Stop & Go Mushroom Plugs (Product Review)

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
For years I have used the Nealey Tire repair kits. It is basically a much better type of gummy made of silicone and rubber. It also makes a good inner type of patch the way it is applied.

Here's a video and link:

This is what I’ve used successfully for motorbike and car. Easy to carry and no glue needed. But need a sharp razor or knife as those strands are like cutting steel.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
For years I have used the Nealey Tire repair kits. It is basically a much better type of gummy made of silicone and rubber. It also makes a good inner type of patch the way it is applied.

Here's a video and link:

This will be in my bike kit soon. I always liked the gummy plugs much better. Thanks.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
I have a Dynaplug kit on the ST. I'm guilty of just buying something to have on the bike and after reading the posts here I believe I will be looking at some other kits. the Dynaplug has a brass tip to go into the hole with a rubber shaft attached to seal the puncture. I have never repaired a cycle tire but have done a ton of auto tires and have had good luck with rubber plugs and rope type. time to rethink what I carry as a kit or kits.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The Nealy video makes a point of their repair rope mushrooming inside the tire to seal the puncture. Gummy worms do this as well. Once they get hot from the heat of the tire, the internal air pressure forces them against the inside of the tire to seal the puncture.

Below is a picture of a gummy worm repair taken from the inside of the tire. After having done several thousand miles, the gummy worm looked almost as though it had melted in to place over the puncture site. It was still a sticky blob.

OP
OP
Ryan_B

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
Thanks all! I ordered a small kit of the rope/worms to add to my kit. I will keep the mushroom plugs for the air compressor and depending on the situation and puncture location I would use them again. I do enjoy how clean they are as I am the type that gets sticky glue on everything but the place required.

One thing that is not mentioned, if you are planning on dismounting and actually patching the tire later - the mushroom plug would seem to be the cleanest for removal. Now, if I am going to dismount/mount a tire I will just put a new tire on, so this is not why I am using this application. Some are not as lazy as me though. ;)

Ryan

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am the type that gets sticky glue on everything but the place required.
I never use the glue with gummy worms. If the glue is needed, the worms are dried out and to old. If they aren't, they work just fine without glue.

I never use the glue with gummy worms. If the glue is needed, the worms are dried out and to old. If they aren't, they work just fine without glue.
Agree.

I've only used gummy plugs, for so many years, I'm ashamed to admit it. Never use the glue

Use them on the bikes and autos.

Just recently, jumped in SUV to go to dinner ... ten minutes into the drive, the dash beeps
"check tire pressure" (TPMI system)

... sure enough, RR was 10 lbs under ... turned around, went home, grabbed plug kit from ST... 10 minutes later, back on road to dinner.

Never used the mushroom kits ... the old fashioned gummy plugs have always worked, and without the glue.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I was doing my 125 mile a day commute, I encountered a number of nails/screws/etc. in my rear tire. (Always the rear! :think1:

Anyway, before @Byron took off for Kentucky, I used the worms all the time. After Byron left, I had to start changing my own tires, and since I was hopeless at trying to balance them (Byron was a PRO! :thumb:), I switched to the ceramic beads. There is a problem when you mix beads and worms in your tires.... After about 2,000 miles, I decided to replace a worm with an internal plug/patch. It was a good thing I did, because there was nothing left on the inside of the tire, of the worm! The beads, bead blasted it completely gone! o_O

After that, I always replace the worm, as soon as I can. (When you are on a trip, the worms are great, so when I get home, the tire comes off, the worms come out and the plug/patch goes on!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
When I was doing my 125 mile a day commute, I encountered a number of nails/screws/etc. in my rear tire. (Always the rear! :think1:

Anyway, before @Byron took off for Kentucky, I used the worms all the time. After Byron left, I had to start changing my own tires, and since I was hopeless at trying to balance them (Byron was a PRO! :thumb:), I switched to the ceramic beads. There is a problem when you mix beads and worms in your tires.... After about 2,000 miles, I decided to replace a worm with an internal plug/patch. It was a good thing I did, because there was nothing left on the inside of the tire, of the worm! The beads, bead blasted it completely gone! o_O

After that, I always replace the worm, as soon as I can. (When you are on a trip, the worms are great, so when I get home, the tire comes off, the worms come out and the plug/patch goes on!
For some reason I was thinking the exact same thing today after a fellow FJR rider told me he repaired a flat with a worm plug. I wondered how the plug would be affected in my tires since I run beads also. Good to hear from your experience.

Ride safe

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use either the gummy worms or my Nealey kit……insert the string with rubber cement, rotate, remove, and set fire to the worm string. Blow out after about five seconds for a good seal. Trim off the excess with a single edge razor blade. Air up and ride.

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used the mushroom plugs many times until the tires were worn out and have not had any problems. Fortnine's comment on these plugs coming out with pressure from the outside is way outside the realm of possibility in my opinion.

Top Bottom