ST1300 as an offroad bike?

Bike
ST1100
Regardless of it's a girl or a guy it's still impressive to see an ST ridden that way
Agree. It is quite a rare occasion to see anyone riding ST standing up on the pegs. I've been to the trip two years ago, where I had to ride around three days on gravel and sand. Never got enough courage to ride standing, but I liked this experience) Since I still haven't bought off-road bike, looking forward to train a bit riding my ST on gravel this season.

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2010 ST1300A
Agree. It is quite a rare occasion to see anyone riding ST standing up on the pegs. I've been to the trip two years ago, where I had to ride around three days on gravel and sand. Never got enough courage to ride standing, but I liked this experience) Since I still haven't bought off-road bike, looking forward to train a bit riding my ST on gravel this season.
Riding standing up is totally natural when you have learned to ride motorcycles on dirt first. My dirt adventures are mostly on mountain bikes now, and occasionally I ride with a friend that never rode motorcycles in the dirt and they are not near as comfortable even riding bicycles standing. Standing is more or less a requirement in technical riding on either platform.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I used to stand on my pegs, ST/Wing/C14, to give my legs and rearend a break if needed... also going up and over these crazy steep Colorado curbs we have for snow. I could also stretch a leg to the passenger pegs on my Wing and rest a foot there for a while if I was on the slab.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm another one that fairly often rides standing on the pegs. The first/last 600m near my house is pot-holed tarmac with a thin covering of dirt, with cow/sheep manure thrown in for fun.

The off camber sections in the wet tend to cause the bike to slide around a little, and I find standing allows a quicker reaction time.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The section of road from St. Regis, MT to get to the St. Joe River road is 12 miles of gravel. The first time I rode it was harrowing. Now I have to remind myself that I am on a 700lb road bike! Amazing what you get used to. Practice, Practice, Practice will get you through most things but still.......that guy/girl on the ST is pretty amazing!!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Back in 2010(?) at Moonshine when we had to ride out to the place for lunch on Saturday, the road was gravel, large rock gravel. I thought I was going to have to buy a new Corbin for my C14 after that experience... PUCKER factor was a 9 on the scale to 10!

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Standing on pegs is not a big deal, but is it efficient on a 700lb bike?
On a ST your are "mostly" saving your spine and your butt, you are not getting so much more control on the trajectory...

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Standing on pegs is not a big deal, but is it efficient on a 700lb bike?
On a ST your are "mostly" saving your spine and your butt, you are not getting so much more control on the trajectory...
I've stood both to stretch out the legs while on pavement and when riding in dirt / gravel etc. I agree that in gravel and bumps, standing helps save the spine and bum, but it also prevents those from traveling up your arms and making you steer in a way you may not have been planning to.

nt650hawk

Gino
Bike
2006 ST1300
i've spent a fair amount of time on logging roads in Canada 2up with the ST. The wife hates me sometimes. One road was about 60+ miles

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
The section of road from St. Regis, MT to get to the St. Joe River road is 12 miles of gravel. The first time I rode it was harrowing. Now I have to remind myself that I am on a 700lb road bike! Amazing what you get used to. Practice, Practice, Practice will get you through most things but still.......that guy/girl on the ST is pretty amazing!!
Been there, done that, Jan and I plus fully loaded ST, its all @drrod fault we had a great time! Glad the road was open when we made it to the top LOL

IMGP3318.jpgIMGP3319.jpgIMGP3320.jpg

Who needs a fancy Africa Twin ... oh ya, I DO!

Last edited:
Top Bottom