ST1300 Hondaline Heated Grips Discontinued

(TLDR: I think any Honda heated 7/8ths grips can easily be adapted to an st1300)

Got my 08 st1300 last fall (2020) and wanted heated grips because I ride 365 in Seattle minus snow days. Web said everything is discontinued. I don't like the look of external controller blocks like heat masters, or bike masters or oxfords, that you have to find some place to mount. But I realized something that is useful to everyone here.

Previously, for my 2013 VFR1200F, I got the stock Honda heated grips. Grip$$$+harne$$$=Plugged right in of course. I Installed them just like the factory wanted them down to the last zip tie. They work great and I'm very happy that the 3 Level switch is integrated into the grip, and the "electronic brain" block is tucked out of the way on the harness inside the fairing. Clean. They look very very much like the grips in the above post about the NT700. So, after this VFR experience, I realized that the only thing the "Honda harness" does is adapt the power needed by the grips to the type of connector the bike has on it's harness (sumitomo or otherwise), and that in the VFR case, only 2 wires actually connected to the bike (black and white, power and ground). These grips can go on ANY bike. (7/8 grip size). Duh. So I ordered some VFR1200F heated grips over the winter and installed nice clean "Honda" heated grips on my ST. No big ugly block needing mounting on the bike.

So, if you wrench on your own bike, and know basic 12v DC electrical work, crimp or solder, tape or heat shrink, etc, you can put any Honda grips on your ST.

Problems:
The VFR1200F heated grips are apparently now out of stock.
But any newer honda bike with grips as an option will probably function and install the same way (see the NT700 post above). See CBR1000R grips
Warning: some bikes, like my CTX1300 (which I must sell, because the St1300 is superior by far) has integrated Honda grips with 5 levels of heat, and feedback to the console display to show what heat level is currently set. So I'm sure the harness of these grips has more wires: Power and ground and extra wires to signal the display about the power level. I'd bet a pretty penny that they will still function if provided 12V and ground, and the signal wires were left unconnected. The switch on the grip itself has an led light that blinks the Power level. (1 to 3 on my VFR and St1300. 1 to 5 on the CTX1300). To wrap this up, if you want grips on your ST and you don't want a controller block mounted external to your bike, look for the cheapest Honda heated grips, preferably on a bike that doesn't have a display (not CTX, goldwings etc) or there are also Koso Apollo's that also hide the controller module in the harness.

The VFR grips (out of stock within the past 9 months) were simple to install on my ST1300. Glue. 12v. ground. done.
Hope that helps some ST owners.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I am quite pleased with my Koso AM111030 7/8" + 1" Apollo Heated Grips I installed on my ST1300. Simple to install; just two wires for power and no separate controller to route wires to and mount (like the OEM Honda grips you descibe). I added the appropriate 3 terminal Hitachi connector and plugged them into the quartet harness terminal intended for the Hondaline OEM heated grips.

The control's in the grip. Illuminated with color coded LED to indicate heat level of which there are five (versus the Honda 3 levels). It remembers your last setting so when you turn them on so you're right back where you were the last time. The middle setting is usually as hot as I I'd ever want, but I haven't experienced frigid arctic temperatures since I installed them.

Oh, and I find them to be comfortable grips as well. Liked 'em so much I bought a set for my son's VStrom.

1628453002691.png

Top Bottom