Article [13] ST1300 - RECALL: Ground Connector/Wire Harness (Bike Year: 2003-2004)

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Re: Ground cap repair kit

If I remember right, they wanted to change the entire wire harness if the cap was melted? If not melted, the warranty replacement parts included a new ground cap with a ground wire that needed to be connected to the frame. and a new upper tank to lower tank connection hose.

DANS ST

AKA Dan Nelson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #

WOW!!

That's why I hang out here, guys (and gals) like Blrfl and AzDesertRider. :bow1:

This forum is awesome!!

Yup, agreeded with Huckson,
I also encounter the same problem like wat he stated. I'm riding a 03' ST1300 Pan European.
The ground cap was found detoriated..I've experienced the fuel pump failing while riding due to the ground cap issue. Got the problem fixed temporary by bypassing a temporary ground cable to the main frame.
Did a check with STealers in Singapore, they claimed that there was no such recall in Singapore, Wat the H@%*?? I understand that the 03' model was recalled all over US and EU, yet they claimed that there was no recall??
Ask them regarding the ground cap recall kit, and they told me the same thing, CONTROLLED ITEM, not allowed to be sold.
Emailed online to the shops in the US and they claimed the same thing, CONTROLLED ITEM, not allowed to be sold.
So does this item really a CONTROLLED ITEM in US?
GRD CAP RECALL KIT:32101-MCS-305
Can anyone here able to help me purchase this item in US?
Was wondering replacing the ground cap will solve all the grounding issues for my bike?

Jeff

If I remember right, they wanted to change the entire wire harness if the cap was melted? If not melted, the warranty replacement parts included a new ground cap with a ground wire that needed to be connected to the frame. and a new upper tank to lower tank connection hose.

That's the recall kit I'm looking for....

Jeff

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

You might want to call Honda Corporate directly to see if they agree with the local $tealers.

Mark

Thank you Mr AzDesertRider for replying to this post , i was wondering anybody in here know of any place where we can order the ground cap repair kit. Thanks :)

Bike
st1300
STOC #

Just thinking out loud; if they won't sell the complete kit (fuel hose & ground cap) wonder if they will sell the just the ground cap connector as a separate part?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #

I think your best bet is going to be seeing if Honda will repair it, because we can't order the part here, either. The recall instructions specify that the entire wiring harness should be replaced with a newer version if there was damage to the connector or contacts. If there wasn't, the recall kit has a replacement cap that plugs into the connector and bypasses the ground in the wiring harness in favor of a direct path to the frame. The part in the recall kit was designed for the recall and isn't actually a part of the bike. (That's how I interpret it, anyway.)

You might check with your government and see if it maintains a list of vehicle recalls or if the laws there specify that recalls conducted elsewhere (e.g., the US or EU) must be carried out on vehicles sold in Singapore.

Bob: If you don't mind, I incorporated your photo of the recall kit into the recall page on STWiki.

--Mark

JZH

International Bodger

I don't know if you'd actually be able to complete the order (or if Honda would ship it), but the part number comes up good at CMS in the Netherlands, and (a lot cheaper) at Service Honda in the 'States.

Ciao,

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Regardless of how this problem is fixed, I think I would add the additional ground cable to the frame. I've done that for my farkle wiring as well.

Thanks for all the inputs..:)
But I've tried emailing all the available Honda STealers in US sites and UK sites, and they refused to help me.

Just wanna check what is the main usage for the new improved ground cap thru the recall? Is the new ground cap designed to group all the grounding to a terminal at the cap and redistribute to the bike frame?

If possible, can i try DIY on the ground cap where I cut off the old ground cap and join all the grounds together to a thicker wire and link it to the bike frame? Will this work and solve my issue??

Rgds,
Jeff

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Thanks for all the inputs..:)
But I've tried emailing all the available Honda STealers in US sites and UK sites, and they refused to help me.

Just wanna check what is the main usage for the new improved ground cap thru the recall? Is the new ground cap designed to group all the grounding to a terminal at the cap and redistribute to the bike frame?

If possible, can i try DIY on the ground cap where I cut off the old ground cap and join all the grounds together to a thicker wire and link it to the bike frame? Will this work and solve my issue??

Rgds,
Jeff
Jeff, that's what I would do. Unless there is a balanced ground isolation function (not likely), all grounds are the same and the _engine_ is the primary ground point. Engine to frame should have no resistance but a ground point on the block would be my choice.

Mr George i would like to consult you, if i cut away the pink ground cap and join all the wire to a thicker ground wire and tap it to various engine block will it work, caus my friend has a votage stablelizer ground to the main flame. Also could kindly explain that bunch of green wire attach to the pink cap is for what purpose is it solely ground wire only or ground cum live wire. Just wanna make sure before i help him with the wirering. Thank you sir in advance.:03biker:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Huckson, without a wiring diagram for the 1300 I can't tell all that is in there. Who else is familiar with this connector? Bob?

From the original fuzzy picture, and Bob's pic of the repair kit, it looks like all ground wires are collected there then a single cable from the cap to a solid ground. IF that is true, then collecting all those wires and terminating to a single 8 or 10 gauge wire would serve the same purpose and be a lot less problematic than the cap.

Someone give me more data.

Thanks,

Oh Thank you Mr George for your fast respond I do agreed to what you ve just say (it looks like all ground wires are collected there then a single cable from the cap to a solid ground) I just wanna make sure.:)

Bike
st1300
STOC #

Mr George i would like to consult you, if i cut away the pink ground cap and join all the wire to a thicker ground wire and tap it to various engine block will it work, caus my friend has a votage stablelizer ground to the main flame. Also could kindly explain that bunch of green wire attach to the pink cap is for what purpose is it solely ground wire only or ground cum live wire. Just wanna make sure before i help him with the wirering. Thank you sir in advance.:03biker:

Can't speak for others, but that is exactly what I would do if faced with the same situation. Did not mention it for fear of flame...:D As far as I can tell this is just a ground bundle that needs to connect to the frame ground lug that is just below the rear end of the upper fuel tank. Now to find a connector to join that many wires with a positive connection. I believe the lead that went from the bundle in the pink connector to the ground lug was a 10ga wire.

Good luck sir!

Thanks Mr AzDesertRider for your advice, will do it when he is free (Cut away that bunch of green wire from the pink connector and join it to a ticker ground wire and tap to various point of the engine block:03biker:

Attachments

Bike
st1300
STOC #

Thanks Mr AzDesertRider for your advice, will do it when he is free (Cut away that bunch of green wire from the pink connector and join it to a ticker ground wire and tap to various point of the engine block:03biker:

There is a main frame ground bolt under the back side of the upper fuel tank.

Top Bottom