STarCom All Setup!

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Finally got everything I order for my StarCom1 Advance and it's now all setup, adjusted, and tested. It works great!!! Got a Sirius InV sat. radio attached with a inline noise filter from Crutchfield which works perfectly! No noise! I had a whining noise and when I installed my new headlight modulator it was clicking too. But with the inline filter that is all gone; no static, no noise, cyrstal! Got my cellphone attached and with the full helmet headset and microphone and adjusting the microphone's sensitivity that is working nicely as long as I talk in a low normal voice. Got my Motorola GRMS/FRS 2-way radio attached and was able to test it with Dana during the ride to the Dairy Queen and it worked very nicely. Got my MIO Digiwalker C-220 GPS attached and it is giving me voice directions while muting the music; cool! And the cellphone, sat. radio and GPS is all attached to my handlebars using Ram-Mounts. I'm very happy with it now and can't wait to try it out on a nice long ride! :06biker:

I have all this crap stuffed into a Cortech mini-tankbag which I installed in it a Powerlet tankbag power connector on its side; cool! All I have to do is park, stuff the stuff into the tankbag and either put it in one of my hardbags, or carry it with me! Cool! :hotpepper

Here's a couple photos of the setup...

Attachments

Last edited:

RTETR

Craig Clark
Looks great and sounds like you're happy... ;-)

Similar set up to what I've done since I got my 05 a couple years bacl... slick and easy on & off huh?

Did you run your powerlet up through the steering head? Makes for a clean and quick powersource.

Get an Ijet remote and you'll find it excellent for the Ipod...

Attachments

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Looks great and sounds like you're happy... ;-)

Similar set up to what I've done since I got my 05 a couple years bacl... slick and easy on & off huh?

Did you run your powerlet up through the steering head? Makes for a clean and quick powersource.

Get an Ijet remote and you'll find it excellent for the Ipod...
It is! :hotpepper My Powerlet is in the left fairing below the pocket. Don't have a Ipod. I have a Sony Mini-disc player and Sirius satellite radio.

BTW... I think it's time you get a hydraulic fluid change! LOL.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
radio attached with a inline noise filter from Crutchfield which works perfectly! No noise! I had a whining noise and when I installed my new headlight modulator it was clicking too. But with the inline filter that is all gone; no static, no noise, cyrstal! /QUOTE]

Finewest,

Sounds like a great job, i'm interested in the filter you fitted, what is it and where about does it fit. I have an autocom system fitted to my bike and have a electrical whine in the background. Some details of your install would be appreciated.

Ride Safe

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Finewest,

Sounds like a great job, i'm interested in the filter you fitted, what is it and where about does it fit. I have an autocom system fitted to my bike and have a electrical whine in the background. Some details of your install would be appreciated.

Ride Safe
It was recommended on one of the threads about line noise from the bike's engine and electronics. Works perfectly! Here's the link to the product:

Crutchfield Ground Loop In-Line Noise Filter

Last edited:

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Fred,

thanks for the link, will have to purchase one of these. Your help is much appreciated.

Ride Safe

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Fred,

thanks for the link, will have to purchase one of these. Your help is much appreciated.

Ride Safe
You will not be disappointed! It worked much better than I had hoped! And best of all: Simple and cheap!

RTETR

Craig Clark
BTW... I think it's time you get a hydraulic fluid change! LOL.
Fluids have all been changed last fall and pads and tires swapped out a few weeks ago. The pics I posted were taken a while back and since then I've moved from the Starcom1 to the Advanced and to a black 80Gig Ipod (more manly) and upgraded my GPS... still the same set up though. ;-)

I had considered installing the Starcom1 Advanced in the tail of the ST but I also have a little GS650 and opted to stay with the tank bag set up so I can easily swap between bikes.

Happy trails!

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
One of these actually works better if you plan on hard wiring power to everything.

I plan to install in the tail (the Starcom just fits too perfect under the tool pack rubber band retainer.)

Going to wire up a fuse block and use the in-line filter to feed the fuse block power. I tested it tonight and it works great! Clean power and quiet!

http://yhst-39678470127617.stores.yahoo.net/nfposuinnofi.html

<D>

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
One of these actually works better if you plan on hard wiring power to everything.

I plan to install in the tail (the Starcom just fits too perfect under the tool pack rubber band retainer.)

I have installed my autocom in the place you have fitted your starcom, I see there are two 12v power leads, can both be connected from the same suppy or does one 12v have to come directly from the battery.

Ride Safe

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
With one of these noise suppression units (the one I posted was only 5 amps, the one I purchased was rated at 20amps) there are three leads: 2 "hots" and one ground.

You hook the side with the single hot up "in-line" with the hot from your battery. (or "source side"), you then connect the positive of the other side to whatever you are trying to power (in my case, fuse block) and ground the negative (I grounded to the same point my fuse block was grounded).

I think this has been stated before, but the important thing about this method is that ALL audio devices need to be powered from the filtered "hot"....otherwise you will start introducing ground loops after the filter (hence my decision to cave in and get a fuse block)

<D>

Last edited:
Top Bottom