Article [13] ST1300 - Pulls to the Right

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I'll say again, there must be something more than the torque sequence that is causing this problem. We're going to have to find a way to put this bike on a super sensitive alignment machine.

STOC #
For anyone whose bike won't track straight, I think it's time for a visit to Computrack. My ST1100 used to pull to the right. I accidentally fixed it when I replace my rusty swing arm. During this process, I discovered that the left/right sides of the swing arm were not correctly aligned HORIZONTALLY by over 1mm. I was able to correct this by shimming the final drive box at it's mount to the swingarm. Doing so obviously alters the front/rear wheel alignment slightly. This also solved a chronic condition of excess wear and tear on the splines, cush drive and wheel hub.

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
this thread caught my interest only because i'm in the manual to see how to r/r the rear wheel and on page 16-4 under troubleshooting

steers to one side or does not track straight:

bent rear axle-runout is have the total indicator reading

SERVICE LIMIT: 0.2 mm (0.01 in)

i havent read this whole thread so this info might have been given before

dave

STOC #
Sorry for the delay, I was so excited to get my bike home again that I just had to say something but can't type so I had to arrange for some time to hunt and peck.

IMO its fixed! The bike just barely has an issue at all now, I would call it a tendency to go right instead of a pull.

I can sit slightly left on the seat now and control the bike by leaning my weight a little. I can go left, I can go right, or I can go STraight. It just happens to go right a little easier than any other option. Its a dramatic improvement. I think maybe that the tire might just be the issue now since it had 2200 miles on it with the misalignment problem. I'd be willing to bet that the issue will go away completely when its time to replace the tire.

Its STill not real clear what the actual problem was other than a possible combination of overtorqued faSTeners and a cocked spacer. They didn't hold the old parts for me like I asked, they said they sent the removed parts back to Honda as requeSTed by Honda.

All the work on my bike was done under warranty and coST me nothing, at some point a heard a dollar figure of more than $600 in parts alone. I have no clue how many manhours were involved. I only mention this because I'm sure that some of your ST's that have this problem are no longer under warranty and you want to know.

I'm a commercial aircraft mechanic and I've done OK at car/truck modification and repair so I would have tried to fix this myself if mine wasn't under warranty, not sure I would shotgun $600 worth of parts at it but I can't say that it didn't need all those parts either. So moST of you could probably get yours at leaST to this point.

I must say at leaST once more how much help Desoto Honda has been with this. :bow1: I'm not sure they wouldn't STill be trying to resolve the laST little bit of the issue if I hadn't told them I had to have the bike back by the weekend. They may have even changed the tire at this point but I don't need a new tire at Deals Gap next week so I'm kinda glad they didn't.

I am very pleased indeed...:D:D:D

STOC #
Here's the list and I just realized its not complete because it doesn't show the left fork. There were multiple orders because they got 2 left forks cases the first order and when they re-ordered they got yet another left and ended up overnighting a right fork case. Anyway this list only reflects the right lower fork case so there may have been additional parts left off the list.

44620-MCS-G00 1 COLLAR FR.
91053-MCS-G01 2 BEARING (6205UU)
91252-MCS-G01 2 DUST SEAL (34X52X10)
44312-MCS-G00 1 COLLAR L. FR.
44311-MCS-G00 1 COLLAR R. FR.
51420-MCS-G01 1 CASE R. (LOWER)
08208-0010 2 FLUID (SS-8 10W)

Hope this helps..

STOC #
Here's an update just in case anyones still curious about my pulling issue..

Bike still has the slight pull as described after the work by the dealer and approx 450+ miles. I still believe that what remains is a tire issue and will go away when I replace the tire. I was hoping it would wear in and go away but it hasn't changed so I guess I'll just live with this "minor" pull until I need a tire for it. I've read and heard that these stock tires that came on the bike are crap anyway so there will be an upgrade when the time comes... Going to go find a tire thread now!

My pull like hell to the right. I am bring it in thursday and see if the pinch bolts really going to work. Keep you posted.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I changed my front tire out this week. When I reinstalled the wheel I used the approach in the 2008 Dealer Setup Instructions.

Before, since day one leaving the dealer, I have a severe pull to the right. Severe meaning more than just a slight drift. I would have to grab the tank with my knees and prepare myself to lean left a little before taking my hands off the bar to get it to almost track straight.

After the wheel install, there is a very little drift to the right but it's almost not there anymore. I might say this is only due to new tires but I consciously remembered this issue when I went to pick up the bike so it was one of the first things I tested on the way home.

mikefred

100/day 3-5 days a week
Mine pulls as well.
CAn't really take my hands off the bars at all.
New tires are going on next week (PR2's).
Gonna tell me dealer to check the pull prior and after to compare, and also follow the install instructions to the letter.
I'll chime in when it's done.

Just installed an audiovox CC last month only to find that the pull to the right was worse than I thought. I have since just completed a western states tour of a touch under 5k miles and found that the more miles I put on the bike the worse the pull became and that the front tire was cupping and wearing much worse on the left side. By the time I got home the tires were past wore out and I was excited to put a set of Avon Storms on that I had purchased prior to leaving. I removed the tires from the bike, took them to the local dealer to dismount/mount and balance and then installed them according to my 07 ST manual. I was less than impressed when on my test run not only was the pull still there (although not as bad, but you would have to see the old tires to understand), but I now have a bad weave at anything over 80-90mph. I just did 20 mile runs in Montana, never dropping below 120mph on the GPS on the old bridgestones and now can't seem to even pass a semi. I have followed the procedure three times, bouncing the tire both standing next to it and by running it a few feet and hitting the brakes on and off. I didn't make any changes to the preload or damping so I don't know what to think, but I do know that I can't run it like this and actually enjoy it. I had to back off a little run with a new ford shelby today because at 90mph it got flat scarey!! I probably need to go to the high speed weave thread as the pull to the right seems trivial now.:confused: Any help is welcome.

STOC #
Update: My ST now has 5700 miles on it and it has been improving ever so slowly. I don't see any difference in the tire wear left or right. The right pull has become obvious only at lower speeds like 45 and 50, 65-70 it seems to just follow the road mostly and at 80 mph there is no pull and the bike is tracking straight. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom