ST1300 Under mirror auxiliary light bracket

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I got a set of these to try out they seem pretty strong I will be installing LDRider LD5's which are a 4.75 inch light fairly heavy Charlie has guaranteed the bracket will work or 100% of my money back. He even gave me his phone number. I hope to have the lights installed very soon. The brackets came in a very nice package and were shipped really fast. These guys provide great service. I will post more once I get my lights installed.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
So is it confirmed that these currently will NOT work with the OEM fairing deflectors installed?

Skip

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
So is it confirmed that these currently will NOT work with the OEM fairing deflectors installed?

Skip
The lowers brackets work great with or without.
As for the uppers, Charlie is making me a set a inch taller for testing with mirror wind deflector's, I will post how well they work.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The initial pics of the brackets didn't look a like a larger light would fit. Nice to know the LEDRider's L5s or a similar sized (5"?) lamp would fit.

Dave.David said:
I will post how well they work.
I'm looking forward to that.

I wonder if in a pinch you couldn't just cut the foam at the inboard side to fit the bracket. Slice and remove a little chunk and retape it should the brackets be removed?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
The initial pics of the brackets didn't look a like a larger light would fit. Nice to know the LEDRider's L5s or a similar sized (5"?) lamp would fit.

I'm looking forward to that.

I wonder if in a pinch you couldn't just cut the foam at the inboard side to fit the bracket. Slice and remove a little chunk and retape it should the brackets be removed?
On the lower, between the bracket having a slots to move the light closer or farther away from the body and that the body curves away from the bracket going down means you can actually get a larger light than you would think under the mirror.

As for over the mirror, it's not the light bracket hitting the wind deflector but the length of the height of the bracket putting the light behind the wind deflector as you can see in the picture. I'm thinking that by raising the entire light one inch everything will look better. Of course if you don't have the deflector's then the brackets work and look great as they are now.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Between the bracket having a slots to move the light closer or farther away from the body and that the body curves away from the bracket going down means you can actually get a larger light than you would think under the mirror.

As for over the mirror, it's not the light bracket hitting the wind deflector but the length of the light being behind the wind deflector as you can see in the picture. I'm hoping that by raising the entire light one inch everything will look better.
I didn't think these were over the mirror brackets just under. I have the Police over mirror brackets if I want to go Over the mirror but I prefer to have the big lights under the mirror. Charlie told me the LD5's would fit under the mirror the issue now is will the deflector interfere with the brackets position. I will check mine tonight I just haven't had a chance to put them on yet.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Ok, here is the issue. Charlie's brackets will not work with the police brackets pictured below.
Charlie's over brackets I believe will work fine with the deflectors once they are raised an inch but not as they are now. Charlie's current over mirror brackets work great without wind deflectors but are not on the market yet.
Charlie's under brackets work great without the wind deflector and are a tight fit with the wind deflector. I have realize that under brackets with wind deflectors can be up against the wind deflector. You have to mount it just right. There is a mark on the body panel where the mirror cover meets the body. You just want to line up the under bracket just above that mark. Once installed it looks and works great.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You can make both bracket's work I did it with the PD over mirrors and the Under mirrors like MCLarry's but I had to do some grinding I have them on my 03 like this I will find some pictures for you later. Here are the pictures of the under mirrors with the LD5's installed

Attachments

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
David here is a picture showing both brackets installed I will try and find the ones i did of the actual install they were posted on the forum somewhere under farkles or lighting but it can be done not sure if it will work with the printed bracket though.

Attachments

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
You can make both bracket's work I did it with the PD over mirrors and the Under mirrors like MCLarry's but I had to do some grinding I have them on my 03 like this I will find some pictures for you later. Here are the pictures of the under mirrors with the LD5's installed
Nice, and with the wind deflector's. And only 60 minutes ago you said you had to wait till tonight to look at them, now you have them about on. Quick work bud.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Are you trying to use these as over mirror brackets? I get off work at 3:30 EST and it was a 5 minute job installing them. The wind deflectors do not interfere on the bottom to use these over the mirrors they would need to be a lot longer

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Are you trying to use these as over mirror brackets? I get off work at 3:30 EST and it was a 5 minute job installing them. The wind deflectors do not interfere on the bottom to use these over the mirrors they would need to be a lot longer
On one post you show a pic of the police over with a under bracket that is not Charlie's. In another post you show Charlie's under mirror brackets without any over mirror brackets. I said that one type of police over mirror brackets (pictured) won't work with Charlie's under, at least not without some grinding. You did say you did some grinding but not where. So, what are you installing?

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Please see post #26 about Charlie's over mirror brackets.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I didn't mean to confuse you on my 03 I have over and under mirror brackets I have both for the 04 but will probably just use Charlie's under mirrors for now. On the 03 I had to grind down or actually remove the piece that the bolt goes through the space and then grind the under mirror a bit and they work perfectly. With Charlie's if there wasn't the deep well for the bottom bolt you could then use both. When I can find the pictures of the install on my 03 I can show you.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I didn't mean to confuse you on my 03 I have over and under mirror brackets I have both for the 04 but will probably just use Charlie's under mirrors for now. On the 03 I had to grind down or actually remove the piece that the bolt goes through the space and then grind the under mirror a bit and they work perfectly. With Charlie's if there wasn't the deep well for the bottom bolt you could then use both. When I can find the pictures of the install on my 03 I can show you.
I would like to be able to use both. My thought is this, if we grind off the bottom spacer that the bolt goes through on the police bracket then when we try to add Charlie's undermount we have brought this undermount out maybe 5 mm(?). If we trim the 5mm off Charlie's undermount how much stock have we left for the bolt to hold the undermount on the bike? Mind you that if we were to shave that down we would likely void the warranty.
I actually am going to text Charlie and ask him if his computer guy knows that number.
Am I making sense?

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Well the part that the bolt goes into on Charlie's doesn't seem to be structural I am not an engineer but if the over mirror bracket went over the bottom bracket it would hold fine I don't think that the under mirror bracket gains any strength from the excess material.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Well the part that the bolt goes into on Charlie's doesn't seem to be structural I am not an engineer but if the over mirror bracket went over the bottom bracket it would hold fine I don't think that the under mirror bracket gains any strength from the excess material.
Agree with you on the excess.
Charlie's over mirror brackets do not use the bottom bolt. If you mean the P over mirror brackets, then..... okay.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Looks good. Appears the only interference is the bracket exiting the mirror housing where the rubber boot is.

Top Bottom