stamped vin locations

Bike
2007 st 1300
can anyone tell me where to find the vin# that is stamped in the frame? I see the sticker vin but I have to show them where it is stamped into the frame so they will issue me a tag.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If I remember correctly you'll have to look at the engine under the right side... flashlight might help as well as something to clean the area if it is crusty...

EDIT:
Okay that was foolish: you asked for Frame stamp!
Which ST?
This PDF says that on a 1300 there is one below the seat.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
would I need to get under the bike to see it? it is usually stamped on the front steering area around the forks on most bikes but I only see the placard with the vin# there. I have to have the stamped into the metal version or they wont take it.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
would I need to get under the bike to see it? it is usually stamped on the front steering area around the forks on most bikes but I only see the placard with the vin# there. I have to have the stamped into the metal version or they wont take it.
Please reread my 1st post... If it is a 1300 the PDF linked says it is stamped in the frame under the seat...

OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
yes,it is the 1300. ill check under the seat.they wont take the plate type vin. they insist that they see the stamped into the frame vin. I looked all over this thing and cant locate it. ill have to wait till I get home to look under the seat. if anyone else chimes in a picture would be nice. I just bought it and I don't knoiw my way around it yet.:)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The frame isn't really visible without pulling the tank and fairing off. If it's stamped on the frame somewhere under the tank I can't remember it, not saying it's not there I just don't remember it. This fairing and tank removal isn't something you would normally do in a DMV parking lot.

The part under the seat is a steel tube subframe that bolts to the aluminum frame. The VIN isn't on that. I'm scratching my head why the DMV requires seeing the stamped VIN and won't accept the FDOT placard on the head stock. Is this bike a salvage titled bike?

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Since I have the gas tank and side cowls off I checked my ST1300 and could find no VIN stamping or any tags. The only VIN I found was on a tag on the left side of the fork tube. I'm with Dave questioning your DMV requirements. You might try calling another DMV office and see what they require.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There's a tab w/engine number on the left side of the engine I believe but I don't remember seeing the vin stamped anywhere. Just the sticker on the forward part of the frame near the forks.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I'd go to another DMV office. The two by my house... one is a lot bigger PITA then the other. YMMV!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well, I used the sure-fire method......I went out to the garage and looked. Right side of steering head on 2006 ST1300. Here's a pic for proof.

John

image.jpg

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, I used the sure-fire method......I went out to the garage and looked. Right side of steering head on 2006 ST1300. Here's a pic for proof.

John

image.jpg
Nice John, thanks!

OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
Thanks john, they wont take it if its not the stamped vin. they say its to easy to pull a fast one with the aluminum plate vin. I have bought about three bikes in the last two years and they always make you do it here in florida. I was wondering if it was under the bike if she will crawl on her knees to see it lol!. Last time I had to bring a flashlight and mirror.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks john, they wont take it if its not the stamped vin. they say its to easy to pull a fast one with the aluminum plate vin. I have bought about three bikes in the last two years and they always make you do it here in florida. I was wondering if it was under the bike if she will crawl on her knees to see it lol!. Last time I had to bring a flashlight and mirror.
I think the issue is with Barney or Bernice Fife running that office. I've bought 14 bikes in the last 11 years in my native state of FL and never encountered a DMV employee discounting the FDOT placard on the frame. Tampering with that is a federal offense.

Two bikes, a 1965 and a 1981 IIRC, did not have the now-standard VIN just frame numbers. I did not have titles on these and they were problematic but all the ones I had a bill of sale and title to present to the DMV they accepted the FDOT placard on the frame.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
In the picture, you'll notice that half of the VIN is covered by the 2 metal lines. I didn't check to see how hard it is to move the lines to read the entire number. You can tell the inspector, "There it is." Then I guess it's her problem to read it. :D

Ride Safe
John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Please reread my 1st post... If it is a 1300 the PDF linked says it is stamped in the frame under the seat...
You read it wrong, its something to do with the COLOR that is on the frame under the seat. The VIN is on the steering head as others have shown, and the PDF verifies that fact.

To the OP, if you show them the Honda PDF showing where the VIN is attached, how can they deny that and insist that you provide something else ? The manufacturer (possibly with gov't guidelines) chooses where to locate and attach the VIN, I don't see how the DMV can arbitrarily request something different (that doesn't exist) after the bike is manufactured and sold.

I'd keep asking for another opinion from the DMV until somebody makes some sense, because you're never going to be able to provide them with a stamped-into-the-frame VIN number.

edit: network at work was flaky for a while, here are the two screenshots of the VIN location and color info location according to the PDF:

vin1.JPG vin2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
well I made it home and just as john said it was on the right hand side as shown in the picture he provided. I can read the whole thing with no problem as long as I have a flashlight. I'm not sure why they have to see the stamped vin other than they say they do. but ive had three different people on three different bikes and they all say they have to see the stamped numbers.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
wav6940 said:
I'm not sure why they have to see the stamped vin other than they say they do. but ive had three different people on three different bikes and they all say they have to see the stamped numbers.
Is that at more than one DMV office? It sure does sound like it's a local decision. Maybe someone is concerned/paranoid that the plate is counterfeited. Maybe something like stores that won't except bill$ larger than $20 because spotting counterfeits (and making change) can be a problem.

That's been a common technique in CA and elsewhere I'm sure. Some manufacturers provide law enforcement exact specifications and details for rivets and the way various numbers are represented to help spot counterfeit VINs.

I've never had a situation where the DMV needed more than paperwork. <counting my blessings>

OP
OP
Bike
2007 st 1300
its at three locations here in panama city florida. I asked her specifically and she said they are required to do it.

Top Bottom