Starting problem

Lost all power and bike cut out. Suspected the alternator had failed. Charged the battery to run the bike to check if charging. But as soon as I connected the battery it started turning over. Everything switched off. Sny suggestions would be grateful

OP
OP
It's a 2007 model and not ex-police. I hope I might if had a bit of luck. I fully charged the battery and fitted it. Again it started to turn over without the ignition on. I disconnected the starter relay and refitted the battery again. Reconnected the relay and it started and ran. Checked the voltage to the battery and it was reading 14v. So hopefully all sorted. I will get a new battery and relay to make sure all is well.thsnks for the reply.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
If your ignition is trying to start itself with everything turned off, one of the first things I would check is the connectors on the left side of the bike, just in front of the large connectors.
There should be a red,black,and white one.
If these are damaged, they will try and Hotwire your bike even without the key.
I’ve found them pushed up against the fan shroud which cuts through them as it spins.

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Here is a better picture of how the ignition wires get damaged.
I would also clean your starter switch housing with plastic friendly contact cleaner.

Attachments

Bike
St 1300
Where on bundle is it damaged,rubbing on rad core ? Looks like is may have been moved from work done after bike was built

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The edge of the spinning radiator fan shroud cut through the sheathing and a couple wires.
This shroud is supposed to be retained by a plastic P clip behind the larger one, but when the owner replaced the Tupperware, it was missed, and pushed forward against the shroud and the edge of the radiator.
This type of failure will leave you on the side of the road, and I doubt ANY Honda shop would find it without several hours of labor searching for it.
The damage was hidden on the rear bottom of the wires and could have easily been missed.

I have had this happen to me on a different ride and found the starter relay points stuck to the on position. If you don't find any damaged wiring trouble shooting the relay is pretty simple and should help for finding short in wiring as well. If the power is going to the trigger side of the relay, disconnect the power going to the starter side of the relay -hook up a light to the output side of the relay or the trigger side and start to wiggle wires.
I believe the relay is in or near the main fuse block.
Is that where the relay is IGOFAR? Am I clear in my recommendations? Frequently my mind passes my typing skills at a dead run and lags behind what I mean. Also I am at my kitchen table and am to lazy to go out and look. my bike is hard to get to right now.

Top Bottom