ST1300 splines at 300,000 miles TS70 moly!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I changed out these two bearings last week. One was rough,, and the other was smooth. I chose to go with sealed both sides and lubed replacements. The wheel was turning fine before I went in to replace the cushion drive pucks. All is running smooth a week later,, with a subtle but noticeable improvement.
cheers,, CAt'
That's what I did as well when I replaced mine at 96,000 miles. 69052RS sealed bearings.

What I didn't say before was that I had two rear wheels for my ST and always pulled the driven flange out and swapped it into the incoming wheel so the two wear surfaces, driving splines and driven splines, remained as a 'wear pair'. So every time I changed tires I had no excuse not to check the flange bearings. When one went bad it went bad quick between 89,000 and 96,000 miles but when checked from the outside that tire change it didn't feel gritty or chunky. Only when I looked into the inner hub did I see bits of disintegrating bearing, the inner of the two.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
twice in the last couple of months I've ridden 700 - 800 miles to move a tag and the next day or so you run out and move it again
I wish more people would get involved with the tag games. I currently have 9 different tags, and there's no action on them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wish more people would get involved with the tag games. I currently have 9 different tags, and there's no action on them.
Tell me about it. I guess Covid and summer heat are keeping people indoors right now but the reality is some of the tags I participate in have been lagging for several years. Maybe invoke Rule 8 though what a reason to do so. It will just go static somewhere else.

jbird24

Thanks for sharing....splines look great!
However, it looks like the seal on your flange bearings are about to give up the ghost :rolleyes:
When should wheel bearings be replaced (miles) and what are the symptom of a bad wheel bearing (thanks larry)

Top Bottom