ST1300 to buy

Bike
Triumph St1050
Hi All,

thanks for allowing me into the ST owners Forum. Currently riding a Triumph ST1050, looking to buy a ST1300 for two up in the coming months. Have found one in NZ 2009 with 33,900km on the clock. this bike has been for sale for at least 2 months now. the only downfall with this is that it has a small dent in the petrol tank from something dropping on it from an earthquake. should I be concerned about the dent. need to have a ride and put the misses on there as well before handing over the money.
Thanks in advance for the comments.

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome to the forum! :canflag1:

Dent should be fine. There's not much in the upper tank to worry about.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Certainly would not worry about the dent, it won't affect the bike mechanically.

When I looked up the bike VIN details and checked the photo, I don't think it is actually a 2009 model year bike, more like 2006, though it was first registered in NZ in 2009. That is nit-picking to be sure, but there were some ECU updates and other changes made in 2008.

I've owned an 09 and my current 04 and can't say that I noticed any difference however.

OP
OP
Ozman in NZ
Bike
Triumph St1050
Certainly would not worry about the dent, it won't affect the bike mechanically.

When I looked up the bike VIN details and checked the photo, I don't think it is actually a 2009 model year bike, more like 2006, though it was first registered in NZ in 2009. That is nit-picking to be sure, but there were some ECU updates and other changes made in 2008.

I've owned an 09 and my current 04 and can't say that I noticed any difference however.
Thats interesting to know.
Thanks Terry.
Welcome to the forum! :canflag1:

Dent should be fine. There's not much in the upper tank to worry about.
Thanks. what part of Canada are you in?

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have an 09 and I previously had an 06. The engine management appears to be different on the 09, much more low rev power noticeable on tight steep hairpin bends. - the 06 required much clutch slipping. Also the 06 pinked - designed to run lean - slightly on hot days and when accelerating. The front brake calipers and SMC have been redesigned and improved. The ABS pulsar ring is different. The A6 was an excellent bike, but if I was looking again I would get the A8 or later. in the uk they made the A8, A9 and AE. AE being the last one model in 2014.I have not found out what the difference is between them, except colours.

Bike
VStrom 650
As John pointed out, buying post 08 bikes (which that isn't) does seem to be the way to go, but you'll have to find one of course. Pre 08 will be just fine too but if the upgrades make it a slightly better bike, then why not.
Will the dent bother you? If so walk away. Getting it repaired will probably be expensive unless you can access it through the filler and the paint isn't damaged.
Obviously it's a good time to buy down under. You could put a wanted on here but I think NZ members are pretty thin on the ground.
Welcome from Northumberland, England.
Upt.
:ukflag1:

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
A tank 'bra' would hide the dent. Search baglux tank cover st1300.

Is the dent anywhere near the filler cap? That might be an issue for the sealing of the cap and the integrity of the rainwater drain pipe that passes through the tank from the 9 oclock position

OP
OP
Ozman in NZ
Bike
Triumph St1050
A tank 'bra' would hide the dent. Search baglux tank cover st1300.

Is the dent anywhere near the filler cap? That might be an issue for the sealing of the cap and the integrity of the rainwater drain pipe that passes through the tank from the 9 oclock position
looks like the dent in the tank is on the right hand side as you sit on the bike just above the tank pad on the side.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a dent then. Character.
I heard a story years ago about a well known Japanese motorcycle company just starting out, importing british bikes in order to make 'faithful reproductions'. Allegedly. In transit one bike was knocked, and the repro is reported to have included the same dent in the same place. I have no idea if this story is true, but I quite like it.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
A dent, is a dent. Big or small?? Presumably it bother you, or you wouldn't be asking; then again it doesn't bother you too much, or you wouldn't be asking. It's unlikely to have any impact of ride-ability, safety or performance. It can be covered or repaired, shouldn't be an issue.

I've just been ST1300 shopping in AUS to replace a write-off. Whole different story and hopefully more to come on that on another thread.

The AUS ST1300 market is pretty good at the moment, quite a few around at the moment, price range from AU$5,000 to AU$14,000, years from 2004 to 2014, with anywhere b/t 9,000km and 150,000km, ie. there were plenty to choose from. For AU$9,000 I picked-up a 2011 model with 54,000 (it replaces a 2011 / 74,000km ST1300); I'm happy. A quick search for ST1330 for sale in NZ didn't look promising. Have you thought about looking on in the AUS market?

Plenty of good info on here. Also plenty of good info on OzSTOC http://ozstoc.com/index.php - there's few from NZ on OzSTOC and plenty of support too.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300

Plenty of good info on here. Also plenty of good info on OzSTOC http://ozstoc.com/index.php - there's few from NZ on OzSTOC and plenty of support too.
For our USA, and some extent our CA friends, there are some damn good prices for you wwhen visiting and motorcycle touring in AUS, cheaper than 3 or 4 weeks rental. Just saying.

Oh yeah, and we have real beer in AUS, and even better in NZ.

Top Bottom