Starcom1 and GPS

I think I have this figured out but would like some confirmation. I have a Starcom 1 and use both the radio aux input and the cell phone input on occasion. Now I have the GPS. I have read thru the online information and I think it is only a matter of adding the starcom ADA-01. Can anyone confirm this or make an alternative (cheap) suggestion?

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I just use a y-adapter on with my gps and satellite radio and then hook those up to the aux. If you run one at a time you get a buzzing in the audio. Just turn both one or completely unplug one and it is no problem. Heck of a lot cheaper than Starcom's cable. Theirs has an isolation filter to eliminate the buzz.

OP
OP
Diggers1300, I am hoping to take advantage of the cell phone input to overide the radio audio. When I plug the gps into the cell phone jack without the cell phone then I get the buzz. Probably related to the fact that the cell jack is 2 way audio and the GPS is not. When you plug both into the aux can you hear the GPS audio even if th radio is playing ?

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Sorry Fred. I missed the cell phone part.

I don't want to use a cell phone on the bike but have plans for a CB/2-way radio later. I plug the GPS and radar detector via the y-adapter into the phone connector. The satellite radio is plugged into the audio jack. This way either the GPS or the radar detector will override the sat radio. These two will also override the CB/2-way radio when it gets installed.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

OP
OP
Bike Effects, Starcom 1 regular with a Iway 250c. The aux input has a am/fm/mp3 connected. When I plugged the GPS into the cell phone jack I get a loud constant buzzing. When the cell phone is plugged in it works fine. I haven't tried both at the same time. Usually I do not have the cell phone plugged in. I am concerned that the GPS output is going to the cell phone audio output rather than the input. The other possibility is that the GPS audio is not matched to the Starcom input. If this is the case I need the help of the electronic guru's.

OP
OP
So if you are listening to the XM and the GPS "says" something I assume you can hear this over the xm based on the vol. levels you have set.

Top Bottom