ST1300 - Roller Bearing to Taper Bearing Upgrade for Steering Head - Warning

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The fact that an improperly selected tapered roller bearing used with the OEM seal doesn't work does not imply a general problem with the use of a tapered roller bearing in a steering head.
One might also run into trouble aligning the steering-limiters as well as the lock due the different height...
So careful measuring and checking is advised when going to install non-OEM bearings...

BTW: can't see an issue with loose ball bearings, just stick them into the races with marine grease and don't tremble while inserting the steering stem... :biggrin:

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The install is quite simple using the STOC loaner tool kit and the Honda Common Service Manual. The kit’s been used many, many times. Its special drivers seat the races well enough that a follow up preload check is not really necessary.
the key is freezing the races overnight; pre-heating the headstock, and applying some Goodson PFL-200 press fit lubricant. Instead of applying seating force with the bearings, a couple of correctly fitted bearing driving collars with a lubricated fine threaded rod and two nuts will pull them down until they seat squarely.
I agree with the technique and tools. The custom races press in the STOC steering stem loaner kit (link) work extremely well on the ST1100 and ST1300, tapered or balls. Thanks to Martin Belef, STOC 4148, for making and donating them!

88438090-E889-4F10-900A-ABBCE24F4E51.jpeg

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was pointing out that they are not ball bearings....
What do you call these?

I was wrong ......... those are tapered rollers. All the more embarrassing because I replaced them in my Goldwing in November 2019 using OEM. What I did just before my post last night (#43) was to look up the part numbers for the Valkyrie and the Goldwing to make sure both used the same bearing set and the drawing on the Honda fiche clearly illustrates caged ball bearings, not tapered.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I installed tapered bearings in both my ST1100 and my ST1300. I used John's tool kit both times with no issue. This is not a job for someone with limited mechanical abilities, but it isn't rocket science either. You have to have the right tools and measuring instruments to make sure you are doing the job correctly. On the 1100 I noticed a definite improvement, on the 1300 I really couldn't tell the difference. I used CBR bearing kits on both bikes.

Bike
1991 ST1100
Does anyone have a part number for the tapered roller bearings.

Ive got a low speed wobble and noticeable when i accelerate and decelerate quickly. Also, if I put the bike on the center stand and jack the front tire off the ground, the bike has a center position about the steering stem. almost like a detent center rotation point. Is this normal?

Top Bottom