Article [13] ST1300 - Rostra Cruise Control Installation

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I just installed a Rostra unit with the help of Sennister and TD1911.
Alright Dan... Pappys on me if you stop by my place and put mine in with your new-gained experience. I already have the main unit, the divide by 4 and the switch... just need a suck, er... buddy to rip the tupperware off (no big deal) and go under the gas tank.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I just installed a Rostra unit with the help of Sennister and TD1911. I am using a factory Rostra pulse divider /4. I set the Gain to Extra Low and the Pulses to 16090 and everything is smooth as silk for now. I'll post more after Moonshine and my SS1000.
So how did you guys determine those settings? Is it smooth at 50mph?

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Not at 50, but at 60 it is great. I don't use cruise at slow speeds. I wanted smooth at 80.
Mine is smooth at 80 and 60+ so I guess I won't be removing anything right now. There are times around here where there's long sections of 50-55 double lane.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
also need to come up with a mounting location for it.
the location options are endless. On my 05 I fabricated a bracket and utilized my left grip housing screws to mount the switch. It was a very clean application

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
I replaced mine for essentially the same reasons. This installation is a little harder but with the prior connections and the mechanical stuff already installed it wasn't too bad.
I really don't use mine much below 60 but when I do it functions ok. This is with the original settings. I'm glad I did the installation....

Bike
2005 ST1300
When you set the Centrodyne to divide by 4, did you also set the CC unit to 19,800? I also have an issue with surging, but only going down hill slower than 65mph. It doesn't take much throttle to maintain speed going down hill and it seems like the CC unit aplies enough throttle so that you exceed the set speed and then closes the throttle completely, the bike slows below the set speed, and the CC unit applies throttle, the bike slowly accelerates past the set speed and the CC unit completely closes throttle again, over and over until I hit level ground.
I just finished my install with a rostra divide by 4. I have had the bike out for one test ride only and it seems to have the same throttle problem. I have the CC set to 19800. I am wondering if one of my crimps is not good. Anyone have an idea if say the connection to the signal divider or the ignition coil are not good what the effect would be?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
Well I will start off with I hope you pulse divider is not attached to the coil? Also on the cable to throttle drum make sure you did not use the 3-5 bead slack . I know the install instructions say to but if you are installing the electronic servo , not the pneumatic then you do not want to install the beads TRUST ME! the rostra techs used to tell you that when you called for advice but now they will first ask what vehicle you are installing the cc on and then they will tell you they don't make a unit for a motorcycle. I have installed cruise on 4 of my motorcycles pneumatic and electronic I prefer the electronic servo. good luck!!!

Ok guys..I am in need so some good help here...I think I have a forest in front of me but I just can't seem to see the tree..I have just installed a Rostra electronic servo cruise control on my ST1300 and it doesn't work!!!

Completed installation..set dip switches...did complete diagnostic test and all passed..All PASSED!..Instead of buying a divide by two converter I made my own (am an electrical engineer so I would rather spend $300 to build my own than $30 for a store bought one!)
I hooked it up to a dual trace Oscope and input from bike's hall effect sensor is a pretty 5v peak to peak square wave..the output of my converter is a pretty 5v peak to peak square wave at exactly 1/2 the frequency. IT even "sees" the speed signal (flashing led) when I do the speed sensor diagnostic. I checked my ground to the low side of the brake light (violet wire I think) and it is less than one ohm to battery negative. Every thing seems to be in order but when I put it up on the center stand and run the bike up to 60 mph in gear the system will not engage. I am NOT using the "set" control at all..I am using only two buttons..the "resume" (am using this as a set since that is what the crappy manual says) and I am using a latched 12 vdc source to the red wire with brown tracer so that when that button is pressed it latches in and holds 12 volts on the red wire with brown tracer. The damned thing should work..why not? Is the fact that I am not using the "set" button at all (green wire) causing the unit to not set? Does the Rostra unit need a higher voltage peak to peak square wave speed signal? Throw me a bone here!

kingrj

So did I until I called tech help and they told me that the "ON" switch has to be a latching type even though it is not shown as such in the manual...the little control switch "truth table" does indicate that the red wire with brown tracer has to have 12vdc when the unit is operating..

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I've never had success trying to get my Audiovox CC to work while on the centerstand, but works fine on the road. I believe a sudden change of RPM ... such as the instant you "set" and let off the throttle ... may disengage the CC. Have you tried it on the road yet?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I've never had success trying to get my Audiovox CC to work while on the centerstand, but works fine on the road. I believe a sudden change of RPM ... such as the instant you "set" and let off the throttle ... may disengage the CC. Have you tried it on the road yet?
We were talking about this in another thread that he started. I mentioned this issue and that he mentioned in the other thread of doing a /2 signal divider. I think he needs a /3 or /4. This would be another issue.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have just completed the installation of this unit on my bike. I had an Audiovox and when it broke instead of replacing it, I decided on this unit. I used a Rostra 250-3592 control instead of the goldwing part.

This control is momentary, so switch number 12 has to be set to "open"

This is the diagram I drew for installation:

Scan1.jpg

I have run and passed the diagnostics test except for one problem- I'm getting a signal from the vss that is causing the LED to blink. It turns out that you shouldn't leave your battery on a battery tender while testing the bike. When I disconnected it, the pulse went away. I'm assuming that the battery charger pulses in maintain mode.

I'm out of town for several days, but I hope to find out if this works soon.

Edit: Works great. Nails the speed and holds it rock solid.

Last edited:
Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Ok guys..I am in need so some good help here...I think I have a forest in front of me but I just can't seem to see the tree..I have just installed a Rostra electronic servo cruise control on my ST1300 and it doesn't work!!!

Completed installation..set dip switches...did complete diagnostic test and all passed..All PASSED!..Instead of buying a divide by two converter I made my own (am an electrical engineer so I would rather spend $300 to build my own than $30 for a store bought one!)
I hooked it up to a dual trace Oscope and input from bike's hall effect sensor is a pretty 5v peak to peak square wave..the output of my converter is a pretty 5v peak to peak square wave at exactly 1/2 the frequency. IT even "sees" the speed signal (flashing led) when I do the speed sensor diagnostic. I checked my ground to the low side of the brake light (violet wire I think) and it is less than one ohm to battery negative. Every thing seems to be in order but when I put it up on the center stand and run the bike up to 60 mph in gear the system will not engage. I am NOT using the "set" control at all..I am using only two buttons..the "resume" (am using this as a set since that is what the crappy manual says) and I am using a latched 12 vdc source to the red wire with brown tracer so that when that button is pressed it latches in and holds 12 volts on the red wire with brown tracer. The damned thing should work..why not? Is the fact that I am not using the "set" button at all (green wire) causing the unit to not set? Does the Rostra unit need a higher voltage peak to peak square wave speed signal? Throw me a bone here!

AND

So did I until I called tech help and they told me that the "ON" switch has to be a latching type even though it is not shown as such in the manual...the little control switch "truth table" does indicate that the red wire with brown tracer has to have 12vdc when the unit is operating..

kingrj
Did fixing this input control line fix your problem? Also, I think most find a 4:1 pulse divider puts the pulse rate over typical set speeds (40-90 mph or so?) in a better range.

I am putting this set-up in my ST within the next month or two. Trying to collect as much info as possible to hopefully have a smooth install that works as it should.

PLEASE - be extra careful running the bike in gear on the center stand. You are probably doing this already, but the front tire should be against a solid wall. Bear in mind if it drops off the center stand while running above idle in gear, it will almost certainly bend the forks. You should have a very solid shield of some sort a few feet behind the rear tire, and no loose items on the floor or bike seat that the rear tire could grab and throw. Please be safe.

Re: ST1300 Rostra Cruise Control Installation

I am in the process of instaling my cruise and was wondering what the length it on your futaba arm is

i am in the process of instaling the same set up but did not know i needed a relay in between the orange wire and the controler

some help would be great on this popjack

Top Bottom