ST1300: Do you have a self made mounting system of your GPS?

Bike
06 ST1300
If so, could you please share a few tips on how- and perhaps a photo or two of the mount?

I ask because I have ordered a Bike-Quip dashmount, but in retrospect I'm afraid that the navigator will come "too close". Or "stick out of the dash" too much. Even with the shortest RAM arms. So I'm now thinking that I might be better off making my own mount instead.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I had a similar mount, now out of production but described in another thread for do-it-yourselfers. Mine was a thick aluminum strip, bent to fit the top of the dash with 3 RAM balls on the aluminum. My iteration's RAM mounts were too close together to use all 3 simultaneously. I used two - one to hold my GPS and the other held my cellphone in a RAM X grip. The GPS started out with a Nuvi that snapped into a plastic holder w/ a RAM ball on the back, it graduated to a Zumo with the factory holder + RAM ball. Both used (IIRC) the short RAM ball clamps. I adjusted them pointing upward, positioning the two holders so they would not hit the inside of the windshield. I found if the RAM clamp was horizontal (pointing toward the rider) the device (either gps or phone) exerted too much of a moment on the dash. The whole shabang would flex and the Zumo or phone would bob up and down when I went over bumps. Ideally, you want the center of gravity for your accessory (gps, phone, whatever) to be directly above the lower RAM ball.

Note that if you use such a mount to hold a newer iPhone with image stabilization, vibration can damage the phone. Quad lock sells an anti vibration mount. I have no idea how well it works (even though I bought the AV mount and a wireless charger) because my iPhone is so old it does not have this sensitive feature.

I never had my arms come loose. I did however make a modification. Since space was limited, I opted not to get the locking RAM clamps. I pulled the hand turn knob off and replaced it with a nylock nut (its metric, I think 6mm). I keep a cheap wrench in my top box and use it to tighten the arm down. I also remove my GPS and phone if I'm away from my bike. A determined type can probably wrench either off with his bare hands.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I made a simple mount that fastens to the top of the front brake reservoir on my ST1100s.
Simple right angle bend and a hole drilled for whatever ball or bolt you want to put in it.
I find it has worked well for many years and keeps the GPS from blocking any of my dash but is not out of my sight.

**EDITED - Here's a picture of my GPS Mount -

GPS Mount.jpg

You just have to make sure the mounting holes line up with the master cylinder screw holes.
And I bought a couple of stainless steel socket head bolts that were a little longer to replace the original screws.
It does have to be constructed of sufficient material thickness or it will vibrate.

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have a look at the below for a couple I'd ideas.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I went the other way, started with a single in the dash cover, then put two in the retaining holes, and onto the Bike-Quip.

IMG_2529.jpeg63983114405__14DC56C1-A040-48C7-9817-CA0C9FF4945A.jpeg

These are the short arms.
IMG_0687.jpeg

And onto the Bike-Quip. With the windscreen on the "high bolts" this has the screen al the way down, does not touch the equipment.
IMG_6923.jpeg

These are not the short arms, they are the medium(?). I couldn't get the devices far enough apart with the short arms.
IMG_6924.jpegIMG_6925.jpeg

Part of why I evolved this way was needing bifocals. I positioned the devices so I didn't have to move my head and they land in glasses sweet spot. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
fashlend
Bike
06 ST1300
I went the other way, started with a single in the dash cover, then put two in the retaining holes, and onto the Bike-Quip.
Hope this helps.
In fact, that helped a lot. Looks like we use the same kind of navigator; and I think I'll keep the phone tucked away (for now) even if also I have the same Quad-Lock charger lying around from my old bike. Before I do anything, I think I'll just wait until the Bike-Quip manages to fight its way through the Swedish customs / VAT-system, and try it directly. But I suspect that I'm going to end up with your first solution with a single RAM-ball in the middle. That way I can decide exactly how far out I want the navigator to stick out. Your pictures also gave me an idea of combining the Bike-Quip with a 12mm bar to mount it using parts from a Touratech-mount that I have. That way I can also have control over the "depth", and at the same time avoid using the RAM-mounts; making it at least a bit more fiddly to just grab and run.

If you don't mind me asking; was there any changes in "vibrations" when you mounted the RAM-ball in the center directly in the dash cover- and after you installed the Bike-Quip mount?

Thank you so much for the answer- and the pictures! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
fashlend
Bike
06 ST1300
The whole shabang would flex and the Zumo or phone would bob up and down when I went over bumps. Ideally, you want the center of gravity for your accessory (gps, phone, whatever) to be directly above the lower RAM ball.

Note that if you use such a mount to hold a newer iPhone with image stabilization, vibration can damage the phone. Quad lock sells an anti vibration mount. I have no idea how well it works (even though I bought the AV mount and a wireless charger) because my iPhone is so old it does not have this sensitive feature.
Thank you for the heads up regarding the "bobbing". This is one of the things I'm afraid of and want to avoid. Regarding the Quad-Lock mount, I already have the anti-vibration mount and the wireless charger lying around from my old bike. But for now, I think I'll just keep my phone in my jacket or in the tank bag when I'm driving anyway :)

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
In fact, that helped a lot. Looks like we use the same kind of navigator; and I think I'll keep the phone tucked away (for now) even if also I have the same Quad-Lock charger lying around from my old bike. Before I do anything, I think I'll just wait until the Bike-Quip manages to fight its way through the Swedish customs / VAT-system, and try it directly. But I suspect that I'm going to end up with your first solution with a single RAM-ball in the middle. That way I can decide exactly how far out I want the navigator to stick out. Your pictures also gave me an idea of combining the Bike-Quip with a 12mm bar to mount it using parts from a Touratech-mount that I have. That way I can also have control over the "depth", and at the same time avoid using the RAM-mounts; making it at least a bit more fiddly to just grab and run.

If you don't mind me asking; was there any changes in "vibrations" when you mounted the RAM-ball in the center directly in the dash cover- and after you installed the Bike-Quip mount?

Thank you so much for the answer- and the pictures! :)
Glad it was helpful, the worst vibration was the two in the retainer holes. I don’t recall being bothered by the center, I only relocated so I could have the phone up as well. The Bike-Quip I added an internal bracket to minimize flex. Vibrating doesn’t seem to be an issue, but potholes are, or at least were.

OP
OP
fashlend
Bike
06 ST1300
I made a simple mount that fastens to the top of the front brake reservoir on my ST1100s.
This might be a good idea. Thanks for the tip. And thanks for the edit/picture :) I might try something like this to see what I like best.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
This might be a good idea. Thanks for the tip. And thanks for the edit/picture :) I might try something like this to see what I like best.
You could make it out of aluminum or steel - IIRC mine is 16 gauge steel.
I find with the GPS in that position I have full view of all of my dash and yet I have a clear view of the GPS screen.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
This location is the one that I have used on 4 bikes now. 2 x ST1100s and 2 x 1300s. This is the first 1300.

Getting the location as high as possible, without getting into my line of sight - particularly when going over the brow of a very steep hill (we have a lot of those in these parts) - is important for me. Tucking them to one side does thrre things.

1. Keeps the Satnav sheltered - this is a Zumo 590/595 cradle.
2. Is easy to take a quick glance with much less of a glance than is required for checking mirrors.
3. Allows my pillion to see ETA for next stop / final destination.

P1020477.jpg P1020476.jpg

I should have used Japanned bolts - these are a little rusty.

The mount itself is a sandwich of Aluminium sheet, Old car inner tube, fairing plastic, old car inner tube, ram ball mount. Drilled through and fastened with 2 x 5mm bolts with nyloc nuts. Finding a place that doesn't interfere with the sliding screen mechanism underneath and with the windscreen going up and down is crucial. So plenty of trial and error before fitting.

The downside is that you have to drill holes in the grey nose cowl. That doesn't bother me in the least. I tend to keep my bikes for what I want to use them for with little regard tot he resale value. In any case, havinging a RAM ball mount ready to use is a bonus.

The type of mount offered originally (I think) by Migsel, and a smiliar verison offered by Bikequip - seemed to be an attractive proposition. But I sat on a bike with one which made me realise that having it mounted dead centre was not what I wanted. I daresay that mounted in one of the side holes on a long arm to one side would put the satnav in more or less the same position as mine

I have tried the clutch lever / brake lever adapter which uses longer screws to piggy back the lever clamp. THat is a good, quick solution, which I used until I had the chance to take the headlight cowl off. I have two mounts at present - the one like the photos above, and one RAM ball, screwed into the hole inthe centre of the Bike Quip bar riser centre piece. I put the XT on the top mount, and sometimes, when testing, I'll have the 590 or 595 between the bars. I don't like it in that position. It takes far too much time to look down, refocus, read the information, look up and refocus again.

I made a mount between the handle bars mount brings the gps and power plug to the center. That way I was able to mimic the angle of the bars. It helped to keep the stuff from blocking view of dash. Since I don't have a smart phone I didn't need dual mounts though.

OP
OP
fashlend
Bike
06 ST1300
1. Keeps the Satnav sheltered - this is a Zumo 590/595 cradle.
2. Is easy to take a quick glance with much less of a glance than is required for checking mirrors.
3. Allows my pillion to see ETA for next stop / final destination.

The mount itself is a sandwich of Aluminium sheet, Old car inner tube, fairing plastic, old car inner tube, ram ball mount. Drilled through and fastened with 2 x 5mm bolts with nyloc nuts.
Thank you. Your "point three" on the list is something I haven't even considered. Until now I have only had the "center position" as an option. But I have to sleep on that now after I have seen this. :)

ELC

Bike
2012 ST1300A
Dylan (slipclutchms) makes an awesome farkle bar that uses the mirror assembly bolts, no drilling the dash.
It sits a couple inches above the dash.
Perhaps with enough interest he could be talked into making a few.
I currently have a GPS and radar detector on mine, with room for one more item if desired.

Farkle bar 1.jpg

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Below is the RBIS (RAM ball installation system??) It's the 'commercial' embodiment of a design originally made by a site member for an NT700V Deauville if I recall correctly?

The bad news is it's long ceased production, but the good news is it shouldn't be hard to replicate should you be so inclined. The original was equipped with SAE fasteners - that center ball is attached from the underside with a 1/4-20 flathead screw. Should you roll your own, I recommend going with an M6 flathead screw and at those outer attachment points use a clip-on barrel nut to retain it. Those outer points can also support their own RAM balls for additional gadgets.

I use the center for my Garmin zumo XT and the left one for a GoPro HERO5 Session action camera. I haven't come up with something for the other mount yet.

1710534366974.png

1710534306096.png

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I happened to have a spare screen inner cowl that had holes drilled at the top for police equipment, so was sacrificial. I made a satnav bracket from a piece of aluminium (that's a-loo-min-um to you) bent in a roughly triangular fashion, bolted between the clips at the edge of the cowl and further to the front towards the screen. I then attached the mounting plate for my Garmin. It worked a treat. Sorry the pictures aren't the best, but it was at least 15 years ago and you should get the idea.

nav bracket.jpg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Below is the RBIS (RAM ball installation system??) It's the 'commercial' embodiment of a design originally made by a site member for an NT700V Deauville if I recall correctly?
Tom ... Deja vu, we have done this dance before.

Top Bottom