ST1300 Rear Shock Rebuild

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Hey guys, based on your experience, should I pursue rebuilding the rear shock on my bike (is it even rebuildable) as I have 37K miles on the clock? Since I'll be taking everything apart for inspection and replace worn out components now would be a good time to address rear shock. My ST is a 2003MY. Thanks for your feedback!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
From what I've read the OEM shock isn't rebuildibale unless you have specific tools. You can service the preload and replace the spring yourself but the rest should be done by a professional.

If it was me I'd buy an upgrade replacement from one of the companies that do suspension stuff.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Others on here have had theirs rebuilt by Racetech. I took one to a local suspension shop for a rebuild and he said he couldn't rebuild it. I ended up getting a new OEM one.

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thanks guys! - I've seen this u-tube showing the rebuild of the rear shock suggested to be done after 30K miles, which got me started. I've sent request for quotes to several suspension shops which didn't seem to think the shock was rebuildable.

I'll try Racetech.

Reactions: Obo

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks guys! - I've seen this u-tube showing the rebuild of the rear shock suggested to be done after 30K miles, which got me started. I've sent request for quotes to several suspension shops which didn't seem to think the shock was rebuildable.

I'll try Racetech.
Out of curiosity, have you checked or opened up the preload adjuster? On a bike of your vintage, there may not be any oil left in it, and it may make a difference. Will certainly be less expense than a new shock, and of course all the how-to you need is in here and on the 'Tube.
I've actually heard / read the same thing about OEM shocks, not just the ST but many other models, insofar as needing attention / rebuild / replacement around 30-40k miles.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
@Sadlsor let's be honest, most brand new MC suspension isn't setup for the majority of today's riders. We North American's are usually overloading the bike's max capacity from either too much rider weight, luggage, towing or a mix of any of the above. Add in wear and tear as the bike ages and not only does that mean replacement, but realistically you should upgrade the actual rating on the units (your case may vary - I only speak from my case.)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It isn't clear to me by what you have written whether you are planning to rebuild the shock in its stock configuration or not. It seems to be an opinion held by several on this forum that the OEM shock, front springs are woefully under capacity for anyone who tips the scales at more than around 175 pounds. If you are in that category, consider taking the money being spent on a rebuild to do an upgrade, be it upgrading the OEM shock or replacing it with an aftermarket one more suited to your weight. After having done that, you will then probably want to upgrade your front suspension to match. Its an endless cycle.

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
I had mine rebuilt by EPM Performance Imports
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a shot.

Out of curiosity, have you checked or opened up the preload adjuster?
Haven't touched it yet, gathering info at this point for my planning. From the u-tube clip it seems that there are wear components integral to the shock that need replacement as well (bushings, seals, possibly rod, etc.).

but realistically you should upgrade the actual rating on the units (your case may vary - I only speak from my case.)
Good point, after suspension overhaul I normally set the sag for my weight (ride mostly solo and don't take much luggage).

Thank you guys.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a shot.

Haven't touched it yet, gathering info at this point for my planning. From the u-tube clip it seems that there are wear components integral to the shock that need replacement as well (bushings, seals, possibly rod, etc.).

Good point, after suspension overhaul I normally set the sag for my weight (ride mostly solo and don't take much luggage.

Thank you guys.
For me that is backwards. I'd be disappointed if I overhauled the suspension only to find out I couldn't get sag right then needed to install upgraded springs in the forks and shock. I had my stock shock rebuilt & revalved by RaceTech at some point - I can't remember exactly - but it was over 70,000 miles which I when I overhauled the front forks and added preload to correct for excess sag.

If you weigh more than about 175 lbs in riding gear you may think hard about stiffer springs when you measure sag. The wear items in the suspension are probably just fine at 37,000 and even twice that and more but the OEM undersprung suspension never gets stiffer.

Last edited:

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
For about $400 Traxxion Dynamics rebuilt, revalved, and resprung my stock shock. Much better than new.
Other than refilling the preload, I have not had a shock go bad out of several ridden 60,000-75,000 miles.
Daugherty Motorsports also has the same service for oem ST1300 shocks.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
About "respringing" the rear.

Many have been happy with upgrading the OEM 900 #/in to a 1300 #/in rear shock spring.

It already takes a few preload clicks just to hold a lightweight rider, let's say 180 #.

Max load on the ST is about 400 #. Which means that when fully loaded, you need to crank up the preload to support the additional 220#.

After rider only preload, you may have only about .2 in preload travel left, which is only 180 # with a 900# OEM spring, short of the 220 you'd need to get back to proper sag.

The OEM spring is not adequate for full load US touring.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey guys, based on your experience, should I pursue rebuilding the rear shock on my bike (is it even rebuildable) as I have 37K miles on the clock? Since I'll be taking everything apart for inspection and replace worn out components now would be a good time to address rear shock. My ST is a 2003MY. Thanks for your feedback!
Based on my experiences. No you should not do anything to the rear shock until you ride the bike about 20,000 miles to see how it fits you. Whats missing in all the replies so far is "In my opinion". I have never seen an ST that was kept inside and stored normally that was "worn out" other than tires at 37k miles.

I like the way my stock 2006 ST1300 rear shock rides gently along the rough roads and doesn't jar my back. I use no preload as I don't want to make the bike any taller when I'm sitting on the bike. Nobody is riding back seat with me anymore but I do carry a full camping setup. My bike is fully adequate for US and Canadian roads touring anywhere.

At your age how many roadtrips will you be making with over 400 pounds on the bike?

Clean it up and ride it a bit then see if you need stiffer (rough riding) springs. My humble opinion backed by thousands of smooth riding miles on stock springs.

Congrats on the new to you bike. I don't even know what a 2003MY model is??

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
2003 Model Year.
MY is Model Year, it's not an unheard of or little known ST variant, but we don't often see it written this way.

i own a 2004 ST and have put several trips with about 400 lbs on it and had no problems with the ride that really bothered me or my wife and no no no we weigh at about 125 for my wife and 225 for me with a full panniers and a full tour pack with tied down stuff on the luggage rack. Yes it might have been better with a upgrade, but I don't ride that aggressively with us both on and the extra weight is on the back so cranking up the preload takes care of it.
Never bottomed or had handling that made me nervous. Do ride it for a while first. if you are after more performance I also have a 1400 Concours that will more than meet the performance needs- get one of those and haul butt.
I also like the smoother ride for long distances, What I really do like about the ST is how comfortable the seats is for the two of us on long rides.

OP
OP
draser
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
If you weigh more than about 175 lbs in riding gear you may think hard about stiffer springs when you measure sag.
Yeah, you're correct and I do weigh more than 175lbs (w/out gear LOL...) On my previous bikes I had to add spacers to forks for correct sag (and replaced sprinds with progressive wound), however the rear shocks preload adjustment had enough range for my weight. But that was then... not sure about this ST rear shock, eyeballing the coil diameter seems to be enough but his bike is a lot heavier as well... may end up replacing the spring??? More to come on this one.

What I really do like about the ST is how comfortable the seats is
That's pretty much why I bought this bike if I'm honest, my current Magna and Nighthawk had enough power but after a 300 mile ride my behind wasn't happy.

Top Bottom