Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I'm aware that I need to go to a brake light switch circuit. What I'm trying to figure out is if anyone knows which wires I could use, like at the right side wiring harness connector or something similar.

I was hoping that maybe there was a brake light relay on the ST, but I don't see one. Am I just missing it?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I'm having a small wiring issue, and I can't seem to find anyone else who has asked this question.

I have everything wired up with my Rostra except for the red 12+ "hot side" brake wire and the purple "cold side" wire. On the last bike I had this CC installed (an old Gold Wing), there was a brake relay that I connected the leads to so that either front or rear brake application would shut off the cruise.

Unless I'm missing something, the ST1300 doesn't appear to have a brake relay... or does it? I've stared at my wiring schematic until I'm cross-eyed.

I can't figure out what wires I can tap in to. I'm using the stock brake levers etc. (not a Gold Wing switch cluster), and it seems like this thread is focused mostly on the GW hardware.

Can anyone tell me where I can tap the Rostra's brake leads into?

Attachments

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
You can access the brake-light wire anywhere it's available: either brake switch, handlebar connectors in front, the brake light itself.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
You would have to supply the relay. It is used in the event that you are using LEDs in anyway for brake lights, either in a top box situation or you replaced your incandescent brake light bulb with an LED. Or added an extra LED brake light.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
You would have to supply the relay. It is used in the event that you are using LEDs in anyway for brake lights, either in a top box situation or you replaced your incandescent brake light bulb with an LED. Or added an extra LED brake light.
Everything is installed and working very nicely. No relay needed (no LEDs).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Actually, as long as there is one (or more) incandescent bulb(s), no relay is needed. The CC looks for the brake-light conductor to be dragged to ground through the unlit bulb filament, which LEDs are not capable of doing.

Anyone have an install, Rostra, with a speedohealer...did you did you get vss signal before or after speedohlr...or does it matter.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Wouldn't think it matters. It's just reading pulses and wants to maintain the same count once activated.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I had a speedo healer on my 2004 with the Rostra. It made no difference. If I remember correctly, it has been 15 years, the Rostra gets the impulse off the ignition coil. That has nothing to do with where the speedo healer gets its readings.

Thanks for the replies, i found my wire in the harness, now waiting for a signal divider.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had a speedo healer on my 2004 with the Rostra. It made no difference. If I remember correctly, it has been 15 years, the Rostra gets the impulse off the ignition coil. That has nothing to do with where the speedo healer gets its readings.
Rostra gets the cruise control hold setting from the VSS. It watches the pulse from the ignition coil to make sure you don't pull in the clutch or kick it in neutral. If you don't have VSS feed you use magnets on the wheel or a driveshaft.

If a cruise control pulled and used the ignition coil signal for holding speed, the transmission shifted gears, things would be crazy.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Rostra gets the cruise control hold setting from the VSS. It watches the pulse from the ignition coil to make sure you don't pull in the clutch or kick it in neutral. If you don't have VSS feed you use magnets on the wheel or a driveshaft.

If a cruise control pulled and used the ignition coil signal for holding speed, the transmission shifted gears, things would be crazy.
Thanks for the correction. Like I said, it has been 15 years from when I put mine in. I knew I had a pigtail hooked up to one of the coils, and one of the Rostra wires was hooked up to it.

Thanks for all the replies and info in this thread. I finally got mine in and adjusted. I used the ignition signal filter from the audiovox that I replaced. Centrodyne Z063 signal divider. Lowest gain setting. As described the speedohealer still provides a square wave and is a non-issue.
I think the audiovox vacuum system had been leaking for some time. Test flight tomorrow.

Top Bottom