ST1300 Won't idle below 1500 RPM after CC install

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I added an Audiovox CC-100 Cruise Control, and now I can't j\get the idle below 15 RPM and there is a missing or slight backfire as it's running. I have taken off the air box, disconnected the cruise and set the main idle set screw and cable adjustment so there is slack in the main throttle cable but no change. I have let the bike warm to 3 bars. Help!

RCS

Silly questions...

1. did you replace both of the hoses on the bottom of the airbox? pg 5-62 of Service Manual - PAIR solenoid valve hose and crankcase breather hose.
2. did you replace the plug on the top of the airbox? pg 5-63 of Service Manual - IAT sensor 2P connector.

OP
OP
dohboy
Bike
2005 BMW RT
Silly questions...

1. did you replace both of the hoses on the bottom of the airbox? pg 5-62 of Service Manual - PAIR solenoid valve hose and crankcase breather hose.
2. did you replace the plug on the top of the airbox? pg 5-63 of Service Manual - IAT sensor 2P connector.
Bob, I have the air box off now, so the hoses and the plug are not hooked up. The engine behaves and idles the same with air box on or off.

RCS

Bob, I have the air box off now, so the hoses and the plug are not hooked up. The engine behaves and idles the same with air box on or off.
I was looking at the simple stuff. The IAT - air temperature sensor, if not connected may cause the idle issue since it provides a data input to the Engine Control Unit (ECU). If this doesn't provide the solution, I don't know what to try next as I've never installed an Audiovox cruise control.

OP
OP
dohboy
Bike
2005 BMW RT
Vac hose leak?
That's a possiblity, but how do I check it? When I worked on cars I could hear the leak. The main vac line was cut at the map sensor. If I remove the tee and replace with a connector to put it back to stock and see if that corrects the problem, then I have a leak between the map sensor and the cc unit. I'll give it a try. Thanks

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
The engine will not idle properly with those hoses disconnected. When you re-installed the air box (after you installed the cruise control), are you sure that you plugged both hoses back in? If you left one of them off, it will have a rough idle as you describe.

Good luck,
Dale :)

OP
OP
dohboy
Bike
2005 BMW RT
The engine will not idle properly with those hoses disconnected. When you re-installed the air box (after you installed the cruise control), are you sure that you plugged both hoses back in? If you left one of them off, it will have a rough idle as you describe.

Good luck,
Dale :)
I got back into the airbox today. Both hoses and the conection on the top were all attached.

STOC #
To check for vacuum leaks, get a spray can of carburetor cleaner at the auto parts store. With the engine running, spray around the hoses. If there is a leak the cleaner will get sucked in and the idle will increase significantly. My money is on a vacuum leak.

Avtrician

Could the link rod that the CC cable connects to be stopping the throttle cam lobe from returning to idle, or may be a securing screw binding. ( not sure of the method you used to connect the CC to throttle.)

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
You know, I had a similar symptom when I installed a Starcom intercom system.
You might well say, "That's got NOTHING to do with the engine," and I would have agreed with you.
BUT- I took the power for the unit off a wire at the back of the bike near the tail lights that was only live when the ignition was on so I thought I just had a light wire. It was nicely accessible, being outside the main loom.
When I ran the engine it was very unwilling to idle, and when I rode off it was completely gutless. I was completely bushed as to what I could have done, and went looking for crushed vac lines etc where I'd run CB unit cables under the fuel tank.
As soon as I unpluged the power to the Starcom, the engine came to life.
I still don't know what the wire is (can anyone help?) but I found myself another power wire.
So you didn't happen to tap power off a wire attached to the rear LH side frame recently, did you?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I took the power for the unit off a wire at the back of the bike near the tail lights that was only live when the ignition was on so I thought I just had a light wire. It was nicely accessible, being outside the main loom.
When I ran the engine it was very unwilling to idle, and when I rode off it was completely gutless. I was completely bushed as to what I could have done, and went looking for crushed vac lines etc where I'd run CB unit cables under the fuel tank.
As soon as I unpluged the power to the Starcom, the engine came to life.
I still don't know what the wire is (can anyone help?) but I found myself another power wire.
If you connected to that unused plug under the right side of the passenger seat, that's the diagnostic connector for the engine management system. Oops, don't do that!

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Thankyou for that- I deduce you mean the LH side (conventionally, as referenced from the rider's seated position).
That certainly explains why there would be an engine-related wire in that part of the bike. :eek::

OP
OP
dohboy
Bike
2005 BMW RT
Thanks for all of the very logical and resonable solutions to my problem. During the CC install where the directions say to open the throttle wide open, I then jammed a pair of pliers into a throttle body to keep it open. I left them there while tighterning the nut for the CC linkage. In doing so I overtightened the nut and must have bent the shaft, putting that throttle valve way out of adjustment. I could not strighten it out so I am replacing the entire throttle body assembly. So the lessen is after one holds the throttle wide open to remove the nut, then release the throttle, Don't tighten the nut with anything in the throttle bodies. I feal like such a Bonehead.

Top Bottom