ST2 Brake Module install to LED light strip question.

Hi. I have a ST2 brake module that I am installing on my ST1300, but considering setting it up to a 4 inch red LED light strip, rather than the brake light. Just wondering if anyone has installed this brake module this way and if it worked for you. If you're successful with this install, could you post pics or an illustration of your set-up. Thanks folks.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have the module, but life has gotten in the way of its installation. However I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has installed this brake module this way
I don't have one but as STRider states there's no reason for it not to work. It's designed to work with the bikes factory brake lights so a small strip of LEDs should be no problem.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
After re-reading, I have a correction/retraction. I have their brake strober, not the brake module. The strober only flashes momentarily upon initial application of the brakes AND requires LED lights for that circuit. The brake module flashes automatically when it detects deceleration.

I still think it should work, but you'll install and document it and report here, right? :)

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Just wondering if anyone has installed this brake module this way
I have the ST2 brake light module. But it is just the normal installation,,, which works fine for me. I will eventually swap the tail bulbs out for LED's. But what you are suggesting should work fine too. Cheers,,, CAt'

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Nothing has changed in my assessment. The ST2 is designed to operate with the bike's factory lights which are incandescent and draw a lot more current that a strip of LEDs. The ST2 page didn't say anything about compatibility of LED v. incans and it looks like one bike they show in the ad copy has LED tail lights.

Without seeing the wiring schemo there might be a need to isolate the ST2 from the brake lights lest it activate the factory light along with the LED strip. It's also possible the ST2 would provide isolation. But since it was designed to work with factory brake lights that seems like a possible small hitch. If that were the case I'd bet a diode or two would get it all sorted.

If you post the wiring instructions or a pic of the schemo more specific help might be available.

OP
OP
Youk
I have two 4" Red LED strips that I have mounted to the back of my top case bracket (similar to the 3rd brake light in a car). The ST2 module has 3 wires (power, signal and ground). I have a switched replay installed with a secondary fuse box for my accessories on the ST, so these accessories operate only when the ignition is on. Works like a charm for my aux lights, stereo and USB charger. For the ST2 brake module, I was thinking about; 1) connecting the power for the ST2 module to the + post on my secondary fuse box, 2) connect the signal wire from the ST2 module to the + wire of the LED strip; and 3) connect the ground for the ST2 module and LED strip to the - post on my secondary fuse box. In theory it should work, I think. I hope. I'm doing it this way for 2 reasons, I think the LED strip with be more noticeable to cagers and I also hate splicing into my factory wiring harness.

Attachments

OP
OP
Youk
I sent an email to ST2 support group and received a rather funny email this morning... "Hello, Interesting idea, we did not test this yet so sorry no instructions. If you manage to connect it and it works please let me know". It's difficult to believe that this has never been a question asked to ST2 yet. Oh well, I guess I'll have some fun testing this weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
As far as I can tell, the only thing that it does is output an intermittent 12V+ signal. It doesn't know what is on the end of that 12V+ output wire and I am pretty sure that it doesn't care. As long as whatever is at the end of that wire does not consume more wattage than the unit is designed to handle it should not matter what it is connected to. The LED's will consume much less wattage than the incandescent bulbs that it was designed to power, so I can't see any reason for a problem.

OP
OP
Youk
That's what I'm thinking. If I connect the LED strip to the yellow signal wire of the module and the red/purple power supply wire from the module to a power supply to power the module then it should work. I'll be setting it up this weekend.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I sent an email to ST2 support group and received a rather funny email this morning...

If I connect the LED strip to the yellow signal wire of the module and the red/purple power supply wire from the module to a power supply to power the module then it should work. I'll be setting it up this weekend.
I've had a couple of conversations with their support and haven't been at all impressed. When I asked about instructions for getting the ST wired up (there were reports that the included instructions didn't work with the ST and there was a problem with 4-ways not working) they suggested I search the web for others that have figured it out.

The wiring per the schemo (thanks for that) is straightforward:

Purple to switched 12V instead of Position (or running or tail light)
Yellow to LED strip instead of brake light
Green to ground.

+1 about splicing into the factory harness. Sure it can be and has been done without compromising it but why do it if there are convenient alternatives. Another plus of a discrete install is should a device farkle to T/U it wouldn't compromise the factory lights. I don't know if the ST2 gang made it failsafe or not and that should be easy to do. Keeping it all separate makes tidier install and eliminates at least one worry.

I've been a proponent of having a separate brake light be it strobe or a basic CHMSL equivalent. This affords increased conspicuity without compromising factory lighting. And avoids debate over the best/worst way to cut into a harness.

Please– pics and mounting details if you're of a mind. Logo up or down? Steady or flashing on deceleration? It would be interesting to see how the rate of deceleration affects the ST2 i.e. does rolling off the throttle in 4th or 5th activate it? A 12V LED wired the same as your strips but located up front wear you could see it would let you see its performance. Assuming it doesn't distract you to a fiery death.

I'll watch this space. :D

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The only thing special about this flasher is the decelerometer so that it works without touching the brake.

Assuming it's not overly sensitive, it's only going to flash a second or so before you apply your brakes anyway (depending on your reaction time.)

I have a brake flasher on my bike, but it's only activated when my brake lights come on. It was only $6 vs $100. Neither is plug and play.

I wouldn't want this automatic feature, but that's just my opinion on what I would want on my bike. YMMV.

A flasher of any type is a great idea though and I do recommend them to help being seen.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The only thing special about this flasher is the decelerometer so that it works without touching the brake.
Well yes that's the whole point of the ST2. That's what differentiates it from a mere brake light or brake light flasher.

Obo said:
Assuming it's not overly sensitive, it's only going to flash a second or so before you apply your brakes anyway (depending on your reaction time.)
Define "overly sensitive." Flashing only a second or so be before the factory brake lights is next to useless. That would be my definition of "under sensitive". It should provide ample warning that the bike is slowing though the rider might not be going to apply the brakes at all.

Obo said:
I have a brake flasher on my bike, but it's only activated when my brake lights come on. It was only $6 vs $100 $60. Neither is plug and play.
FTFY. Many farkles aren't plug n play. What's you point? I've got a $40 EMS strobe on my ST that's wired to the factory brakes lights. I've got a $6 brake light flasher switch I was going to put on the ST but maybe it'll end up on my car.

This is not for you obviously. It is a matter of preference.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Youk
Update: the light worked. I just have to find a good place where I can mount the module at the correct angle for the correct sensitivity. As of right now there are to many wires under the seat so it's time for a clean-up.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I velcro'd mine to the top of the lower fuel tank. With a couple of loop side industrial grade velcro on each face of the ST2 unit,,, I can just flip the unit over to switch from constant to strobe mode. Strobe is normal for me,, having tried both. Going for a ride on a dark street allows one to test the activation, for a given load, ie: bags and/or passenger,, or none. Every time I have check it,,, like 3 or 4 times,,, it seems fine,, and I don't even think about it anymore. Cheers,,, CAt'

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Ordered a ST2 after seeing this thread. They offered a discount I didn't want to pass up.
My direction sheet does not mention inverting unit for steady or flashing.
They responded in timely manner to my query.
IMG_5904.png
I got the LEDs installed today after work.
IMG_5912.jpeg
I plan on wiring as the OP has done.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That's great info. One of my complaints about this company (or is it more than one now?) is that lack of information they provide on their site. Same with examples of performance. The various YT vids I've seen don't help much.

This strikes me as a useful accessory of which the value is difficult if not neigh impossible to calculate. I think it was San Francisco eons back that ran a test with a third brake light (onlu) mounted to the leading edge of the trunk of a bunch of cabs.

Over time they noted a drop in rear end collisions from which it was inferred the third brake light was responsible and the CHMSL was born. Unfortunately this killed a great device (the Voevodsky Cyberlight) that's progress. I guess.

But wiring the ST2 to a separate discrete brake light is the way to go INMSHO. It keeps the factory system in good stead and adds a bit of conspicuity in function.

@rogo if you could get some video of the ST2 in action it would be much appreciated. Of the biggest interest to me is how it functions if you just pull in the clutch and coast to a slowdown or stop without any engine or other braking. Although not really well done most of the YT vids cover engine braking which would be of major interest I would think to most riders. The coasting aspect is a curiosity to me and not a tactical aspect.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I finally received a relay to finish this project.
IMG_5991.jpeg
I can't discern if they are operating on my rear dash cam from todays ride.
I need a night ride to see how they work. There's a bit of shiny grab rail in my camera view.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I bought my rear unit over a year ago,,, but did not install it till late last season. I have used it in both the steady and strobing modes (I settled on the strobe mode). It works great,, and is appreciated by those that I ride with. However,,, my buddy bought a unit recently,,, and it does not have the strobing feature. I suspect that the product has changed. Perhaps, the strobing mode is not permitted in some market segments,,, and ST2 only wants to make one model ?? Just guessing,,, as the tech support I have used in the past,,, was from the earlier company STS,,,, not from ST2. Just fyi,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Top Bottom