ST1300 Front Brake Dragging

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
That does not surprise me, coming from someone who kept riding his bike with the headlight hunting, and he just got used to it, rather than fix it :rofl1:

It is not that I am not understanding your explanation, but rather that I am missing where you might have provided one.

And you also seem to have missed the extent of the issue with the headlight motor: At no time did I ride with the headlight hunting.

The motor was only hunting for a few seconds when turning the ignition on, with the aim always returning to wherever I had it set.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
And yet you still continued to ride the bike, knowing the headlight aim motor was not working correctly, and could have caused a short in your bike, that could have left you stranded somewhere?
Why don't we just wait a bit, and let me help the OP sort this issue out, then we can explain what we found, and how we fixed it.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
And yet you still continued to ride the bike, knowing the headlight aim motor was not working correctly, and could have caused a short in your bike, that could have left you stranded somewhere?

Several assumptions here, all of them wrong.

First is that I didn't try to address the issue. Dealers never came up with lasting solutions and a trip to AZ wouldn't have helped either as Whisperer don't do electrics.

Second is that the motor is at fault. If you really try to look into how the adjusting system works, you'll find that a perfectly good working motor can still be made to go hunting, for various reasons.

And If you care to look over at the GL community, you'll find some hunting going on there as well and that on the newer models, their adjuster is purposely left out of the loop for about 20 sec to specifically alleviate hunting at start up.

The strangest though, is assuming that Honda's design would allow a failed beam adjusting system to strand a biker! To the contrary, those who have actually looked into it found that they've gone to length to prevent it.

Why don't we just wait a bit, and let me help the OP sort this issue out, then we can explain what we found, and how we fixed it.

Much more reasonable than assuming that crap migrating from the SMC froze the front outers.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
For some reason, you've attempted to turn the OP's thread into a thread about you, or trying to prove that I'm wrong.
As I've pointed out, I've only done a couple inspections via the white courtesy phone, and in doing so, we've discovered a few damaged parts, and a frozen, failing to pass the safety inspection function test of the SMC, so it was suggested that these damaged parts, and SMC be replaced to remove them from the possible cause of the issues.
For some reason you've decided to focus on just one thing, that you don't understand, and are failing to look at the big picture, that other things still may be found upon further inspections.
Once I get the bike in the garage, and can inspect it myself, we may find the cause, or causes of the problems, until then, why are you putting so much energy into trying to impose your point of view on the cause, or proving I don't know what I'm doing?
I'm no longer going to debate any of this with you, and focus my time and efforts on helping the OP.
As far as your last comment:
"First is that I didn't try to address the issue"....my point exactly, you ignored an issue and kept riding the bike without finding the cause.
"Dealers never came up with a lasting solution"....does this really surprise you? Most dealerships have no idea how to work or service these bikes :rofl1:
I've replaced two or three of these units, and none ever had issues after that, and yes, if the unit is defective, replace it.
The GL1800 and the GL1500 have always had issues with empty or low preload adjusters, headlight aiming units, cruise control lights, and various other issues. I seriously doubt that Honda designed their units to purposely be left out of the loop for 20 seconds, to conceal the hunting, or defective unit. This sounds like your just repeating comments from Youtube, fourms, or the great book of face.
And your last comment makes ABSOLUTELY no sense to me...."assuming that Honda's design would allow a failed beam adjusting system to strand a biker"?
Just like their ground wire fails? Headlight bulb shorts? Fuel pumps? etc.
Most of the failures are caused by owners who jury rig wiring, or think they are improving stuff, because they know more than Honda, and saw something on Youtube.
Now lets just agree to disagree on just about everything, and let me get back to helping this poor guy.

OP
OP
jbhunsaker
Bike
2008 ST1300A
After consulting with Larry and buying parts I drove down to Tucson to meet with him at his house. I arrived a little after 9:00am and he worked straight through until near 6:30pm. Larry took the time to not just explain what he was doing, but the reasoning behind it, the probable causes for wear/failure, and how what he was working on could affect other systems. I've never seen someone give such attention to detail as he did my bike. My brake problem has been completely eliminated and I now feel safe again on my bike. I even encountered two emergency braking situations on my way home and the ST responded wonderfully - so much for having to simulate a test! He also gave special attention and tweaked my suspension and a half-dozen other "little things."
Thank you, Larry, for the amazing educational experience. Thanks also to Jfheath and Sadlsor for your helpful support!

Top Bottom