ST1300 brake pad testing???

slo~ride

Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
Bike
18 BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
It is about time for another set of rear brake pads on my STeed, and I was wondering if anyone has done any testing of different pad brands as to which works better?
The Honda shop I use always automatically uses EBC, but I would like to know if there is any real world testing and preferances out there, and why.
Thanks Slo~.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use only OEM and am glad to see at 55,000 miles only negligible disk wear. I have heard the EBC HH pads wear the disks much faster.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The Honda shop I use always automatically uses EBC...
Boy, I'm sure Honda loves them for that! :rolleyes:

Do a search on EBC and you'll find lots of discussion on them. I don't have any problems with the service or the wear on Honda's pads, and the set of EBCs I tried on my other bike were very noisy and more grabby than I liked.

--Mark

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I tried the EBCs, but took them off and replaced them with OEMs. They were way too grabby for my tastes. The OEMs didn't cost any more than the EBCs, as I recall.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I had OK luck with EBC and Galfer pads on my ST1100 but there was always the odd squeak or wear issue here and there. In the case of Galfer green pads, there was very poor wet weather performance. For my 1300 I've stuck to the OEMs and have been free of these little bothersome gremlins, so that's my recommendation.

Bought mail order, they cost only a little more or about the same as aftermarket pad bought locally. I wouldn't hesitate to use EBCs or Galfer black pads in a fix, but given the luxury of choice........ OEM for me.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
On my last bike (Suzuki SV1000S), I used the EBC HH always. Had great luck with them. That said, when I added a pair of standard EBC pads on the back of the ST I ended up warping the rotor and frying the pads within 30 miles. This was probably due to being mis-installed but when I went back to the stock pads, I had no issues. Also of note, the EBC pads for the front and rear are the same whereas the Honda front and rears are different. While they are the same shape, the rear Honda pads are much thicker than the fronts. So, to me, that means I'm spending about the same amount of money for less pad if I buy the EBC. I'm usually all about the upgrades and using aftermarket sources but this is one time I'm sticking with stock pads.

Bike
2006 St1300
Seems there are mixed reviews for the non-OEM brake pads I'm shopping for new ones and Amazon is $41.70 and HondaDirect is $126.81... big price difference. The last change of the pads I used OEM from http://www.directlineparts.com. A quick Google pulled these which seem a little fishy. http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Front-Brake-Sintered-Severe/dp/B004VJOV2Y, but are also carried by Sears?

What is the down side of the non-OEM pads besides price, does it wear the rotors? Advice would be appreciated, but I figure to order the OEM unless I hear a positive note otherwise.

Still strange they carry them in Sears! Next they'll have a top box in the garden center!

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I did the EBC thing on my ST as well... they squeeeeeled like a pig... put OEM's on.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
have on the EBC HH's for the rear... can't tell the diff between it and oem. ( used cause I needed and it was all i could get asap )... will prob go back to OEM agn tho on next part order after these wear out.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I only ever bought EBC HH pads once for my old ST1100. They produced nothing like the stopping power of the OEM pads.
Its worth noting that the originals come with backing plates and heat shields, and the rear set has 9mm of thickness, the front 6mm. In my experience, EBC pads come with 6mm all round. (Though that may have been a quirk for the ST1100.)

Although the OEM pad plates are the same physical size, the tang on the rear set has a slot in it, the tang on the front set does not. I don't know why, but this may not be reproduced in non-OEM pads. I happen to have a photo I took for someone a while back. Rear pair of OEM is on the left (one on its side, one upright), a front pair is on the right - one upright, one lying down.

Attachments

Bike
2006 St1300
Ordered the OEMs yesterday. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom