ST1300 and FJR1300 Comparison

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
There may be similar treads out there, but in case anyone is considering adding the Yamaha FJR1300 to your garage, here are my observations after riding my 2016 FJR1300 ES for six months. My daily commute is 40 miles round trip plus whatever joy rides I manage to put in during weekends etc. Structurally, they are quite similar, so it has been very easy getting to know the FJR and working on brakes, wheels, oil changes etc.

• Fuel: I was initially concerned about the smaller tank (6.5 US gal) and lower MPG rating on the FJR (Yamaha states the range as lousy 200 miles). However, I actually get 10% better MPG on the FJR, and it takes regular vs. the premium that the ST requires. On my ST I would be comfortable with 300 miles between fuel stops. On my FJR I aim for 275 miles to be safe. Overall FJR wins this category due to the 20% lower gasoline cost.

• Engine/Power: the FJR is much more agile and powerful - by far it's strongest asset! It's a joy opening up and experiencing the massive power. It feels like a turbine, and I haven't gone above 6,000 RPM yet! Endless amount of power it seems. It also comes with a Touring and Sport setting, which impacts the throttle response significantly...really nice feature.

• Ride/Comfort: the FJR feels much more stable at higher speeds. I never felt comfortable going much above 90 mph on the ST (it would feel wobbly), but the FJR is steady as a rock at any speed. The FJR suspension is also very nice as it can be adjusted from the dash on both pre-load and damping. The biggest down side on the FJR is the noise/rattle on bumpy roads - the plastic just doesn't feel as nice and solid as the ST, and the front brakes sound like they are about to come off. I also felt more integrated with the ST - I feel more like I am sitting on top of the FJR (if that makes sense). The ST wins on riding position - feels more relaxed, but it may not be a fair comparison as my ST had Helibar risers, where my FJR doesn't. The stock windshield on the FJR is a joke, so I immediately bought the Yamaha Touring model, and it's pretty good - comparable to my aftermarket ST windshield.

• Quality: the plastic of the FJR feels cheaper and is more difficult to take apart. I broke a small notch off the battery cover the first time I removed it There are so many notches that need to be aligned and just a royal pain to work with. Built quality feels a lot better on the ST for sure - at least for the Tupperware.

• Sound: I love the sound of the FJR in the morning - very quiet from the get go, where the ST would idle higher while cold and be a little noisier - especially on cold days. Once I get on the freeway, the picture reverses: the ST is so quiet, where the FJR has a rather loud and deep voice. They sound so different that it's difficult to compare really.

• Luggage capacity: the side bags on the FJR are a joke. They do hold a helmet, but due to the shape I can't even fit my small backpack with a laptop inside. Fortunately I have a top-box, but still. As a result I ride the FJR without the side bags most of the time, and unlike the ST, the FJR actually looks great without bags - obviously a subjective view here...

• Clutch: the FJR clutch is like butter. I love it. Less fatigue during slow traffic etc. As far as I understand, it is engine assisted.

• Brakes: the FJR has a nice rear brake - more grip than the ST. I do like the front brake on ST better. Overall both bikes have very nice brakes. The FJR system is simpler with no link between front lever and the rear caliper (no SMC!). The brake pedal does activate the front caliper though, which is probably why the pedal has such a nice effect on the FJR.

• Transmission: I bought the 2016 FJR because of the 6-speed transmission (wanted the lower RPM on the freeway). However, I really would prefer 5 speeds as there is too much shifting on the FJR for no reason at all. If Yamaha kept the 6th ratio and called it 5th and then spread out the rest in between, I would be happy. FJR is also a bit clunky when shifting - ST has a smoother transmission I think.

• Gadgets: FJR wins hands down, but it's 9 years newer, so quite obvious. Heated grips, cruise control, very nice LCD with customizable menus, adjustable suspension etc. Lots of fun stuff on the FJR here.

• Lights: FJR has all LED lights, and especially the head lights are impressive and very bright. FJR also has cornering lights that come on progressively as you lean the bike during corners. Never have to replace a bulb anywhere (supposedly)...nice.

• Mirrors: while the ST mirrors are well integrated, they are set too low. I have a much better view on what's going on behind me on the FJR.

• Passenger: my wife says they are both very comfy on the rear seat. She sits lower on the FJR (preferred), but the ST has wider/better bars to hold on to. Toss up here...
  • Accidents: I am not looking forward to dropping my FJR. From what I read, even at low or zero speed, the FJR will take significant damage (mirrors and plastic). I loved the ST crash bars, which saved my ST at least once as I hit black ice. The bike suffered zero damage after sliding down the ice for 30 yards...impressive.
I have definitely not regretted switching to my FJR so far. It is a real joy to ride and I find myself experimenting a bit more that I used to with my ST - mainly because the settings are easier to access (e.g. suspension can be adjusted while riding), but also because it feels so agile and capable...

Reactions: TOS
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Nice writeup. Thanks for taking the time. I'm still looking at a 2016+ FJR sometime in my future. For now I'm appreciative of the extra bag space on the ST1300. I replaced a 2005 FJR with a 2005 ST1300 after the FJR was knocked out from under me last year. I liked the FJR fit and power better but am still happy with the replacement, for now.

Later,
Kent Larson from Minnesota

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That was a great write up, but I'm still waiting for the ST1300 VS ST1300 write up to come out! :rolleyes:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Blue = fastest
Candy Graceful Red = prettiest
Silver seems most common, for a single year color
Black most common overall since it covers multiple years

What else would you like to know?

Well, what about 2003 VS 2007 VS 2008 VS 2012?
I don't see anything about Bigger brakes VS smaller brakes either! :well1:

:hijacked:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Well, what about 2003 VS 2007 VS 2008 VS 2012?
2007 = "Silver"... see above
2012 is covered under "Black"... see above
2003, 2008, 2009: insufficient data. Candy Glory Red is *pretty nice* but not as nice as Candy Graceful Red, to my eye at least

All model years: too fun to let them languish. Git one (or more) and go ride!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
2007 = "Silver"... see above
2012 is covered under "Black"... see above
2003, 2008, 2009: insufficient data. Candy Glory Red is *pretty nice* but not as nice as Candy Graceful Red, to my eye at least

All model years: too fun to let them languish. Git one (or more) and go ride!
Did you know that the 2008 and later models run hotter than pre-2008 models? Do you know why?

How about why Honda added the lower side panels? Just for looks...nope!

See, and here you thought I was just :fish1:

:think1:

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
Did you know that the 2008 and later models run hotter than pre-2008 models? Do you know why?

How about why Honda added the lower side panels? Just for looks...nope!

See, and here you thought I was just :fish1:

:think1:
And here I thought they put them there to hold the heat of the muffler CATS in. :p

Top Bottom