ST1300 heat

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Will be much trouble to remove the catalytic from the stock mufflers?
after that (if possible) do you have to remap the computer?
after that, does the bike run cooler?
P.B.

I think a few have tried to remove the catalyst, it's a big pain! Others have gone to aftermarket mufflers. They sound better and I haven't heard of them having to remap their ECMs.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Will be much trouble to remove the catalytic from the stock mufflers?
after that (if possible) do you have to remap the computer?
after that, does the bike run cooler?
P.B.
I'm interested if this idea makes sense also.....

I might try aftermarket mufflers , but getting louder isn't what I'm after, less heat would be nice..... :)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm interested if this idea makes sense also.....

I might try aftermarket mufflers , but getting louder isn't what I'm after, less heat would be nice..... :)
If you don't have them, look for some lower air deflectors. Even used ones. Wrecked cop bikes would be a good source. just make sure you get the maintenance cover too!

To reuse them, take a heat gun on low, heat up the old tape a bit and then peal it off, if it does peal off, it's not hot enough...just don't over do it. Then use some alcohol to remove any residue. Add the new tape, use the alcohol to clean your fairings and carefully mount them on.

They will create a barrier between your legs and the heat coming off the lowers, and they do make a difference.

Start with a plug change and throttle body sync. Might smooth it out and cool it down.
Done all that. Checked starter valve balance several times. Including last time with calibrated gauges.
Spent hours trying propane enrichment
Check map and throttle position sensors
Cleaned and flow tested injectors replaced all vacuum tubes and tees
Made fitting for end of fuel rail and checked fuel pressure.
Everything is bang on spec.
Was told fuel pressure can be ok but flow is not enough and was engineering a way to test that when I read about the o2 sensors and how they affect fuel mapping.
According to some "experts" they are extremely prone to failure and the kilometers on my bike are in the sweet spot for sensor fsilure.
They can even give the appearance of working ok but apparently their response time can be out of wack and even this can cause leaning out.
I know i am clutching at straws but i have tried everything i know and had it a three different mechanics with no solution yet.
Will know for sure when my you beaut chinese o2 sensor turns up.
If I am right you will hear the cheer all the way over in the US!! If not wanna buy a cheap ST1300. Only ridden by a little old lady to church on Sundays.
Promise!

That fix will cause damage to your hoses and wire harness and get pretty pricey as well.
I've had several members bring me their bikes and ask me to remove the foil stuff and repair/replace the wiring harness and such due to damage after trying this fix :doh1:
I think that in the owners manual they give you 2 options of spark plugs.
How do I know which one makes the bike runs cooler?
Does the plug # give you this info?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I think a few have tried to remove the catalyst, it's a big pain! Others have gone to aftermarket mufflers. They sound better and I haven't heard of them having to remap their ECMs.
I tried the custom Del's,,, and while I did not particularly like the tone at first,,, I then found them great once I put my custom fit earplugs in. But the big bonus was that less restriction resulted in a smoother and noticeably stronger acceleration. I did not notice a dramatic drop in heat,, although it is possible, as my bike did not run uncomfortably hot with the stock pipes. It would have been interesting to take an IR heat reading at the catalytic zone of the oem mufflers to compare it to the same region of the Del's pipes. I do expect that BlueSTar does not have as good an emission's output as it did with the oem mufflers. CAt' ps: the Del's are still in place,, with no plans to switch back to stock

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
I tried the custom Del's,,, and while I did not particularly like the tone at first,,, I then found them great once I put my custom fit earplugs in. But the big bonus was that less restriction resulted in a smoother and noticeably stronger acceleration.... the Del's are still in place,, with no plans to switch back to stock
What length cans on your machine?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
What length cans on your machine?
I have the 18" ovals. Also worth mentioning,, after losing an original short baffle (yes, they can come loose and drop out),,, I then ran it without baffles,, and did not like that. So when ordering replacements,, I ordered the new longer baffles, which I found had a bit nicer tone than the shorties. Be sure to check your baffle retention bolt regularly,,, 4mm allen bolt,, as they do come loose with heat cycles and vibration,,, cheers, CAt'

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
Have been running 14" round slashcuts with baffles for the past three years on my 1100. Anything past 3000 rpm, starts barking pretty good. Riding without earplugs is not an option.

A hot day and spirited riding definitely will start the fan working.

Looking forward to taming a 1300. :cbcgw: :usflag1: :headbang::run1:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
You could also consider a weekend trip to Arizona and see if the ST-Whisperer can tame it for you?
Of course, that would probably mean pointing out several other issues that your bike has that you may not know about :rofl1:
But I'm guessing by the time you make it back home again that you'll view your bike in a completely different light. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom