Starcom Advance Installation

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
Hello Everyone,

Haven't posted in a while. I just bought the Starcom Advance and was curious if anyone had any pics or installation tips on installing this system. I bought it mainly for pillion communication but may add MP3 later. I'm mainly interested in an under the seat install.

Just for kicks I happened to be near the STealer where I purchased my ST a year ago. I asked him how much to install the Starcom. His reply was 3 hours @ $95 an hour!!!! He said however, he would only charge me for 3 hours even if it took him 4 hours. (How nice of him!) Wow 4 hours to hook up one power cable.:eek:

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
yeah... dealers...

I've got mine under the seat. There is a harness with an open connection on right side in back. The connection is a 4-pin connector. The connector is a Hitachi type and can be gotten from these guys:

http://electricalconnection.com/index2.htm

Of course, you can just tap into the line too.

The supplied cables from your unit will work. I don't have pics handy, but the unit is under the passenger seat, near/behind the tool-kit and I use the rubber strap to hold it in. It's a tight fit, but it works. the helmet lead works its way under the seats, and out near my left thigh. This is where have the the holder for the lead. IIRC, the new helmet lead seemed kinda tight at first.

If you have to go to the handle bars, I think you'll be ok. for the most part. I've always had problems finding the right cables at radio shack. But Calsport carries Starcom stuff.

Good luck,

Tom de

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have my Starcom strapped in under the hold down for the computer mudule in the rear chamber. I also have 2 bulkhead mini din connectors mounted on the left front fairing and rear left panel below the seat for my wife. I can post pics when I get home from work.

RTETR

Craig Clark
I keep mine in a small tankbag and run my cell, MP3, GPS and bike2bike radios... One powerlet into the bag and quick to remove when stopped or using on my other bike.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
You don't need a dealer to install this thing, it's pretty much plug and play once you have all the cables. I put mine under the passenger seat using the rubber hold down apparently intended for the tool kit. It fits there perfectly.

OP
OP
wjc-jr300
Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
Thanks Jeff for the pic. It looks perfect sitting there. Dave O., if you have time I would appreciate seeing your set-up also. Take care all.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Forgot to mention that I used a piece of dense foam between the StarCom and the fender, just to cushion things a bit.

Your dealer really is a STEALER if he is charging you 3 hours for fitting the starcom unit. It shouldn't take you more that about 3o mins to permanantly fit the unit.

STOC #
If you have an ABS model, you don't want to use the Red Diagnostic connector in the tail. It will cause noise on your starcom. Additionally I needed to install a power line filter in order to eliminate alternator noise in the system.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
If you have an ABS model, you don't want to use the Red Diagnostic connector in the tail. It will cause noise on your starcom. Additionally I needed to install a power line filter in order to eliminate alternator noise in the system.
Hi Mark,

What kind of power line filter did you use for the alt whine noise?

Top Bottom