Starcom 2-way radio cable extension?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've got my Kenwood FRS radio and matching CAB-01 interface cable, but it's a wee bit short. I don't see an extenion cable listed on the Techstar site. Can I just use a computer cable here? I heard this would work either for the headsets or for the 2-way radio but can't remember which. Perhaps both?

Thanks

Hi If it's just the 2 way radio you need extending a male to female 3.5 jack will work just fine as the starcom end is as stated earlier 6 pin mini din so just extend the the radio end being 3.5 jack if thats possible for you

ccryder said:
FWIW I tried this route with my Midland GRMS and it did not work! There is something different. I tried the cheap and quick and had to get the Starcom cable. Neil S.

Neil

Were you trying to use the computer cable as the main cable or just an extension? I don't understand how a simple extension could change anything between the Starcom unit and the Starcom radio specific cable. :confused:

wjbertrand said:
I don't see an extenion cable listed on the Techstar site.

Jeff,

The following Starcom1 cables will work for extending the radio cable.

HSEX-01
Head Set extension lead 1.5m/4 ft coiled cable (included with all helmet sets)

HSEX-02
Head Set extension lead 60cm /2 feet straight cable

HSEX-03 Head Set extension lead 2m/6 feet straight cable

Tim :03biker:

Thanks guys, seems to be some disagreement whether this will work or not. :confused: As long as all the pins are connected to each other end-to-end and the sockets will fit, seems like it would work. Maybe there's special shielding or something?? The simple 3.5mm extension at the radio end won't work as the Kenwood specific cable has two mail plugs at that end.

OK, the final answer as determined by me. I went to Fry's and picked up a cheapo ($3.99) PS-2 mouse/keyboard extension cable. I plugged the male end into the Starcom and plugged the Starcom CAB-01 cable for my Kenwood radio into the other end. Bottom line - it works perfectly. I don't know who makes the cable but it plugs in nice and firm too.

Back
Top Bottom