Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

I got the the led indicator to light. My + brake light wire needed to be hooked up to constant power. I hooked it up to the battery to test it and it worked. Now I need to figure out where + power from brake switch would be. There is none at the front brake.

Brake light fuse, on the feed out not the feed in

Technically its all the same power source so you could leave it on the battery but I am thinking they have it on the output to the brake circuit to monitor bake lights are working thus signal to the cruise

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Okay...so nobody has an issue with this.

After thinking about this all day at work I think I came up with a fix for my issue. Fabricating a new bracket to move the cable farther away and adding chain to the cable end. This will add more flexibility to the cable by letting the chain drop before the cable moves. At least it seems like it will work to me.
I did something a little different with my cable ... see post #31 at THIS thread.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Okay, so I took it out for a shakedown. Everything worked fine and I didn't get killed. One question though...having never ridden a bike with a cruise it seemed jerky keeping the speed. I used the same settings from the instructions, but I'm wondering if I should try something different. I think it would get annoying on the highway over time.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Are you using vacuum tank of some sort? I only rode a bike once with a cruise. I did an install for a member here and it felt smooth as it rolled on/off the throttle for hills when I did a test ride.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It's all electric. Thee only variable on my install is they changed the pulse divider. Theres no longer anything to clip. I have the gain set to low/med and set to divide by 2. I tried it on the lower gain setting and it was worse.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Ahh. I haven't worked with one of them.

I have you tried a divide by 3? I think I read where some people were playing with that setting. I don't recall what they were after. It was a long time ago that I read about it.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
HERE is an article on a Rostra CC install. I used the vacuum operated Audiovox unit, so I'm no help in that I've got no jands-on experience with the Rostra.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I used those instructions for the install but the pulse divider is different now.
Thanks anyway.

Bike
Honda ST1300
I have the exact same issue as you do, lacks a little smoothness. That said, once the snow melts up here I may play around with the dip switches on the pulse divider to see if I can get it to smooth out. There is some discussion on this earlier on in this thread.

C8 is right there in the middle of the board between the 2 IC's in your picture not sure if it does the same function as I don't have an old unit to compare so I have emailed the manufacturer I will post any reply

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Okay, so it does. I was looking for a blue capacitor. But does the clipping the C8 change the gain? Now there's settings with a jumper for that. What exactly does clipping the C8 do? I would rather not blow $50 by clipping it and having it not work.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I called Centrodyne direct in Canada. The guy is going to do some research and get back to me. He asked if I could get the older style in the U.S and I said no.

Bike
2010 st1300
I've started gathering parts to do the cruise control upgrade and thanks to this thread hopefully I'll be able to manage it. I have a couple of questions before I start that I'm hoping someone can answer.
1) I have some led add on brake lights, how likely am I to have to add a relay to make it work correctly
2) I receive my pulse divider and they have now gone to what I am guessing is more of printed circuit type with the C8 cannot be cut off. Am planning on leaving it alone.
3) And yes it is cheaper on the Centrodyne site but shipping is more than the unit so taxicable is still cheaper.

Thanks for any inputs

Top Bottom