ST1300 heat

Bike
2001 ST1100
Hello, I have had a st1100 for 7 years and just got a 2012 ST1300 and took it for it's firs 150km ride today. I test drove it before I bought it, but only for 50km(ish).

Now I have read that the ST1300 is hotter than the st1100, but this was crazy hot. I stopped and checked to make sure there was coolant, and there is coolant in the reservoir.

The bars stay at 3 and the fan does kick in when in city traffic. The bars never once changed from 3, which I thought was weird as the ST1100 would always move from 11 o'clock to 12 o'clock and the fan would kick in, then once you were moving it would go back to 11 o'clock. (had heat issues with the st1100, but a new thermostat fixed that). Now I have read that staying at 3 bars is good.

I cannot believe that the st1300 is this hot. It was very uncomfortable and that was riding on a day with temp of 20 celsius, which is my favorite riding temp usually. I can only imagine what this would be like in the summer.

I thought I would post local as I am in London ON, before posting on the tech section.

The bike is so nice to ride, so I really hope this is a fixable issue. If not, there is no way I can ride this bike.

Ideas? Coolant flush, check thermostat. I read something about checking the throttle body.

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
Make sure the seat is on the highest setting. It will keep you from sliding against the hot tank and allows for some air flow as well. i would call this step one. Rented a ST1300 before I bought my current one and didn't know about this. Dang was it ever hot! Now it is only an an issue above 30C. Check the many threads about the heat.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Read this. And consider using the search function in the upper right corner of this page. There are quite a few threads describing this and it has even been said that riding position (knees in tight against the bike) will make the rider feel uncomfortably warm while riding with your knees out allows cooling air to draw the heat away. I've experienced the famous ST heat only once on a very hot day after a spirited ride with a lot of downshifting and accelerating the speed back up after turns. A bead rider will raise your bottom up off the seat maybe 1/2" and allow cooling air under you.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I own both a ST 1100 (2001) and a ST 1300 (2012), and live in the same area as you (Toronto, in my case). I've never had a problem with heat on the ST 1300, except in very rare cases when I am stuck in a traffic jam going no-where and the air temperature is really high (30°C or higher). I don't notice a significant difference between the heat output of the 1100 and the 1300.

This whole "hot ST 1300" issue perplexes me. Enough people have reported it to convince me that the problem must exist on some bikes, but why it affects some riders and not others I do not know.

I keep my seat in the lowest possible position (it's a Corbin seat, for whatever that's worth), and I almost always wear full leathers. On the rare occasions that I go riding in jeans, I don't go far enough for the engine to reach normal operating temperature, so I can't comment on what the heat is like when wearing jeans.

I have the side air deflectors installed on both my 1100 and 1300 - I find that those greatly assist to pull heat out of the side openings on the fairing by creating a low pressure area around the side openings. Unfortunately, Honda no longer offers these accessories for sale.

I'm going to take a wild-assed guess that a possible cause of the heat problem on ST 1300s might be an incorrectly installed heat mat - the large rubber mat that fits between the bottom of the throttle bodies and the top of the engine, and also extends a considerable distance aft of the end of the fuel tank. Another possible cause of excessive heat might be debris caught in the radiator that is impairing airflow through the radiator.

Sometime early next year, when riding season begins, let's you and I get together either in Toronto or London or halfway in between, and we can swap motorcycles and compare notes. I would offer to do it now, but I am out of the country until November.

Michael

This is my second ST 1300 in 12 years and I can say that I noticed heat on my lower legs in 100 degree weather? It doesn't bother me much. Ive had lots worse bikes in the past. I had a early CBR-1000 that would blister your inner thighs in traffic. After that bike,, the 1300 is comfortable as can be..to me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I own one of the "hot" ST's, and after a ride in even medium heat , I find myself thinking about selling it. I love the bike, and riding it in the winter is a joy-however, it is not really rideable in the summer, it's just too hot.
I can tell you what did NOT work:
1. The whole Reflectix /tin foil idea.
2. Ivan's FCE ( no effect, at all it seems)
3.Adding a Gold Wing vent on the side upper fairing.( looks ok though.....)

I have contacted Larry ( Igofar) , who spent a long time on the phone with me, giving me ideas on how to approach this problem. I already ordered some parts, and some extra tools ( looks like I'll be buying a Morgan Carbtune).

Will post results.

OP
OP
Bike
2001 ST1100
Thanks for the replies. This is most unfortunate, as the bike as it stands is much to hot to ride. I guess the only good things is, I have not sold the ST1100.

OP
OP
Bike
2001 ST1100
Ok, so i looked into the rad and it is working fine. The rad gets hot, coolant level good (checked at the rad cap), fans kick in. It seems all the heat is coming from the pipes. So at idle and 3 bars on engine temp gauge I am getting about 380-400 degrees celsius reading off the pipes about 2 inches below the where the pipe attaches to the engine.

Has anyone ever tested the heat. I ask because I have had older bikes running way to lean blow a piston. Could this be a fuel issue or is this normal heat?

Bike
2005 st1300
My bike has always a little on the warm side, but quite bearable, until this year. Last winter I removed the throttle bodies to replace the coolant hoses and now it is unbearable to ride. I have done very little riding this year because of other reasons but I did go south to the smokies this summer and I nearly melted. I am going to tear into it this winter again and see what I may have buggered up. I am thinking I am going to find the rubber mat routed incorrectly. I will remove the lower tank and verify that it is routed properly. I Will let everyone know if I find anything that may be of interest.

Bike
st1300 vfr800
North I am bit south of you . If you want to meet up sometime we can compare bikes and check temps against mine .

STOC #
For me, Honda Fairing deflectors (don’t know if they are still available) did the job for the heat on the shins. A good quality fitted sheepskin like the ones I got here www.cruisncomfort.com got rid of the heat that can roast your nuts. It is also cool to ride on in summer and warmer in cold weather. Did this to both my ST13’s that I have owned. Worth a look. Good luck

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just for argument purposes, I have a 2010 & 2012 & a '04, also sold an '05 (with 174.3K miles) and a '04( with 50K miles) so I feel I know what I'm talking about!

The 2008-(whenever they quit making the cop bikes..2016?) run hotter than the previous years. They added more catalytic in the mufflers. This generates more heat. If you look at years '02-'07, you'll see lack of under the sidecovers side covers, also the steps do not have the "plugs" in the middle of them. Those were there for heat control, not looks!

There are some ways to get rid of some of the heat.
1. Talk to Larry (Igofar) about tuning the bike up (like syncing the throttlebodies)
2. Replace your mufflers with either earlier years, or aftermarket.
3. Find some lower air deflectors. They will help shield your shins from the heat. Check with motorcycle recyclers for wrecked Cop ST1300s. With a little heat, you can remove the double stick mounting tape and apply new.
4. I put some foil/heat shield between my airfilter housing and upper gastank, which has helped, keeping the gas from overheating and smelling, although on real hot days, it still happens.

Good luck, they are GREAT bikes!

OP
OP
Bike
2001 ST1100
Thanks everyone, I took it out for another ride, but it was 9 celcius so the heat was welcomed. The main area that has me concerned is the heat under the seat and the heat on the exposed frame above the foot pegs. I don't really notice heat blowing in off the engine at this point.

The heat on the engine and pipes is just crazy. I had an old 2 stroke blow a hole through the piston because it was running to lean and that engine was hot like this engine, so i am a little concerned.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
This is my second ST 1300 in 12 years and I can say that I noticed heat on my lower legs in 100 degree weather? It doesn't bother me much. Ive had lots worse bikes in the past. I had a early CBR-1000 that would blister your inner thighs in traffic. After that bike,, the 1300 is comfortable as can be..to me.
I used to ride a CB900C that would routinely get around 400 degrees at the spark plugs on a summer day. A couple hundred miles of that and you'd think you'd died and went to Ball Soup Hell.

Compared to that bike, my ST13 is downright comfortable.

the ST1300 is a lot cooler than my 1700 vtwin LOL, yes it puts out heat , i saw a blog about using thermal shielding to dirct the heat and i cant remember where

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I used to ride a CB900C
Hah,,, I still ride a CB900c (my original street bike from 1980),, and a CB1000c. Don't give up on getting the heat down of your ST1300. My '04 runs awesome,,, and I ride in shorts, with proper footware, often during hot summer weather. So it certainly can be done. In all fairness,, my bike is not one of the hot ones. There is lots of expertise here to help you find solutions,,, cheers,, CAt'

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This is where the first ointment will be applied on my machines.

That fix will simply keep the heat in the engine and make it run even hotter :nuts:
It may also cause your header pipes to rust out if you drive in any type of wet weather or wash your bike often.

Top Bottom