StarCom Microphone Volume

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Anybody know how to lower the volume on the StarCom1 Advance's microphone? I got the full helmet headset today and installed it and the cellphone speech (mine) is still sounding a bit garbled. I have to speak real low and then my wife (and voice-mail) can understand the words. I really believe it is due to the microphone's volume being too high. I don't think this is the same as the microphone's sensitivity, but I've been wrong before!?

STOC #
On the side of the Starcom are dials marked as mic1 and mic2. This is the sensitivity of the microphones. I have both of mine turned to the max counter clockwise. I emailed starcom and asked why I had to turn them way down. Their response was the unit is designed to work with a wide variety of microphones. If you are using the Starcom headsets, they are matched to the amplifier and you don't need to add gain, but different after market headsets can have a wide range of impedance. This is where the adjustment comes in handy.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
On the side of the Starcom are dials marked as mic1 and mic2. This is the sensitivity of the microphones. I have both of mine turned to the max counter clockwise. I emailed starcom and asked why I had to turn them way down. Their response was the unit is designed to work with a wide variety of microphones. If you are using the Starcom headsets, they are matched to the amplifier and you don't need to add gain, but different after market headsets can have a wide range of impedance. This is where the adjustment comes in handy.
OK, let me sure I understand ya... You turn the sensitivity all the way down? Counter clock-wise to minimum (or off) sensitivity? :confused: I have mine set to mid-point.

STOC #
Just curious, are you able to talk between helmets? Is the sound clear then? I just bought a Starcom1 system, too, but there appears to be a problem with mine. The headset 2 jack does not seem to function when I connect the 2nd headset. Also, the Bluetooth connection to my Motoral Razr has a fair amount of static. Another thing that I think I noticed is that when I have music playing from my iPod then I don't get any kind of chime when a call comes in. The music stops and I'm connected, no warning. When the music is not playing then I get a short ring tone before the call is answered.

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Fred,

I had the exact same problem with my Starcom system when I tried to hard wire the phone straight to the Starcom... Tried Nextel & Verizon service providers & Motorola & LG phones. No luck when hardwired to the Starcom. Tony at Starcom even sent me a new Starcom unit & new cables.. Still had same issue. I could hear the person I called, they could not hear me... Starcom Bluetooth set up did solve problem.

OP
OP
Finewest

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
RideOn: My phone doesn't ring in ears either. Just answers and then scares the hell outta me when some phantom voice says "hello?" LOL. I don't have a rider, I ride solo so no need for second mike. My Starcom is working really great! Yours sounds like you might be having trouble. I'd check on that.

AZ: the phone works fine, its just I believe the microphone's gain is too high making some of my speech garbled to the caller, but the sound volume is good. If I talk in a softer lower tone then the words are legible. I will try turning the mic's sensitivity all the way down and whisper.

STOC #
OK, let me sure I understand ya... You turn the sensitivity all the way down? Counter clock-wise to minimum (or off) sensitivity? :confused: I have mine set to mid-point.

Yes, start there and turn up, clockwise, as necessary.

Just curious, are you able to talk between helmets? Is the sound clear then? I just bought a Starcom1 system, too, but there appears to be a problem with mine. The headset 2 jack does not seem to function when I connect the 2nd headset. Also, the Bluetooth connection to my Motoral Razr has a fair amount of static. Another thing that I think I noticed is that when I have music playing from my iPod then I don't get any kind of chime when a call comes in. The music stops and I'm connected, no warning. When the music is not playing then I get a short ring tone before the call is answered.
Ok, a couple of things:

1) Headset 2 will only work if a headset is connected to Headset 1. This is how the StarCom1 turns on and off. If you are not getting any communication between Headset1 and Headset2, the first step is to turn on the sidetone for both headsets, see your manual towards the back. With the sidetone turned on you will hear yourself talk in your speakers. For you to hear yourself the starcom1 has taken the signal from your mic, processed it through the amplifier and transmitted it back to your headset speakers. If you study the wiring of the circuit you will find that the sidetone switch couples the output of the amp back to your speakers. This output is the same source for the other headset. Therefore if you can hear yourself, but your partner can not hear your, then there is either a wiring problem from the StarCom1 circuit board to the pigtail connector, or you have a problem with your second headset

Both of these can be determined by switch headsets.

If you can't hear yourself, then either you have a headset problem, or the Starcom1 is bad.

2) The static is most like caused be the cable picking up radiated emmisions from the ignition coil. Make sure the cable is ran along the inside of the frame under the gas tank. Also, in order to eliminate all of the noise in the system I needed to add a powerline filter. You can get them at your local automotive store. Mine is rated at 20 amps, and is the feed for my accessory fuse block.

3) I can not speak to the issues with the phone. I have not done this yet, and when I do it will be Bluetooth.

STOC #
OK, my setup is working better today. I think part of the problem yesterday was I was trying to do everything with the engine off. I think low voltage was causing strange behavior. I just about killed the battery. I charged the bike overnight and did my testing this morning with the engine running. It seems the only problems now are that I hear a minor amount of engine noise, and the open face mic barely works. I will buy a powerline filter to solve the engine noise. The open face mic for my wife's flip up helmet I think needs to be replaced. If I put the mic between my lips and talk in a low tone of voice (lots of bass) it works, but that is not very practical especially for my wife. The mic sensitivity adjustments do nothing. I think I will switch for the full face design, like I have in my helmet, for her flip up helmet. As far as sound quality on the cell phone using the Bluetooth connection, the static I noticed yesterday is gone, but my wife says it sounds a bit like I'm in a "fish bowl" but that she can understand me fine. Off to the auto parts store I go...

Bob

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
So I am going through the same "Noise" issue as everyone else...

Did anyone else install a Noise filter and did it cure the alternator "whistle" completely or just minimize it? Night and day difference?

I picked one up at PEPBOYS tonight for about $13 (20 AMP) but didn't have time to wire it up... just too busy with work.

I want to know if I am wasting my time with this filter or not BEFORE I install it... :)

Cheers!

<D>

STOC #
Given the price and current rating, you probably have the same Filter I bought. Works great. Before the filter I could hear the engine noise promenantly over the music. With the filter I only hear the engine noise when the MP3 player is off, and I have to listen for it. Keep in mind, you need to have good ground management.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Thanks for the info Mark.

More questions for you... Can you describe (photos?) how you have your system mounted and where you tapped for power and grounds at?

Thanks for the ongoing help. :)

<D>

STOC #
Dirty power line goes off the batter to wards the rear of the bike. Clean power line goes to the EC fuse box relay. Clean power out of EC Fuse Box Relay is twisted with the ground wire and follows the ground wire back to the middle of the bike where the ground wire is terminated with a wire lug to the bolt the holds the right side of the Seat Adjustment frame to the bike frame. The Clean Power line goes to the EC Fuse panel mounted on top of the battery. Since the Power line filter is only rated for 20amps, I put a 20 amp fuse in the EC Fuse panel.

The trigger wire for the relay runs off of the low/high beam lamp enable signal coming off of the Ignition start switch, Blue wire White Stripe. This wire has 12 volt power when ever the ignition key is on or in ACC, and the ignition start switch is not pressed.

In this configuration my Aux lights, and all of my sensitive electronics are not powered when The bike starts. This reduces load on the battery during starts and also saves these electronics from the flyback voltages that can be transmitted when the starter is disengaged.

Top Bottom