Stuck in Traffic

Bike
2009 ST1300
Almost more like locked in traffic; first the situation.
Couple weeks ago, took the ST to work for a late day get together. Kind of long industrial strip of road with access back onto a main route, both ordinarily busy during that time and both affected by pipline installation, road repair so on. Exceptionally heavy traffic, once arrived I was told that one end was closed due to a motorcyle fatality investigation. I didn't see anything more just hope it wasn't the case.
Getting back into traffic I was stuck, no way out or around [safely]. After periodic one and two car advances over twenty-five minutes, a driver on the other side invites me to U-turn in front of him; says they're just turning them around at the end anyway. So I go ahead and take the offer, only to learn afterward that it probably opened up ten or fifteen minutes later.
About an hour and ten minutes of idling with a displayed temperature of 28C, three bars on scale and fans running I think most of the time but may have been cycling.
Since I was only a mile or so from home, running so well, cooling system doing it's job think of it as putting it to the test.
I've had it out a bit since and just did my usual surface feel tests, had a look at a small area with a bit of heat evidence that occured prior to my getting it, everything seems good.
I imagine this is probably nothing compared to what others have been in but it's certainly and by far the longest heat soak for lack of a better phrase that I've let a bike have.

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Almost more like locked in traffic; first the situation.
Couple weeks ago, took the ST to work for a late day get together. Kind of long industrial strip of road with access back onto a main route, both ordinarily busy during that time and both affected by pipline installation, road repair so on. Exceptionally heavy traffic, once arrived I was told that one end was closed due to a motorcyle fatality investigation. I didn't see anything more just hope it wasn't the case.
Getting back into traffic I was stuck, no way out or around [safely]. After periodic one and two car advances over twenty-five minutes, a driver on the other side invites me to U-turn in front of him; says they're just turning them around at the end anyway. So I go ahead and take the offer, only to learn afterward that it probably opened up ten or fifteen minutes later.
About an hour and ten minutes of idling with a displayed temperature of 28C, three bars on scale and fans running I think most of the time but may have been cycling.
Since I was only a mile or so from home, running so well, cooling system doing it's job think of it as putting it to the test.
I've had it out a bit since and just did my usual surface feel tests, had a look at a small area with a bit of heat evidence that occured prior to my getting it, everything seems good.
I imagine this is probably nothing compared to what others have been in but it's certainly and by far the longest heat soak for lack of a better phrase that I've let a bike have.
Got stuck by a VERY slow train the other day after work, 110°F, there was an 18 wheeler in lane next to mine but about a car length and a half ahead, pickup in front of me saw me and moved up as far as he could, car in front of him saw what was going on, and also moved up, let me get into the shade from the truck, very much appreciated ! I shut off and got off, guy in front of me invited me to sit in his truck, sat in A/C for 15 minutes, great person

Bike
Yamaha FJ-09
I was riding my 450L in Kansas awhile back. I had been riding dirt roads all day, it was 90°+, and I was ready to get back to the truck for the three-hour drive home in the AC. Then about a mile from the truck, was this slow-moving train. It just figures...

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Mine got it's baptism by fire today and no issues.

It was so hot that raising the windshield to block the breeze was more comfortable than fully lowered!

The gauge read 106°F about 2min before I took this photo.

1692069246742.png

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
It was so hot that raising the windshield to block the breeze was more comfortable than fully lowered!
I seem to forget this every summer, but I have found this is true for my face shield as well. Normally I open/crack it when slow or stopped, literally feels like someone has a hair dryer pointed at your face and feels cooler to just leave it closed. I saw 112F when I hopped on mine going home the other day ~5pm, once I got moving it dropped to 110F, I think mine does read a little high due to the heat soaked asphalt. The temperature gauge never goes above 3 bars though, we are so spoiled with these smooth running modern engines. ;)

The only time I have not just shut off the engine to wait my turn in traffic was last summer about this time/temperature. 2 blocks from home the stoplights malfunctioned after an emergency vehicle with strobes flashing went through. Our straight through lanes never turned green again. After the 6th rotation of lights, ~15 minutes (the dedicated left turn lanes were working, oddly enough), I weaseled my way between traffic and made it to the turn lane. It sure felt good to get moving again after no shade, no air movement and all the hot car engines around me pumping out heat!

I have a friend in the area that quotes some article he read that states your body literally cannot cool after ~97F on a motorcycle (I guess due to evaporative cooling?), so when it approaches the mid 90s he stops riding. I kinda of told him, anything after 85F for me doesn't feel much different, I am in full gear each time and I seem to be just as sweaty regardless. ;) I normally stick to my routine and go for about a 2 hour ride through the country once a week after work, so far it hasn't been horrible - I prefer the heat to the cold in some ways.

As just an observation note, I hopped on mine to move it around the driveway and nearly died as I hopped off it as quick as I could. That seat is hot with just jeans! For those that routinely ride with jeans, I don't know how you all do it. I have the grippy stuff and anti abrasion pads on my riding pants and you feel the heat soak through, eventually - but you do not have the near instant burn.

Ryan

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Been there done that - couple summers ago we had a 118 air reading slowed and stopped traffic on the highway on the VFR and it got sick dumping coolant. Engine temp was way up too. Rare summer heat for WA. Needless to say first shade and refreshment stop till the sun went down.

The ST road 96 miles on a desert road in eastern Oregon at 80+ miles an hour in 105 weather (non stop)and yeah the wind shield up was actually better. 2 liters of water one for drinking the other for wetting down the mesh gear. Not one complaint for this steed for the entire 400 mile run.

Top Bottom