ST1300 Fork crack decision

Bike
2005 st1300a
While installing new seals in my st1300 2005 forks i noticed a hair-line crack in the damper rod. Don't know if this is a problem or not. (see photos)

Hair-line crack is barely visible in the photo.

Like to know if anyone havs a feel or strong opinion for whether this is a problem or if anyone has ever see this before?

For time being, since a new damper is $175 or so and it would take a week or so to get it, decided to put everything back together and put the bike back in service.

Thanks,

Byron

STOC #
Are you sure it is a crack or could it be a scrach?

OP
OP
Bike
2005 st1300a
Seems more likely to be a crack or maybe even something that is a result of the manufacture process (I've seens many parts that are cylindrical but with a seam).

UNTMatt has raised my level of concern but I'd feel more comfortable if I knew the level of importance of the structural integrety of this damper. Doesn't seem like it could be a weight bearing member and it's not obvious this would cause a leak of fork oil.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
A Goldwing only has a damper rod on the left fork, so........... to get even damping you have to install a RaceTech kit or Traxxion dampers.
If this is what I think it is, I would not be overly concerned about a catastrophic failure. It may not be a crack, but you can get a die penetrant test to verify. It may have been there from day one. If it is of concern, why not weld it up?

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If that is the bottom of the leg (can't tell from the photo on my phone) it us no issue. It isn't load bearing and is not part of the valveing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bike
2005 st1300a
Put it all back together, changed front pads, engine oil, and double checked everytthing.

A short test ride indicated my handling was back to normal with good damping.

Hopefully good for another 100K miles. Need to nurse this baby through 250K bedfore I reach rertiremenrt.

On vacation in PR.

Thanks out to all!

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Well It looks to me to be a surface crack as it does not extend in to the next turned downed diameter, so I too think you will be Ok and I would not worry . That crack will more than likely never change IMHO !

:slv13: MIKE

Top Bottom