ST1300 bad water pump seal?

Hi all,

I feel I know the answer already (it's the water pump :confused:) but I still thought I'd ask. I've had my bike parked for about 6 months in the garage. The other day I decided to go for a ride and noticed a small amount of coolant fluid (seemed like three drops). It was not a continuous leak, like it literally stopped as the bike came up to temp. Anyway, I decided to skip the ride and take the plastics off to see what the issue was.

The leak's trace was off the water pump weep hole, not the square one. However, I cannot get it to leak again. I have started it and stopped it multiple times, with the plastics off, and no leak.

The bike has about 18K miles and I changed the coolant fluid about a year ago, when I had a leak atop the engine (that's how I know the differences between the two holes ;)). So my question is, could the leak I experienced have come from lack of use and lubrication, and now be ok?

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Where it leaks at the water pump and then it stops? If so, how long did that last?

I looked for water pump articles and it seems I may need a press (which I don't have). Is the water pump replacement job a big deal? Or should I just get it done and stop asking these dumb questions :rofl1:

Anyway, thank you in advance for your feedback.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Per Honda, minor leaking is ok. If it goes away I wouldn't worry about it. If you experience a more constant leak then it's time to consider the water pump.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There are several areas that can leak on your bike.
The water pump cover o-ring, that goes around the perimeter of the cover, runs down the front ledge, then exits near the square exit point.
The right radiator main hose, which blows coolant back in the area of the round weep hole etc.
The water pipe connections, T-stat housing, etc.
The round weep hole can CATCH coolant that is blown backwards, and retain it, then appear to be leaking out the hole etc.
If you want to find out for sure, simply clean and dry the area off, take a soft cotton pipe cleaner, and insert it gently in the hole to clean out any coolant trapped in this area.
Then start/ride the bike and see if it re-appears etc.
You can also take some spray foot powder and cover the entire area, the coolant will then cling to the dry powder and make a trail to the real cause of the leak.
Don't over tighten the radiator hoses, or you'll bend the pipes and make them egg shaped, and they will leak even more.
:WCP1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is not uncommon for the seal to leak a minor amount at startup like you described after sitting for an extended period of time. Monitor it and go ride.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Had that on mine. Just a drop or two on the garage floor but not after every ride. Spent too much time looking for it unsuccessfully. Snugged up all the hose clamps in the thermostat area but it wouldn't go away. I began to suspect the water pump but saw no evidence of a drip anywhere. Finally pulled the front/right plastic and took it for a ride. Back in the garage, on the center stand and sat on the floor beside it, flashlight in hand. After a few minutes, I noticed a very slight seep develop around one of the hoses at the thermostat housing. A single drop fell to the floor, the rest of the evidence evaporated away leaving no other evidence. Downside of keeping everything clean I suppose. Just cleaned the inside of the hose end and fitting on the housing and reinstalled the clamp. No more drips. Far more work than threat, but I won?

Mine is 2010 ST1300PA updated version with weeping hose i had a small oil leak maybe couple drops on sweeping hose after park overnight. Replace mechanical oil seal then fixed.

Bike
St1300PA
Hi all,

I feel I know the answer already (it's the water pump :confused:) but I still thought I'd ask. I've had my bike parked for about 6 months in the garage. The other day I decided to go for a ride and noticed a small amount of coolant fluid (seemed like three drops). It was not a continuous leak, like it literally stopped as the bike came up to temp. Anyway, I decided to skip the ride and take the plastics off to see what the issue was.

The leak's trace was off the water pump weep hole, not the square one. However, I cannot get it to leak again. I have started it and stopped it multiple times, with the plastics off, and no leak.

The bike has about 18K miles and I changed the coolant fluid about a year ago, when I had a leak atop the engine (that's how I know the differences between the two holes ;)). So my question is, could the leak I experienced have come from lack of use and lubrication, and now be ok?

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Where it leaks at the water pump and then it stops? If so, how long did that last?

I looked for water pump articles and it seems I may need a press (which I don't have). Is the water pump replacement job a big deal? Or should I just get it done and stop asking these dumb questions :rofl1:

Anyway, thank you in advance for your feedback.
I thought I had a bad water pump seal also , I went and replaced the seals and shaft, but the real problem was the radiator cap wasn’t releasing the pressureI had the pressure up to 25 psi and it still wouldn’t release , should release at 16 ,didn’t try to go any higher, new cap is cheap and these Honda’s do give a little drip now and then , get a new cap and ride.

Top Bottom