ST1300 OEM Top Case installation

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't have a top box of any kind but do have some questions. The factory box has some movement built into the base. Some say... This is to allow some shift in the box to make smoother transitions in handling. Do the DIY solutions have this? It doesn't look like it. Do any other third-party solutions or other bikes' OEM kit offer this built-in movement? I put a Vetter trunk on my GL1000 and experienced impaired handling when it was heavily laden. Empty it's presence was felt but not annoyingly so.
As long as you have the OEM mounting plate to top box hooks into you could make a bottom bracket and that would allow the side to side movement of the OEM case. The mounting plate that the case attaches to has oblong holes that attached to the lower bracket that attaches to the bike. We're only talking an inch of side to side movement at most.
Any aftermarket case has no side to side movement (even the Givi mount designed for the ST1300) so I don't think it would be a big deal if it didn't move.

Here's a video showing the Givi mount on an st1300. It's rigid with only 2 bolts.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Tried to email them regarding availability. No response so far.
thanks for the response. I think I will try make one out of .125 sheet aluminum. I can locate holes from case and carrier.
Can anyone give me the setback ie offset of carrier to bracket holes?

Thanks again

Ride on!
Ride Safe!
I'll dig my extra case out today and take some measurements and photos for you.

OP
OP
acmeflyer
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I really appreciate your help with this.
DoEs the carrier mount replace the grab rail cover. #14 in photo.573B754B-E6E1-4CA3-93DF-CC6E7A7EFF20.png573B754B-E6E1-4CA3-93DF-CC6E7A7EFF20.png

Thanks

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Like the Sheriff said, that stays in place.
That is the part that someone had made out of aluminum on my bike to mount a universal Givi mount to.
When I got my OEM case I removed the Givi plate and attached the 2 Pan mounts to it. It was either that or I had to purchase that part to fill in the gaps.

The carrier plate mounts thru the same holes as the grab rail cover. The grab rail cover becomes a filler in between or you'd see some "holes" at the rear of the passenger seat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
acmeflyer
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Thanks for the clarification. That should make the carrier bracket fabrication simpler.

OP
OP
acmeflyer
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I promised some pics.
1. Carrier. (Not my cat)
2. Doing some eyeballing.
3. Fabricated lid stay. (One side was missing)
4. Original stay

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I promised some pics.
1. Carrier. (Not my cat)
2. Doing some eyeballing.
3. Fabricated lid stay. (One side was missing)
4. Original stay
I didn't even notice the fabricated stay was different (both the brass knob and the stay cable) until you mentioned it. Good job!

OP
OP
acmeflyer
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Has anyone been able to modify the top case to match the lock to the rest of the bike so you only need one key?

Thanks

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Does anyone know where I can buy the mounting hardware pictured below? Most places show it as being discontinued.
1612752354766.png

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Ah, ok, sorry. You should be able to find fasteners that will work at a good hardware supplier like Grainger or Fastenal. The caps/plugs will be more difficult to find.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
As said above the hardware (bolts, washers & nuts) can be picked up anywhere as long as it's the proper size. The caps are not really required as the top box would cover them. The only thing you'd have to get creative with is the oval rubber bushings that give the top plate some side to side movement. It's not a deal breaker though if you end up securing the top box so there isn't any side to side play.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
If you cannot find the real base plate, you can make one yourself. I made one from a plastic cutting board that basically sat between the top box mounting plate and the rear carrier on the bike. The material was easy to work with. Bolts and nuts can be found anywhere.

Top Bottom