Strapping down the ST1300 for trailering

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
My search talents left me high and dry as I know this has been covered but...

I have to take the bike to the mech tomorrow as I've given up trying to fix my front brakes. CheapSTOC is coming up this Friday and I don't have a lot of time. I have to be at the mechs at 0900 tomorrow. Can someone please point me to, or give me the info, on strapping down a bike to an open trailer? I have 6 "come along" ratchet style nylon straps. The trailer has a wooden floor and metal side railings about a foot and a half high. No problem getting the bike on the trailer - I just can't figure out a good way to strap it down and don't have the time to buy specialty straps.

Help!:confused:

Fred :03biker:

Last edited:
STOC #
Here's a couple of pages on how to tie down a Wing, you might be able to use similar technique on an ST

Last edited:
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I use soft ties on the front fork brace (just up under the tupperware) then block or tie down the front tire so it won't move left/right. Depending on the geometry of the trailer the straps may rub against the bodywork. In that case, move the straps further forward and tie down the rear end as well.

Used this on both the 1100 and 1300 with nary a problem.

Joseph

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Tip over wings... tie down the rear thru the back of the bike, don't use the grab rails... plastic ;) Tie down the front at the trees... under your bars. Use towels to protect your side pockets from rubbing under the straps ;)

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I'm convinced the use of a Canyon Dancer is the only really good way to tie down an ST1300.

Let's put it this way. We got a flat tire today. Slits in more than one place. I will probably start a thread on the whole ordeal, but loooooong story, short, the tow company didn't have the right straps. It would have been easy if I had a Canyon Dancer stashed under the seat or in the left fairing pocket. The tow truck guy finally used a wide strap over the seat, a couple more straps tied to the saddlebag mounts and a couple more strapped around the grips just to keep the bars from turning.

More on my unhappiness in another thread.

Ray

I'm not sure using the handle bars as a tie down point is the best location. Perhaps on the ST's the handle bars are strong enough. I know a guy that used the handle bars (and probably a different set up) and it bent his bars.

OP
OP
Medicine Bear

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
You guys are the greateST! :bow1:

I used a combination of a couple of suggestions. I like the Canyon Dancer but I needed something NOW. I'll probably order it when I get back for future needs.

Thanks again, guys.

Trashman

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I have to ask what is a Canyon Dancer and where do I order one?

Trashman

Who Ya Gonna Call?
MC and MN6R Thanks, Canyon Dancer on order. Not that I would ever trailer an ST Coop! LOL!

OP
OP
Medicine Bear

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Coop said:
Fred,
Trailering an ST? Shame on you! LOL!!
Just what I was thinking on the way to the mechanic - hoping nobody saw me! :eek:

BTW, thanks to the suggestions here, the bike and I arrived unscratched. Their preliminary look see was that "it's probably something simple". I hope they're right. I told them several times I needed it for a loooong ride starting Friday so they have no excuse.

Just for grins, as my tires still have lots of tread, I priced a set of Pilot Roads. They wanted $300+ for the tires and $65 apiece to mount and balance them. Don't think I'll be getting my next set there.

If at all possible, and to save my reputation (and, by association, Honda's) I intend to catch a ride to pick up the bike and RIDE it home.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Medicine Bear said:
Just what I was thinking on the way to the mechanic - hoping nobody saw me! :eek:

Just for grins, as my tires still have lots of tread, I priced a set of Pilot Roads. They wanted $300+ for the tires and $65 apiece to mount and balance them. Don't think I'll be getting my next set there.

Wow, Honda of Jacksonville FL quoted me $305 + tax out the door for Pilot Roads. They got my business. I couldn't even buy them online, get them to my house, and get them mounted in Jacksonville for $305.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When you use the tip over wings do you remove the black plastic cover to access the bar underneath or what?

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
hojo in sc said:
I'm not sure using the handle bars as a tie down point is the best location. Perhaps on the ST's the handle bars are strong enough. I know a guy that used the handle bars (and probably a different set up) and it bent his bars.
Exactly.....thats why I dont use the handlebars for tiedown. I just can't remember where I read this. Anyway, when I transport, the tipover-wings come off, and I tie soft ties on each side to the engine guards, and tie on each side of the grab rails in the back.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Coop said:
Fred,
Trailering an ST? Shame on you! LOL!!
Ok, I agree but there are times.

The wife (does NOT ride or ever want to) is considering going with me on my Colorado trip this June. If so, I will be trailering the ST to Pagosa Springs (base camp if she goes) and riding out from there each day until Friday, when we will load up and go to Denver for the VTX rally.

Bike
1998 ST1100
Canyon Dancer for me......

Picked my '98 ST up a few months ago, the seller loaned me his Canyon Dancer. It worked great, 650 miles, no problems. We also removed the seat and put a short 2x4 accross the frame with more ratchet straps. Anything worth tying down is worth tying down well.

Top Bottom