ST1300 handling query from newbie

Hi all

I am in the market for a sports tourer and naturally the ST is on my short list. I test rode a second hand 2005 example the other day at a local dealership, with around 28000 km on the clock. The ride was part surburban/part freeway - speed never exceeded 100 kph. It was a bit windy and the prevailing wind was probably a cross wind.

My concern related to a disconcerting weave on the freeway. This was probably due to turbulence caused by trucks that I was following. It was evident at 80-100 kph. Raising and lowering the screen did not seem to change it. It reminded me of a test ride I once did on an old R100RT but not nearly as bad - I thought that old Beemer was going to throw me off.

Question is: is this normal? I was expecting the bike to feel a lot more planted, even in traffic. My R1100GS with the aerodynamics of a brick is far less affected. When I mentioned this to the sales man he thought the perhaps the tyre pressures weren't right but didn't bother to check them.

I am planning to do another test ride on a new demo and will insist that they ensure the pressures are right, but are there any comments in the mean time please?

Ta

CaST

My first risers
Bike
ST1300A
I have never experienced what you did with my 2005. I rode a Connie just before I test rode the 1300 and the 1300 was far more sturdy than the Connie. I would have to say it was the tires.

Bike
2004 st abs
I had the wobble on my 04 I mad it 95% better by raising the rear suspension and lowering the front forks. I wouldn't buy the bike if it wobbles.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
The wobble/weave experienced by the ST1300 has been traced to two sources (as far as I know)... Improper setup (which can also happen with every tire change)... and improper loading (either with actual loads, tire pressure, and/or suspension settings)... Hope that helps.... :D
:cool:

P.S. I have never personally experienced any instability in my bike (but I don't take my hands off the grips either)... Just my observations from all the posts that I've read... I think I also remember someone having the issue with a fully raised windshield... and I always keep my at its lowest setting..

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I experience a little buffeting when passing large trucks downwind, but it's not excessive. It's simply a matter of dirty air and a lot of body surface on the bike. Nail the throttle, and get around them. Tire pressures and rear shock preload do affect handling, but I think the truck issue is mainly aerodynamic.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Two things that should be quick to check are the tire pressures and rear preload. Crank up the preload at least 3/4 or more of the way and try again. The ST doesn't like the rear end set up too soft.

Other thoughts: Was there a top box fitted? What condition were the tires in? Worn tires or too much weight in a top box can make any bike unstable. Has the bike ever been in an accident?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
In a high cross wind, the ST is the worst bike I've ever had. Like all sport-tourers, its profile resembles a kite.

I'll ride in nearly any weather, but I hate high winds the most.

That said, I've never noticed a 'weave' in windy conditions. :shrug2:

Bike
'06 ST1300A
In addition to the above considerations, another factor is the looseness of the rider. If you ride stiff armed, any buffeting that affects you will be telegraphed to the bike. Yet another is the road. Those with the longitudinal (i.e. running the direction of travel) rain grooves will often cause a bike to do some following of the grooves. Whether or not this happens depends on the tires, the grooves, and the mood of the road trolls.

The ST is actually more stable in crosswinds than an SV650. More sail area, sure, but a lot more mass, including at the most important variety where stability is concerned, gyroscopic (i.e. wheel) mass.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
If you ride stiff armed, any buffeting that affects you will be telegraphed to the bike.
This is probably my main problem. I get so tense during those winds that blow you across two lanes that I'm inviting trouble. :nuts1:

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
This is probably my main problem. I get so tense during those winds that blow you across two lanes that I'm inviting trouble. :nuts1:
I tend to ride a bit loose and I find that when a cross wind hits, the bike just leans into it without a conscious effort on my part. When it lets up, the bike stands up. Never noticed any wobble.

Tom

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Here in Southern California they grind grooves into the concrete in freeways, to help rainwater drain away.

Some combination of tire tread and groove waviness do a nice job of picking up the rain grooves and cause the bike to do a wobble. Feels a lot like trucks and side-winds.

Could be a worn out rear shock/faulty pre load adjuster. When I bought my '04 in March, the pre-load adjuster was shot, fluid had leaked out. Put on a new-used stock shock and the bike transformed into the model of stability at all speeds. If the pre load was down, then the back end will be lower changing the steering geometry, relatively speaking. Mine was a dump truck at slow speeds, the front end would wander when trying to crawl along. New shock and the bike now has the low speed manners of a tricycle, meaning anyone can ride it SLOW. Very stable.

Just got back from a 4 day run up to Jackson Hole Wyoming from Palmer Lake, Colorado and did the ride back in one day yesterday. Plenty of warp-speed open two-laners in Wyoming and then I-80 "Truckers Highway" from Rock Springs, Wy to Laramie. My 04 (now with over 38,340 miles on it after the trip) was STeady as a bullet, literally at times (ha! gotta love the wide open spaces) and I passed plenty of trucks on I-80 with a crosswind at times to know that it is a stable bike.

On I-80 going out on Friday, had one crazy gust of wind move me over a lane heading out on the trip, but that would have moved anyone IMO. My Harley riding buddies had the same thing when a freak gust hit as well with their 850 lb bikes.

As an aside, for various reasons, my buddies have named my ST 1300 the "HRV" for "Harley Recovery Vehicle". Enough said!

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I would agree with the "loose rider" comments.

I ride in the SoCal winds, through the Cajon Pass, regularly. When it gets real bad I let go. The bike knows what to do.

I'll ditto the loose rider as well, with our hands direct-connected to the bars, any upper body movement caused by gusts is telegraphed to the bike if we are holding on tight. My V Strom 1000 sucks in the wind, the ST is a model of civility and stability relative to that.

I've found that the turbulance behind a truck at highway speeds can cause some buffetting of the bike. I've experienced this both with my previous bike (Yamaha XJR) and with my ST1300. The buffetting stops if you drop well back behind the truck, or by passing it :D

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
On buffetting, even a F1 car picks up on dirty air 6-seconds behind the car in front. Aerodynamics are important. As it's now a "natural" phenomenan to me around trucks, gaps in the hedgerows, and tree-tunnels I worry less.

On grooves, there's one that picked up my training 125cc bike last year and dumped across the path of the on comming. It's been resurfaced and I'm on the ST but a groove and man-hole cover remain. I so psych myself up (even daily) the resulting chance of a "wobble" still freaks me out to the amusement of fellow riders as I scrub speed massively entering the complex.

I ditto the riding "loose" comments above but admit to failing on my nemisis corner!

Top Bottom