ST1300 Hondaline Heated Grips Discontinued

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Hello:

I am new to this site and the ST1300. I was fortunate in that I found a brand new 2009 ST1300A that had never been sold by the dealer. I ended up getting it for about $5, 000.00 off of a new 2011. I now want to set it up to my liking and ordered the Hondaline heaated grips installation kit P/N 08T50-MCS-300 towards that end. The dealer received a response from Honda saying that these these heated grips have been discontinued with no replacement P/N. I received the same response from both American and Canadian Honda dealers. Anyone know about this? Is there a Honda OEM replacement? Thanks in advance for any help.

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Hi Andrew
Yes your out of luck up here in Canada. I ordered a set in the States in Nov. 2011 and said that your lucky I have 1 left. I would shop around,I bought mine from Nelson Enterprise in Illinois. Some parts outlets might have some left in shock. Good luck and if I can help let me know. Oh and wecome to the FORUM there is a lot of info.

Lyle

Bike
07 st 1300
I have been told that Honda will have a new system soon. No dates were anounced. I believe they realized there was a quality issue. Murph

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Honda as a new design out in Europe for the NT700. Maybe they will work on the ST. Taken from the NT forum.

New version of Honda heated grips
Honda has released an updated version of their heated grips for the NT700. New is that the size of the grips are 5 mm less in diameter compared to the previous version of heated grips, and that a newly developed control switch is delivered together with the grips. This control switch has the same function as the previous one. First press sets the grips to maximum power and additional pressings lower the power. There are three levels of power. The button is illuminated and respond with flashes for power level 3, 2 and 1. The cost of the new version of heated grips should be the same as the previous ones.

My impression of the new device is that it looks very nice and "flush" with the grip and other control buttons. The "must have" thoughts rised up a step immediately :)

Part number is 08T50-MEW-800A for the grips.
You also need the cable harness 08A30-MEW-800 for additional 45 USD

Bike
2006 ST1300A
New is that the size of the grips are 5 mm less in diameter compared to the previous version of heated grips, and that a newly developed control switch is delivered together with the grips.
Well, hock! One thing I liked about my ST1300 Honda heated grips was the larger-than-standard diameter.

Bike
'08 ST 1300
STOC #
0a0t99
My ordering of Honda heated grips has just gone up in flames. I ordered them and paid for them about a week ago at my local Honda dealer. One of the parts guys called me and said they are back ordered. I guess all the reports of them being discontinued is spot on. So now what to do?????

I guess I'll go with an aftermarket brand. You guys have given several good options. I'm not sure I want to be the first to try the grips for the NT 700. As you all know that have them now, once you have heated grips, you never want to go back to unheated.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Hot Grips is also an option. http://www.hotgrips.com/index.php I installed them on my ST1100 with their variable controller- which I highly suggest if you go this route. They heated up really quickly, got way to hot to leave on maximum and were very easy to install. The only complaint I had with them is I found them to be very hard to the point where they became uncomfortable after very long rides. However, when I say long rides I am talking about 400 miles and over at a time. I was considering putting a pair of grip puppies over them to soften things up but I scrapped the bike before I got around to it so I can't say.

Bike
ST1300, my only bike
I have some Bike Master heated grips and a quartet harness on the way, what plug do I need to plug the grips into the quartet harness?

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have some Bike Master heated grips and a quartet harness on the way, what plug do I need to plug the grips into the quartet harness?
The quartet harness comes with a six pin male connector that plugs in to the motorcycle's wiring harness. You do not need anything to connect this.

The connectors that are available for use on the quartet harness are commonly called Hitachi connectors but they are actually MTW .110” Sumitomo connectors.
The connectors are the colours listed below. To mate to them, you need the following connectors, not necessarily in the same colours;
One nine (9) pin male connector, colour- natural/clear.
One three (3) pin male connector, colour- black.
One three (3) pin male connector, colour- natural/clear.
One three (3) pin male connector, colour- red.

You can order these connectors from a US company called Cycle Terminal. Follow this link- Locking Type MTW .110 Connectors.
You will also need to order the terminals to go with these connectors, also available from Cycle Terminal.

How many connectors you need to order depends on how many accessories you would like to connect to the quartet harness.
Which connectors you use and which terminals you connect to depends on how you want the accessory you are connecting to function.
i.e. With the ignition switch in the run position only, accessory position only, both positions, or powered all of the time.

To determine that, you will need the quartet harness pin-out.
Here are a couple of links to that;
ST1300 - Quartet Harness Pin out.
ST1300 - Quartent Harness/Heated Grips Schematic.

You can also simply cut the Sumitomo connectors off and either hard-wire directly to the quartet harness or replace them with standard connectors that are readily available.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
You can also simply cut the Sumitomo connectors off and either hard-wire directly to the quartet harness or replace them with standard connectors that are readily available.
+1 :thumb:
I'm cheap and practical, I like the look of the OEM, but... I'm more frugal

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The Hondaline grips were overpriced and not very reliable. You're better off with aftermarket anyway.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
To which version do you refer? The original ST heated grips or the version shown in post #5 above?
The original Hondaline grips

206,000 miles and 12 years is pretty reliable in my eyes. :biggrin:
Sounds like you have had good luck with the Hondaline ones Mike, but I recall numerous posts about the system, or one of the grips, failing early on. Also Honda didn't make any of the individual components available separately - had to buy a whole new system. That's what led me to install an aftermarket set for <1/5 the price of the Hondaline ones back when I first bought my 1300.

Hi,
Been riding my 07 ST13, new to me January this year, and have been following the heated grips info after cold rides in April and May . If I understand correctly the Hondaline has been discontinued, loved by some , not by others. I decided to buy these on ebay : https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233491994093 . I also emailed the seller and got this reply to my questions all pasted below. I think its a new set of the original Hondaline. There is currently Grip Puppies over original grips with a Throttlemeister . The Grip Puppies are a little large for me and I prefer the original Honda grips so I'm hoping the heated Honda Grips have similar feel to Honda unheated ?? And hoping to keep the Throttlemeister with the heated grips - are they compatible ?. Also the kit comes with the " quartet harness" which I think I need to power the grips and the GPS/iPhone I'm going to install. (Currently only electrical addition is for the battery tender).
What do you guys think ? They'll be here end of the month so may not need until fall LOL

Per Honda, this is a complete set with the parts included, listed below.

Heated grip harness
Harness boot
Tube
Wire tie (short)
Wire tie (long)

Quartet harness
Wire tie

Right heated grip
Left heated grip
Controller
Owner’s Manual

We hope this helps! Have a great weekend.​
kmartincbr:
Hi I'd like to buy this can you please tell me :
- is it new, in original unopened package?
-the complete set heated grips and wiring or just an attachment kit ?
I'm looking for the complete set.
Thanks
Ken​

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
What do you guys think ?
Unless he is quoting the wrong P/N, this ad is for an attachment Kit, P/N 08T70-MCS-R60. This P/N kit consists of a rubber boot, some heat shrink tubing and about a dozen nylon tie wraps.
That P/N does not include the heated grips, the wiring sub-harness, the quartet harness or the controller.

A complete Honda heated grip set, installation kit, sub-harness, quartet harnesses and controller would be 10 times that amount of money if it was available at all.

I would check hard before ordering from anyone who claims that they have Honda ST1300 heated grip kits. There haven't been any available for a long time.

Unless he is quoting the wrong P/N, this ad is for an attachment Kit, P/N 08T70-MCS-R60. This P/N kit consists of a rubber boot, some heat shrink tubing and about a dozen nylon tie wraps.
That P/N does not include the heated grips, the wiring sub-harness, the quartet harness or the controller.

A complete Honda heated grip set, installation kit, sub-harness, quartet harnesses and controller would be 10 times that amount of money if it was available at all.

I would check hard before ordering from anyone who claims that they have Honda ST1300 heated grip kits. There haven't been any available for a long time.
Hi Andrew thanks for your reply - that old saying when something sounds to good to be true - it usually is - seems to apply here!
That's why I emailed and asked them to specify what was in the package and as you can see they replied it had everything !!
I will be taking this up with the seller and ebay of course - this is a misrepresentation.
Just can't believe I fell for it !!

Top Bottom