ST2 brake module

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Hello,

I purchased the ST2 brake module which powers on your brake lights upon decelerating. The instructions require that you mount the module level in the direction of the label attached to the module. There are 3 wires that need to be connected to the module, black to ground, grey to brake light signal wire, and red/violet to power or to any ignition switched powered source.
Since my 2006 ST1300 has 2 brake light bulbs, there are 2 sets of the wires (and different wire colors than the instructions show). I was told that further down the wiring harness the 2 sets of wires are spliced to a single set of wires, which is where I need to place the included splice connectors to allow the module to be connected to.
Has anyone installed the ST2 brake module on their ST1300, and if so, where did you connect the leads (if possible include pictures).
I am excited to install this component since I constantly downshift to slow down which poses a safety issue since I don't always press on the brake to allow drivers behind me to see that I am slowing down or stopping.
Thanks

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Electrically, they're all the same wire. You can connect the module's brake-light wire anywhere along that wire, before or after the split, anywhere from either brake-light switch all the way to right at either brake-light socket.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
That is what I thought so I reached out to ST2 technical support and they replied; You can go further down and find where they are connected, or connect the power and ground to one of the sources, and add another wire to the Brake Module signal wire and hook it to the second light’s signal wire.
Based on their reply it seems that connecting to only 1 set of brake light wires would only allow 1 of the 2 lights to work, however when they suggest adding a wire I believe that they are suggesting that I splice an additional wire to the module signal lead and then connect the 2 signal leads from the module to each of the brake light socket wires. Do you agree with my interpretation?

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Do you agree with my interpretation?
No. I believe they meant lengthening the wire if necessary to reach the back of the bike. However, there is no advantage to splitting a wire to attach it to two wires that are already connected together.

In my opinion, you should connect the module's brake-light wire to the bike's brake-light wire wherever it passes near the ST-2, like where the handlebar wiring plugs into the harness. It's green with a yellow stripe.

OP
OP
Bike
2006 Honda ST1300
Sorry for the delay replying. So after going back and forth with ST2 technical support I determined that the connection using the provided quick connect squeeze type connector did not make contact. After soldering leads with a male spade connector, I was able to get the brake module working. The design allows the brake light to either light up solid or pulse when the unit senses the bike is slowing down just by flipping the module over. I like knowing that when decelerating I don't have to remember to tap the brakes and hopefully everyone behind me realizes that I am slowing down.

Reactions: Obo

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I was thinking of a similar installation of a brake light modulator and I plan to tap into the OEM connectors on the rear of the taillamp socket with something like this from CycleTerminal.com.

1643147738746.png

I'd pull the terminals from the connector, clip the OEM terminals then double up each of the wires in the new terminals so these new wires could be fed to their own connector. They could service a modulator - per Barry's original application - or to power a white license plate light - as I need, since my formerly white incandescent bulbs were replaced with red LED lamps.

All wiring mods would be confined to the region on one one side or the other of the ECU near a taillamp connector in the tailsection.

Prior to considering the connector I reference above, I needed a brake light wire to power the auxiliary brake lights in my Givi top box and I found a 2 wire Hitachi connector near the rear of the engine beside the rear brake pedal. I inserted a pair of male/female connectors between the OEM ones where I extracted the brake wire for the Givi box.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
My guess is that the connector they provided was for a larger size conductor than that found on your bike. The ST uses some mighty fine wires. When you installed it, it did not touch the wire itself, only the insulation. But I'm glad you got it all connected.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The connecters were probably sized correctly. Pushing the wire all the way to the bottom of the connector is necessary to insure conduction. The problem is they're Scotch-Lock connectors which are doomed to failure a high percentage of the time. It's almost always a matter of when not if.

STRider's solution is a little more intensive but really the way to go – clean professional and reliable. It also allows for spiderman302's tail light to running light mod with switchback bulbs. You could use regular tail light/stop light LEDs but you'd have amber running lights via the turn signals and that could draw unwanted attention. I did that with my 750-4 and GL1000 and was never stopped but that's far from any assurance of not getting a ticket.

Top Bottom