Strategy or Tactic: Know the Difference.

CaptCrash

Dazed & Confused
Bike
ST1300
Often in the quest for "Safety" Riders will fixate on one thing and say, "Do this and you'll be OK". For example I know that Instructors and RCs such as myself will get hung up on "getting trained" as an important issue. The problem comes when that one action (tactic) is confused as a strategy. Strategies are long term overarching goals designed for long term success. Tactics are the things we do to achieve that goal.

Here's a real world example, your strategic goal is to "See and Be Seen"--what do you do? Here's video help:

[video=youtube;MRRwG2b7Afo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRRwG2b7Afo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRRwG2b7Afo[/video]

Yup, you might say "My strategy is to ride with my high beams on" but what you're really saying is "My TACTIC is to ride with my high beams on". The danger is that when your answer to "How will you see and be seen?" is a tactic then you're not addressing the strategic problem you're addressing a tactical issue because using that high beam 24/7 is a tactic. The danger is that once you start thinking that your tactic (high beams) is a strategy then every time you start up and flip up to high beams you've achieved a your strategic goal and then? You stop worrying about it.

I've run into many, many 'mature' riders who install headlight modulators. If you ask why they'll tell you "It's so the cages can see me".

Want to have some fun? Ask, "What about the ones behind you?" The answer is sometimes "I flash my brake lights." Which begs the question "On the freeway?"

"No," comes the answer, "at stops."

Flashing your brakes at a stop is a fine tactic at a stop sign. But being visible to drivers behind you on the freeway is pretty important too. (see: http://www.ktvb.com/news/Interstate-84-blocked-after-crash-involving-motorcycles-162148805.html) Yup, dudes got run over from behind on the freeway in slowing traffic. Who knows if they had a modulator installed but the score even with one is: Reckless driver 2, headlight modulator 0. Why? Because if you strategy to be seen on the freeway is a high beam you're only dealing with 25% of the tactical problem. You have other users all around you--not just in front.

Achieving a strategic goal may require the use of multiple, changing tactics. You might want to use that high beam...and position yourself in the lane...and have a brightly colored helmet...and flash your brake lights...and watch the mirrors and have an escape route. Use whatever tactics you need to achieve your strategic goals.

Be Safe.

challenger

R.I.P. - 2023/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
STRATEGY - is the GOAL (Surviving a motorcycle ride) ... TACTICS - is the METHOD (Whatever works for you) employed to accomplish the goal.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Personally I think keeping sufficient distance, lane position and lateral movement(s) are better tactics than running with brights/modulators.

With brights on, you're basically punishing the (few) drivers out there who are actually using their mirrors - people wo do not look will not see you no matter how many bright and/or blinking lights you mount on your bike.
Another problem with riding with your brights on is that it makes it even harder for people to guesstimate your distance and speed, which is hard enough as it is due to the narrow profile of a motorcycle.

Mounting auxilary lights close to the indicators can also have negative consequences, they will make your profile wider which will help in being noticed, but may also drown out your indicators.

Just my 2cents

Top Bottom