Stopping In To Say Hello

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Three years ago I sold my ST1300 and plunged into the Goldwing world. I believe a member of the forum bought my silver ST.

I have a riding buddy with a Goldwing, bike trailer and truck trailer that has allowed us to trailer the bikes way-y-y out west then spend a week riding. Over the years we've gone from Hoover Dam to Glacier National Park and many points in-between.

I'm here to let you know the spirit of the ST1300 is alive and well, and it lives in the new Goldwing DCT Tour. I am fortunate to have just purchased a 2021 with the automatic transmission. We just completed a 1700 mile Rocky Mountain National Park to Moab week, and the whole time I couldn't help but think how similar the bike is to my old ST, albeit on some steroids. The words nimble and fast kept creeping into my assessment. I got that same smile that crept onto my face during my first ST ride many years ago.

So keep up the tradition of fun and excitement. And don't be surprised if some old fart on a Goldwing flags you down to say howdy.GWing Monarch pass.jpg

ST-venture

Randy Frank
Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GW Tour DCT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I 100% agree with you on the DCT Tour. To me it rides better than my ST1300 or my R1200RT I had prior.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
I have the tour with manual tranny. I post this to report an very interesting observation on the DCT bike. Last Tuesday I rode up Beartooth pass from the Cooke City side. Did the Chief Joseph highway then turned right to go up Beartooth. When I got to the top pulled off at the pullout and there was a Harley Road King and blue Wing with the DCT tranny pulled off on the other side by the Beartooth pass sign. They got their pictures and the Harley guy rides off, around, and back to the pavement. Guy on the DCT was trying to do the same but having difficulty getting over a rock to go forward.
I walked over to the Harley guy and asked if the Wing rider was new to bikes. No, we have been riding for years. He has the Goldwing with the automatic transmission.
Guy on the DCT could NOT go forward over the rock with rear wheel. Watched him try for must have been 10 or 15 minutes. He finally ended up putting the bike in reverse and backing over the rock, turning wheel to the right and finally going forward around the rock.

Now folks this was not a boulder he was trying to go over to go forward. If he could back it up over the rock then that should tell you it was not a boulder.

Harley guy says his buddy is going to get some grief at the next stop.

Proud mine has a clutch.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I wonder if it was walking mode or drive. Either way I wonder if the tire was slipping and setting off the traction control.

OP
OP
Scott in PA
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I walked over to the Harley guy and asked if the Wing rider was new to bikes. No, we have been riding for years. He has the Goldwing with the automatic transmission.
Guy on the DCT could NOT go forward over the rock with rear wheel. Watched him try for must have been 10 or 15 minutes. He finally ended up putting the bike in reverse and backing over the rock, turning wheel to the right and finally going forward around the rock.

Now folks this was not a boulder he was trying to go over to go forward. If he could back it up over the rock then that should tell you it was not a boulder.

Harley guy says his buddy is going to get some grief at the next stop.

Proud mine has a clutch.
There is a manual override. Curious as to if he used it or not. I'm guessing he accidentally engaged walking or rain mode. Not that I have ever done that (dum-tee-dum-dum-dummmm).

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Hi @Scott in PA, Hello to you.
Your former Steed has been good to me. 803D1207-2D66-45B4-81E5-2E0E350402A5.jpeg
I like that your wing reminds you of the good riding done on the ST.
I favor the 1300 over the 1100 yet it reminds me of all the good miles on the 1100.

AJMeister

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Goldwing DCT
I feel like my 2019 Tour DCT is a Goldwing in Tour mode but in Sport mode it's like I am back on the ST1300 that I owned. It's great to literally own both bikes. What a machine!!!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I hope this technology proves reliable as these DCTs roll over their first and second hundred thousand miles, like the "older" Wings.
Having spent a lifetime in tech / IT (although not in automotive industry), I remain skeptical.
But meanwhile, all youse guys (y'all) keep saying I just need to ride one.
Maybe I will, but that still won't give me a clear picture of its long-term maintenance or expense.

Top Bottom