Staintunes and Heat?

Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
Does anyone experiencing a heat problem notice a difference with Staintunes. I'm trying to figure out if the heat around my feet and ankles may be reduced with a more free flow less restrictive exhaust?

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Re: Staintunes?

I immediately noticed the saddlebags were cooler. I don't think the Staintunes get as hot as the stock pipes and they cool off much quicker.

Ray

Byron

STOC #
Re: Staintunes?

I didn't have a heat issue with the stock mufflers other than it took them a long time to cool off. I don't have a heat issue with the Staintunes and they do cool faster as pointed out by Ray. Another side benefit is they weight less.

Bike
ST1300
One thousand miles ago I removed the 2Brothers and mounted the stock exhaust. The bike is much warmer with the stock exhaust. When I purchased the ST the 2Brothers were already installed, so I really hadn't felt the heat that some had purported until now. Of course with Fall and Winter coming I will not sweat the heat until next summer.

:04biker:

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
A friend of mine who owns a St1300 put an infrared thermometer on the stock pipes, at the converter under the passenger footpegs, IIRC. He claimed he measured ~900F with the stock, and ~500F after putting on the staintunes, with both warmed up to operating temps. If true, that's a 400F reduction in heat, substantial it seems. He decided to change them out after his girlfriend complained about heat on her feet and he also got a nasty burn one day from the stock pipes.

FWIW...

STOC #
DWJ Honda said:
How much does a set cost?

And how about installation cost too?

thanks, Dennis
Installation is simple enough that almost anyone can do it. I friend installed them in about 20 minutes, and he's not too mechanical.

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Does not having the catalytic converters in the staintunes have any effect on the emissions? My concern would be passing the state inspection. Seems like they wouldn't be selling as many as they do if there was a problem, but I'd hate to make a bad assumption and flunk the test!

sickchilly

ennui...
STOC #
MLRickards said:
Does not having the catalytic converters in the staintunes have any effect on the emissions?
Heck yes, not having the cats will affect emissions! Your CO and NOx levels will both be up a good bit. Whether or not that will affect you being able to test depends upon how much they go up and what level your state/county/city, etc. tests at.

In most states, there is no emission testing on motorcycles. That is why you see so many aftermarket exhausts (and non-DOT approved ones at that) for motorcycles. Personally, I can't wait until they start some sort of standard motorcycle inspections nation wide. Loud pipes save lives my A$$!

Same goes for vehicles. A safety inspection should be mandatory everywhere. I can't believe the number of new cars sold today where the stinkin' turn signals just don't seem to work?! ;)

Any restriction in the flow of hot exhaust gas will heat up. On a M109R I dyno'd with several different mufflers the radiated heat difference was HUGE ..from 'touchable' on a very 'free flow' type, to one where the rubber strap under the mounting clamp caught fire. Even the ST stockers have heat shields on the wheelside (I assume for the brakes) because of the heat their restrictive nature creates.

murray56

MC Murray
STOC #
Does milage get better with the Stainedtunes?
That would be subject to your riding style. I installed a set of ST's within 1500 miles of picking up my bike. Unfortunately, I did not ride it long enough to tell the difference.

Looks, sound, possibly an increase of 2/3 HP, were the primary factors for purchasing. My tendency to "blip" the throttle, and desire to hear the rumble of unbaffled pipes, most likely restricts my MPG.

I have a friend who I have ridden many miles with. No matter what brand bikes we are riding, most times he gets better mileage than I do. My riding habits are definitely suspect!

StainTunes, IMO, look nice and "personalize" the bike.

Regards,

Top Bottom