starter relay wires getting hot

Bike
1991 st1100
The wires from my starter relay are getting really hot. I have put a new relay onbut still have the same problem,she still starts and runs ok , can any of you guys steer me in the right direction. :confused:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Do you mean the little wires that trigger it or the big ones that transfer power to the starter?

--Mark

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would take a close look at the wires/connections to make sure they are not corroded. I was having issues with my fuseblock relay getting so hot it was melting. Turned out that the wire connections had gone bad, causing the heat.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The circuit that engages the starter relay should only be energized when you're pressing the starter button, so there shouldn't be any occasion for the wiring to get warm, much less hot.

I'd start by turning on the ignition and looking for voltage across the relay coil. Maybe your starter button is sticking in some position that's allowing current through but has enough resistance that the voltage drop is enough to prevent the relay from engaging.

--Mark

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Check and clean the wire contacts... the wires should be larger enough for the relay from factory, heat usu means more resistance.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi Rob. My guess is it's not the relay wires, but is the main fuse (red) lead. You might want to do the bypass mod just for peace of mind. Wait too long and you might end up like this:

Amazingly, this ST was still running this way, but wouldn't have lasted for very much longer. I cleaned it up for my friend and did the bypass.

Regards, John :STOC:

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
Hi Rob. My guess is it's not the relay wires, but is the main fuse (red) lead. You might want to do the bypass mod just for peace of mind. Wait too long and you might end up like this:

Amazingly, this ST was still running this way, but wouldn't have lasted for very much longer. I cleaned it up for my friend and did the bypass.

Regards, John :STOC:
hi john, it did, the relay had started to melt but the connector is still ok so you recommend the bypass ? thanks paul

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
@ John O.... I take it this is for an 1100 only?? Also the article for bypass, is it in the forum?

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I would clean all the connections, replace the starter relay AND clean the starter switch fully and apply some dielectric grease.

Cover all eventualities and you should be okay. You may have to replace the connector to the relay also and lengthen the wires that go to it.
This had been done on my previous ST, but re-occurred, which as far as I could make out, was due to the starter button/switch getting dirty.... this caused improper operation of the starter relay due to lower current through the energising coil, this leads to drop out of the relay when the starter engages as the relay energising coil terminal voltage drops even further.... heat builds up in the relay and voila, relay overheats.... I think the battery suffers as well due to rapid transitioning on and off load as the relay chatters.....

Well that's my take on it anyway....

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Can't find it just now (lots of old discussions about the bypass on ST-Riders.net, but in the members only area), but it's pretty simple - remove the red wire from the 4-P, cut it back until you get good wire (flexible/not stiff, no corrosion) and splice on a heavy duty inline fuse holder (30amp) and connect its other end to the battery + post.

Colored wiring diagrams here: http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3908.0

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
I would clean all the connections, replace the starter relay AND clean the starter switch fully and apply some dielectric grease.

Cover all eventualities and you should be okay. You may have to replace the connector to the relay also and lengthen the wires that go to it.
This had been done on my previous ST, but re-occurred, which as far as I could make out, was due to the starter button/switch getting dirty.... this caused improper operation of the starter relay due to lower current through the energising coil, this leads to drop out of the relay when the starter engages as the relay energising coil terminal voltage drops even further.... heat builds up in the relay and voila, relay overheats.... I think the battery suffers as well due to rapid transitioning on and off load as the relay chatters.....

Well that's my take on it anyway....
thanks for your input guys the work begins tonight :)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I think this is it John. It's labelled as "Main Fuse Upgrade".

http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=3923.0
Aha... it WAS in the ST1100 Archive Of Wisdom! Thanks, Julien. I didn't use the right search word(s). Rob connected his to the 96-02 OEM 55amp fuseable-link/fuseblock that he installed when he upgraded to the 40amper. With a 28amper I'd go direct to the battery.

N.B. - Also, looking at the 28amper's wiring diagram, the red-w/white-stripe wire at the red 4P is still needed by the VRR and still requires fuse protection. It can either continue to use the 30A main fuse in the starter-relay/main-fuse unit (assuming it's still functional), OR it can also be snipped and spliced into the new inline fuse holder along with the red wire.

John

Last edited:
HI Guys

I`m having the same problem with my `96 ex police ST and the mod looks easy enough to do. One thing though - VRR???

regards from the UK

Gerry

N.B. - Also, looking at the 28amper's wiring diagram, the red-w/white-stripe wire at the red 4P is still needed by the VRR and still requires fuse protection. It can either continue to use the 30A main fuse in the starter-relay/main-fuse unit (assuming it's still functional), OR it can also be snipped and spliced into the new inline fuse holder along with the red wire.

John
Hi.
I am on my my way to do the red wire Bypass.
I am not sure what to do with the red/white wire from the VRR.
When i look on the electric scheme, i think this red/white wire must carry the same current (Charging current + load current ) as the big red wire ?
In my mind, both the red and the red/white wire must be included in the bypass.
Should i then splice it into the new inline fuse as mentioned above, or get another inline fuse ?

Please let me have some comments on this.:)

Kairo

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Should i then splice it into the new inline fuse as mentioned above, or get another inline fuse ?
Kairo,
Yes, you should splice.

Mark

Top Bottom