustrated, get even

Bike
'07STA
STOC #

Top Bottom