Stuck drive chain:KLR

Bike
2010 ST1300
There was a stranded rider on my commute home this afternoon. The chain on his KLR had jumped off and was caught between the swing arm and front sprocket.
How would you go about extricating the chain? Two links folded against each other and the curve of the chain nestled very sweetly against the curve of the swing arm cross member. We tried hammering it out and tried turning the sprocket too. Hopefully in the future I can actually help someone instead of a tow.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
No pics hard to advise - sounds like a tow home - tear down of the rear tire, axel and suspension. Yikes.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Loosen axle nut and adjuster’s and remove axle, now wheel can move and tilt a bit to free up jammed chain etc.
If needed remove two bolts from rear caliper for more wiggle room.
You can now use the entire wheel for leverage and push or pull to free things up.

OP
OP
cjames431
Bike
2010 ST1300
chain was folded between aft side of sprocket and front side of swing arm.
Internet picture
1BCCA0EF-FA61-4F12-9898-111586A086E4.jpeg

Bike
2010 ST1300
If the chain had 'jumped off' the sprocket, he had it adjusted much too loose. You might have gotten it loose reasonably quickly with Larry's on the road tool kit and expertise, but for the rest of us mortals, it would be trial and error. Having changed the front sprocket on my DL650, I can attest to the lack of room in that area.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Sounds like either the chain or the sprocket was heavily worn allowing the chain to bounce around and orient itself like that. I owned a 2004 KLR 650 and never experienced a similar situation.
I wonder if he had the stock 15 tooth sprocket or if he experimented with a 16 tooth like I did? Some have used 17.
Removing the front sprocket is easy enough after the cover comes off if I remember correctly. Maybe that would have helped otherwise use a punch and tap the links lightly with a hammer. Sounds like he could have caused some serious damage, but hopefully got lucky.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It was probably far too loose or worn out. It is amazing how tight a chain can get wedged when it folds onto itself like that. Probably removing the swing arm bolt would allow the chain to come out. He's lucky the cases were not broken.

Top Bottom