ST1300 vs Goldwing

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I bought a 2018 Gold Wing Tour. In my opinion, this is the best compromise between a ST-1300 and a Goldwing. It handles almost as light as the ST and has the Goldwing boxer 6 cylinder so the CG is low.
I owned a ST1100 for several years followed by a ST1300 for 2 years. I have also ridden a variety of rental motorcycles over 35+ years as part of my tour business including the R1100, 1150, 1200 and 1250RT - all good bikes, but for me my 2018 6spd Goldwing is the best bike I've owned. As others have mentioned, it has a noticeably lower of center gravity, it's very well balanced, virtually no heat (my ST1300 threw a lot of heat), enough tech to be useful without being excessive, better passenger accommodations, reverse helps on my uphill driveway and the Goldwing just has a more refined feel.

I'm 5'10" and I find the wind management to be superior to the ST1300, especially after adding small wind wings under each mirror. If it's hot I can get a lot of air on me and if it's cooler I can close the dash vent, raise the windshield, tilt the mirror wings and I'm covered - also works well for passenger comfort at speed. I use the bike to run errands, enjoyed a track day on it, and often run it in "Sport" mode when out of traffic on the open road. Sport mode firms up the damping a little bit and gives me all the acceleration I need.

I originally purchased the GW to keep my wife riding with me a little longer as we get older. However, it has exceeded my expectations by a fair bit, and I truly enjoy riding it.

Bike
'09 ST1300A
I may go for a 2nd lighter bike like the Tracer or F900XR just to have a lighter option for shorter or summer riding.
I like where this is going. How about a Kawasaki Z900RS? 215 kg (475 lbs), an inline 4 with 110 hp and it doesn't look like a transformer toy or an insect.

I have a 2021 Z900RS in Candytone Green. I use a small tank bag and I've added a National Cycle Deflector Screen and Shad 3P system with SH36 Side Cases to make a Z900RST. Both the Deflector screen and the side cases are easily removable depending on weather and the need for carrying capacity.

My ST1300 is the ideal choice for more than a week on the road in all (except snow) weather conditions. The Z900RST is ideal for up to a week when the long range forecast is favorable. I have ridden the Z900RST in the rain for a day at a time and KLIM gear with an Aerostitch electric vest makes it doable if not enjoyable.

Just another data point!
Z900RS2.jpg

Last edited:

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
$16K for the 2019 GW with 8K miles on it seems like a steal- well done! The Kawi above looks very well done with the side cases as well. What’s the liter size of the cases if you know? Thank you.

Bike
KTM 890 ADV NC750X
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's a nice looking 'Wing. I wish Yamaha had cleaned up the FJR like Honda cleaned up the 'Wing. Now the new 'Wing looks trimmer than an FJR.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well- yesterday I bought a 2019 GL1800 DCT (non tour) with @ 8000 miles on it for $16,000.
Exactly what caliber of firearm were you holding when you made the deal that he couldn't refuse?

This new Goldwing is a bit heavier but it feels so light
I put one on the center stand at a bike show and it was noticeable easier than my ST. I wish I had the room for one.

I would have kept my Nighthawk as well.
The 700 Nighthawks get a lot of love here but my favorite was the 650. I had a chance to get a beautiful specimen for the price of title transfer. Since I had two bikes at the time I reluctantly passed. I put a few miles on it and it was a great around town bike and great on a day ride. I wish I hadn't passed on it.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Exactly what caliber of firearm were you holding when you made the deal that he couldn't refus nicest people on a Honda !
He originally wanted $18,500 on cycle trader then I noticed he dropped price to $16,500 so I offered him $15,500 and he met me in the middle.
to answer your question it was a #100 bill cal. He was even nice enough to trailer half way and meet me, you meet the nicest people on a Honda

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
Rode 2019 GL1800 DCT @ 200 miles yesterday and I am blown away, first of all I now have Cardo pactalk on my Shoei full face and was told all I needed to was link Bluetooth from Cardo to bike’s audio, took about 5 seconds and done. Then I connected iPhone to bikes infotainment cable located in gas tank compartment, so simple even a helicopter pilot could do it. (I’m a recent retired helicopter mechanic) All functions controlled from left handlebar flawlessly with very good volume !
Now the ride, my ST would not track straight when letting go of handlebars no matter what I adjusted, the Goldwing tracked perfectly at all speeds with no hands, zero buffeting and excellent wind protection at all speeds. The abs brakes performed excellent and better than anything I’ve ridden, the horn is LOUD !
Seat is comfortable and for first time I may not have to modify seat, suspension is outstanding and also not demanding an upgrade. Gas mileage was 51 mpg while riding @ 60 F. The performance and handling of this bike is phenomenal, I only rode in Tour mode and looking forward to experimenting with Sport mode. I have no problem with saddlebag size, seems adequate for me (I’ve never owned a previous GW model)
Summary: the new Goldwing non tour is definitely Hondas replacement for the ST1300 with serious improvements, better in every aspect in my opinion.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
He originally wanted $18,500 on cycle trader then I noticed he dropped price to $16,500 so I offered him $15,500 and he met me in the middle.
to answer your question it was a #100 bill cal. He was even nice enough to trailer half way and meet me, you meet the nicest people on a Honda
100 cal. got me beat by about 62. See you soon sometime.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No matter the brand or model of a ride, when someone finds a bike they absolutely love it's fun to read about it. Congratulations jjb!

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a 2007 ST1300A (about 110,000 miles) and a 2015 Goldwing (about 90,000 miles). I purchased the Goldwing new to support more two up riding with the spouse. She was ok on the ST but, it was a bit tighte. Much more room for the two of us on the Goldwing and we purchased a Hannigan trailer in 2017 and use it with the Goldwing on our trips.

In my opinion, the two are different bikes and the name "Sport Tourer" does fit the ST. I did have a 1999 BMW RTP which was a very fun bike but it did have some "issues" with reliability. The wife called it a Gazelle and she called the 2003 Valkyrie we also had a Clydesdale. I mention this because the ST as a sport tourer was ok but the BMW was a little better, weight issue I think but the ST was just as quick.

Today, still have the Valkyrie, the ST, and the Wing. Wife prefers the Valkyrie and the Wing. I like all three. The Goldwing is a heavier bike and it feels that way when I ride it. The ST is a more sporty bike, quicker and just seems more fun on the road (except for the occasional buffeting from trucks. The Wing is an excellent ride and yes, it can handle the twists and turns but takes a little more effort than the ST.

Me I prefer the ST for solo riding. And yes the Goldwing can handle the tight curves without issues as you can see below.

Tight Curves on AR 123

The ST handles these curves much better but, it is a sport tourer. I don't know much about the newer Goldwings I have heard they handle a little better with a more sporty feel.

In summary, when I go on solo road trips, I take the ST. Just have to watch the speed a little closer than with the Wing or the Valkyrie. Two up day trips, we take the Valkrie. Two up road trips, we take the Wing.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't know much about the newer Goldwings I have heard they handle a little better with a more sporty feel.
I had a ST1300, R1200RT, 2009 Goldwing and now the 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. In my opinion, the new Goldwing is much better than the ST in most regards and equal or better than the RT.
BTW - I ride solo, two up may be different.

Gandolkf

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Wing
STOC #
I have missed reverse on my post goldwing bikes. The RT is awesome for my current riding but I'll never completely remove a wing from my future bike purchasing decisions. I may go for a 2nd lighter bike like the Tracer or F900XR just to have a lighter option for shorter or summer riding.
1704156310360.jpeg

Top Bottom