Stop & Go Mushroom Plugs (Product Review)

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Hello All,
I have been somewhat lurking about, not very forum active lately due to many projects around the house. Just wanted to say I am still commuting most days on the ST1300, but recently had a chance to try some of my onboard "recovery gear". Never mind I was at my brother's house and had many other options, I still tried out the Stop & Go plug kit I purchased a year or so back. I was actually very impressed! Much cleaner than the worms, very straight forward. I had just a sheet metal screw in my front tire, if it were a gash/cut I would have wanted the worms, but this worked great for the single hole. I will say the little compressor worked, I don't know if you could fill 2 or 3 tires in a row without it overheating. Adequate would probably be the best description, it got the job done. ;)

The plug itself left about an inch tail that they provided a little straight edge to cut it off flush with the tread. Very clean - holds air just fine.

1656351298317.png
1656351530260.png
1656351563343.png

I don't know how often you guys get to break out your recovery items. It felt good to use one of mine. :)

Take care all!
-Ryan

Hondafarian

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Thanks for the product recommendation. Was just thinking I should be carrying something to deal with flats. So would you consider that a permanent repair -ride on it until the tire wears out or just a temporary repair?

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Thanks for the product recommendation. Was just thinking I should be carrying something to deal with flats. So would you consider that a permanent repair -ride on it until the tire wears out or just a temporary repair?
Well, there are many factors in my opinion. I would consider this a permanent fix (for me) due to the location of the puncture, the age of the tire and my short commute. I will watch that tire close, but it appears to be holding ~40 psi with no issues. If this were my only vehicle and I was putting 3000 miles a month on it, I would probably consider changing the tire asap. As it is, this tire will probably last through the end of the year with the plug (at least).

FYI - forgot to mention the compressor requires your standard "Battery Tender" connection. I already had one on the bike, but just in case you do not.
*EDIT* - Actually, not required - it comes with a little alligator clips for the battery - but on an ST1300 that is quite the pain. I would highly recommend a Battery Tender connection.

-Ryan

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
I like those kits (but not used the pump before).

I've repaired a number of tyres with the mushrooms (car and bike). Never had a failure, and within a couple weeks, the repair is invisible, as the mushroom has vulcanised into the tyre rubber. Upon removing the tyre at a later date (when worn out) the 'head' of the mushroom has also merged nicely with the rubber tyre.

That said, manufacturers will say not to use a repaired tyre longer than necessary, and you are cutting cords to install it. I'd be happy to ride the tyre 'til it's worn out (assuming the puncture was 'simple' - near the middle of the tread, away from the sidewall, 'just' a hole and not a gash, nail didn't go in at a weird angle and thrash around inside the tyre, the nail hasn't been there too long), others wouldn't.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I like those kits (but not used the pump before).

I've repaired a number of tyres with the mushrooms (car and bike). Never had a failure, and within a couple weeks, the repair is invisible, as the mushroom has vulcanised into the tyre rubber. Upon removing the tyre at a later date (when worn out) the 'head' of the mushroom has also merged nicely with the rubber tyre…
Can this happen without vulcanizing glue? The Stop and Go kit I have didn’t come with glue. I’ve not had good luck with it on a simple puncture. The worms have worked best for me. So was reluctant to try again.

Bike
2014 ST1300
I've got one, bought after someone mentioned them on here I think
Only use so far has been pumping up the bike's tyres at home
The electrical connector matches the one on my optimate 4 enabling me to disconnect the optimate and plug the compressor in to the lead from the bike's battery
without disturbing the bike's tupperware
Then obviously reconnect the optimate to recharge the battery
Worked fine

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Can this happen without vulcanizing glue? The Stop and Go kit I have didn’t come with glue. I’ve not had good luck with it on a simple puncture. The worms have worked best for me. So was reluctant to try again.
I don't know if that is the actual intention of the mushroom plug, but maybe heat plays with it to some degree? It is very pliable. One of the steps is to pull the tail of the plug to seat the mushroom head flat inside the tire. I did this while the pump was working (no idea if it needs back pressure to successfully accomplish this step). So in theory, if the tire lost all pressure you could poke this plug from the outside inward relatively easily since there is nothing holding it in place other than the pressure of the plug expanding. It is approximately twice the diameter of the reamer.

Just a note: This was my first plug with this type (yesterday). I can report back on longevity in about a month or sooner if it doesn't work out. Also, effectiveness will be different depending on where the puncture is.

Ryan

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have 3 kits on board: Stop and Go, Dynaplug, standard gummi worms with rubber cement, and the Nealy kit (https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/). I just accumulated them over time and have a tire pump with me as well. I had to do a recent repair of a nail puncture on the Silverwing back tire and used the rubber cement and gummi worm and so far, good repair.

You might be interested in this:
(Fortnine tire repair video)- I’m not sure which is best, but it looks like the gummi worms seem to give the best repair. If my rear tire repair on the Silverwing isn’t cutting it, I’ll take the tire off and patch it internally.

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
LOL - Fortnine makes the mushroom plugs look horrible! Sorry guys! :p

I have used normal worms/rope plugs on an off-road SUV, no issues (that is the kit I still keep in my off-road vehicle). I will say that this mushroom plug thing is nice in that you don't get as dirty with the glue and tar stuff. Just be aware of the limitations and issues. Probably are not going to notice on the street, off-road I am sure it could/would fall out of the tire.

Ryan

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
No glue required, just a bit of time (weeks). That said, if the plugs dry out, they're very difficult to insert! I've not had good success with the worms, but I know people like them, I guess it's just my lack of technique and what I'm more familiar with :)

I've used them off road too (with a Tubliss setup) and they work just fine. But I wouldn't fancy their chances with a slash or similar. Worms are probably more versatile.

Last edited:

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Glad to see this as I just fitted my ST1100 with the exact same kit! I bought the Slime gummy worms too, but they are sitting in the house as of this moment. So thanks Ryan_B for the review.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The smart choice is to have options, so having both this and the gummy worms as an option are a good approach... now I have to remember to add gummy worms to the bike to practice what I preach... :oops:

Bike
1999 Honda ST100
I have 3 kits on board: Stop and Go, Dynaplug, standard gummi worms with rubber cement, and the Nealy kit (https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/). I just accumulated them over time and have a tire pump with me as well. I had to do a recent repair of a nail puncture on the Silverwing back tire and used the rubber cement and gummi worm and so far, good repair.

You might be interested in this:
(Fortnine tire repair video)- I’m not sure which is best, but it looks like the gummi worms seem to give the best repair. If my rear tire repair on the Silverwing isn’t cutting it, I’ll take the tire off and patch it internally.
I saw this same video last night. I already have the gummy ropes in my kit so I don't plan to change.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
As Mellow said, have multiple options. Not one option is ideal for every situation. And always carry a pump that can run off a battery (SAE) Tender lead.
Good idea to have an electric pump ready to go.

There was conversation here before about the regular battery tender connection wasn't able to handle the high amp draw that the pump takes? I ran a heavy gauge wire from the battery to a cig lighter style connection and stowed it under my seat ready to go. (fuse disconnected until I need it) That should handle the electrical load easily.

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Good idea to have an electric pump ready to go.

There was conversation here before about the regular battery tender connection wasn't able to handle the high amp draw that the pump takes? I ran a heavy gauge wire from the battery to a cig lighter style connection and stowed it under my seat ready to go. (fuse disconnected until I need it) That should handle the electrical load easily.
I have the stock "Battery Tender" brand connections and it handled the little pump fine. I did start the bike just to keep the battery up while it was pumping, it probably took 5 minutes to get to 40. Maybe a nicer pump would have issues though.

Ryan

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have the stock "Battery Tender" brand connections and it handled the little pump fine. I did start the bike just to keep the battery up while it was pumping, it probably took 5 minutes to get to 40. Maybe a nicer pump would have issues though.

Ryan
I’ve done this as well without issue. Plus the Tender cord is fused so if too much current draw, I’m covered.

Top Bottom