Article [13] ST1300 - Gear Position Indicator (Do It Yourself)

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Re: My home-built DIY gear position indicator - includes plans

Very cool. :cool:

Ray

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #

Add me to the list, I want one!!!!

1. MAC_JD

JD

If no one else has stepped up, I'm pretty sure I can get my boss to let me make these.
Would take a couple of weeks to get my supplies and techniques down and I could make them as they are ordered.

STOC #

Well, I feel totally inadequate. The only thing I did was call the guys in Ontario, Canada and order the speedo healer.:D

DAS

STOC #

PD way cool.

Your project makes my home brew electric jacket controller and aux led light projects look like mud pies. What I'd really love to have is a diy digital speedometer for my 1100. Played around with bicycle speedometers but didn't find one that will work. Do you think a 3 digit display and micro controller that you can somehow plug in the rolling circumference of the rear tire would do the job?

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

PD way cool.

Your project makes my home brew electric jacket controller and aux led light projects look like mud pies. What I'd really love to have is a diy digital speedometer for my 1100. Played around with bicycle speedometers but didn't find one that will work. Do you think a 3 digit display and micro controller that you can somehow plug in the rolling circumference of the rear tire would do the job?
Ya, it's doable. Anything is doable. :p:
I had a 91 ST1100... and for the life-of-me, I can't remember if it had a mechanical speedo (i.e. cable driven), or electronic. Do you know? I sold my old service manual with the bike. Where can I get my hands on a schematic?

BTW.. Thanks to Putt for turning me on to the idea... the bicycle computer method is exactly what I do to calibrate my speedo-healers :D
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc51-general-discussion/24612-ticketed-speeding-speedo-calibration.html#post240004

Start a new thread (so we don't clutter this one up), and maybe we can work it out.

Last edited:

Scarman

Not all pain is gain
Bike
FJR1300

Very cool. I might have to play with that myself. Thanks for sharing.

Someone on this thread commented that the '07 will have this indicator. Is that true? I just ordered an '08 and I am wondering if it will have the indicator.

I am also glad to read that a lot of people out there try and up shift after they are already in top gear. Whenever I did that I felt like I was the only person who makes that mistake.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

Someone on this thread commented that the '07 will have this indicator. Is that true? I just ordered an '08 and I am wondering if it will have the indicator.

I am also glad to read that a lot of people out there try and up shift after they are already in top gear. Whenever I did that I felt like I was the only person who makes that mistake.
07 did not have them and neither will 08. It was said once when people were guessing what changes honda would do that they would add the indicator. Never happened.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

For all I know, you could've just told me how to build a dirty bomb, but damn, that's impressively cool.

I don't know how many times my old Viffer-Oriented foot has tried to kick that shift lever from 5 to 6 with no success. This could be a remedy... :woo

Bike
ST-1300, Tiger XC

great post - actually, I see another application for this technology. I, for one, really don't need the gear indicator ('cause I compare the tach and speedo and know instantly) BUT I would dearly love to have the fuel gage and other signals posted on SOMETHING I CAN SEE IN DAYLIGHT!! The same technology could, I think, be used to remote any of the signals on the information screen to something brighter.

Sink

TwiSTieholic
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #

I have one of these in my head... When I start out, I think... ONE... then when I shift... I think..... TWO... etc.

Great job on the digital model.... since I like to keep both hands on the grips while I'm accelerating!

I have no idea how you guys figure this stuff out... must be why you make the BIG BUCKS!!!!!

PizzaHog

Still Bikeless, More Pathetic
STOC #

Heh. +1

:D

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #

I have one of these in my head... When I start out, I think... ONE... then when I shift... I think..... TWO... etc.

Great job on the digital model.... since I like to keep both hands on the grips while I'm accelerating!

I have no idea how you guys figure this stuff out... must be why you make the BIG BUCKS!!!!!
Well, my VFR is a 6 speed and I still do it.

I'm so busy watching that car in the other lane, looking for debris, that truck pulling out of the drive, I just don't always remember if I have switched into 6th.

But I guess if all you think about is BACON then you can remember such things!!!
:crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup

STOC #

This is way cool. There is a company in the UK that sold them here but stopped. Many moons ago I use to make little radio projects so this is very dooable. What do I have to do to get the pre programmed PIC and a display?
Also, where did you pic off the info from the bike's electronics?? Neat way you get the info into the chip. While reading the thread I thought you would use a eprom burner or some such. Since I have been riding I have gotten out of homebrew electronics and ham radio, the technology has really changed. I remember reading about PIC controllers in Nuts and Volts years ago but never saw a need till now......Where do I send the money for the PIC and display??
thanks,
mitch stoc 1384
WW4ML sometimes micro welder and morse code pounder....

Oh yea, the neat thing about the ST1100 was that when you were in 5th the shift lever would flop, in forth it would be stiff. So if you were not sure if you were in 4th or 5th just wiggle the gear shift indicator and feel if it would flop or not... too simple. Too bad the ST1300 didn't do that..

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please

I thought I'd get this question... which is why I addressed it in my opening post, quoted below
You mean like when I put my answers to the math test out for the rest of the class in high school?

I had the same moral ideals, but I still got a two day suspension. It's tough when your trying to help advance the world and (there was this one special girl----):D

Last edited:

Baysidebob

My actuary says I'm dead

If someone does market this, I certainly hope they post here. I'd buy one but lack the skill to build one.

Bob

Hashimoto

I Hate Snow
Bike
2006 ST-1300
STOC #

What a great project! I like the idea of mounting the LED in the instrument cluster.

I noticed what appears to be a photo cell in this set-up,
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109519&postcount=17
I'm assuming it allows the LED brightness to vary according to ambient light conditions. Is that something that would be manageable?

Hats off to you for your efforts and willingness to share.:bow1:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #

The 1100 has a cable driven speedometer and the tach is electronic.

OP
OP
pdfruth

pdfruth

P.D.Fruth

What a great project! I like the idea of mounting the LED in the instrument cluster.

I noticed what appears to be a photo cell in this set-up,
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109519&postcount=17
I'm assuming it allows the LED brightness to vary according to ambient light conditions. Is that something that would be manageable?

Hats off to you for your efforts and willingness to share.:bow1:

I bet that's exactly what the photo cell does.

Honestly, I seldom do any night riding, so I never really gave much consideration to the brightness of the LED display at night (duuuuhhhh :eek:: ). My main concern was making it bright enough to see on bright sunny days. But, that super bright LED is sooooo bright that it is likely going to be tooooo bright in night time riding conditions. I mean that thing so bright, it lights up my whole shop if I turn off the shop lights.

So, here's a great new innovation to add to the project.

I can think of a couple ways to do this using a photo cell.
1) Put a photo-cell in series with the common anode leg of the seven segment display.
2) Use one of the MC's unused pins (fortunately there is one available) as an analog input pin, and use the MC's on-board A/D converter to compute the ambient light conditions based on the voltage drop across the photo-cell. The resulting A/D conversion would then be used as an input to the routine that turns on the segments of the seven segment display. The routine that turns on the seven segment display's segments could easily be altered to vary the duty cycle of the "on time" for those segments (right now they are just "always on"), effectively dimming them by only turning them on for a short while every few microseconds. Because of the phenomenon called "Persistence of Vision", the human eye does not see this on/off flickering. It'll just appear to be a little dimmer.

#1 probably won't work. The photo cell would have to dissipate too much power. Maybe some of the EE's in the crowd could chime in here.
I think I'll play around with option #2 this weekend. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Great idea... thanks Hashimoto

Last edited:
Top Bottom