ST1300 Non-ABS Rear Brake Disabled

Bike
‘06 ST1300
Hey guys, just purchased a '06 ST1300 Non-ABS and ran it by the local bike shop to get some tires mounted.

The previous owner stated the rear pad was worn and he had adjusted something on the bike to keep from damaging the rear disc.

I mentioned this to the shop and asked them to give it a look over. They threw the tires on and found out the rear brake had been completely disabled. They suspect one of the hydraulic lines had been clamped or plugged.

I can only assume the previous owner had a rear master cylinder failure and/or a secondary master cylinder failure and bypassed the rear brake to keep from having to make a repair.

So my question is this - how do I track down where the lines were plugged and/or clamped?

I don't like the idea of not having a rear brake - and am willing to purchase a new RMC & SMC and install it myself - But with the linked brake system and complicated bleeding procedure, it feels pretty intimidating.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Would really appreciate some advice.
Easy-peasy.
Message Larry / @Igofar with your phone number, it would be helpful to include pics of the rear brake caliper and area to start with, and wait for him to call.
Then you answer his questions, and order the parts he recommends, wait for them to arrive, call him on the number he provides, and you get to work as he directs you in clear language while he plays his guitar for you, at no additional charge.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
And there are some pretty pictures here showing how the fluid lines are all connected. They will (hopefully) help you to follow the logic.

Download the pdf in the first post.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I’d start with a visual inspection of all 3 calipers looking for missing fittings or dangling hoses and if that doesn’t reveal anything proceed to a bleed of the brakes looking for the circuit that does not pass fluid into the rear caliper. There is a specific sequence of bleeding. Check your Conversations inbox (the little envelope icon) for a step by step tutorial on the hydraulic brake system. With the help of the forum and this pdf you can do this.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If the previous owner DISABLED the brakes, who knows what else they did (or didn't do) to the bike.

Disabling a safety feature should be (and might be) illegal!

Not telling the new owner could end up costing someone their life.

Grand Rouge

Site Supporter
Bike
05 ST / 83 GS 1100E
Just wondering....Is the previous owner known and is said previous owner alive? Perhaps the previous owner could be a direct source of information re rear brake situation?

OP
OP
cneher
Bike
‘06 ST1300
Got clarification from the previous owner today -

“should clarify the rear was dragging like the caliper was hanging up, tossed it up on service stand and cracked the rear bleeder at the back caliper but it made no change, so then we figured out that the front left caliper had a secondary master cylinder that also controlled the rear brake, bleed it there and it rolled freely! I thought about bypassing the linked brakes but did not, nothing is pinched or capped”

Going to connect with Igofar soon to troubleshoot.

I believe my purchasing logic was a bit clouded by my dads recent passing. It will be a little project getting her rollin - but it will be worth it.

I was just so dang excited to get back on a bike - been 10yrs.

My kids are already talking about a motorcycle being their “first car.” They’re 5, 8, & 10. Pretty cool :)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The good news is, the entire brake / SMC components are entirely do-it-yourself-able, especially with Larry to guide you.
How do I know this?
Because I did it. With Larry's help of course.
And once done, it's easier to maintain, and you have one of the nicest bikes ever made.
Outside of this forum, and even sometimes in here, this machine is often under-rated.
But that only means we have found a goldmine of affordable, comfortable 2-wheeled enjoyment.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Beautiful, congratulation!
Replacing the SMC is a kind of ritual on the ST and when done, you will enjoy this bike for ever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cneher
Bike
‘06 ST1300
Don't fret, we'll get that bike running as well as it looks (or better) in no time.
I got this :rofl1:
Man Larry, I’m so relieved to get to learn from you on this bike… a truly special opportunity… thanks so much man!

Top Bottom