ST1300 Top Box / Top Case Disassembly

Been looking around the forum but have not be able to find anything on this. I found a OEM top box / top case but need to get it painted to match my bike. Hoping someone can let me know how to take the ST1300 top box / top case apart so I can actually paint it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
It might be easier to just tape off the bottom parts (and any other bits you want to leave black) and paint the top section.

Here's the install how to for the whole case. https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/st1300-oem-top-case-installation.173529/post-2245031

As far as I know there's no disassembly instructions for removing the lid off the bottom of the case.

If your case has a back pad or arm rests, they are usually mounted with 3M tape and possiblly a screw. If there are screws you'd see the heads from inside the case.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
You have an 05, 08 or 09 correct? Does the OEM have the back rest, arm rest, top spoiler with light?

Top should be color matched, bottom is black. Pan European logo above the latch and the round Honda emblem on the top are on with 3m tape. Removal may damage them.

1695685714933.jpeg

See the paint codes here if you need them.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Oddly, I'm in the middle of such a project.
IMG_5348.jpeg

Looked like two pins for the hinges, was not willing the chance of breaking them. The armrests are as @Obo describes, 3m tape and screws. A heat gun helps make light work of it. I had a rack on top that won't fit with the spoiler, I'm filling the holes. Im not going to try and remove the backrest, tape will slide under it.

Reactions: Obo
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I know im late to the party but the backrest is just 3m taped into place. I'm having mine painted as well. Just slowly apply even force starting at the edges and peel it off making sure not to tear the foam.
I discovered how much 3M VHB they used when I went to move the air deflector from the broken mirror to the new mirror.

Thankfully had a roll sitting in a closet, so it got brand new genuine 3M VHB to make my life a living hell when I have to put up with it again in the future...

Top Bottom