Stumble and die... Get running again then stumble backfire and die

OP
OP
IpswichST
Bike
1994 ST1100 ABS
STOC #
So I think everything is ok. 6 pages to this forum string.... hmmm.. If it comes down to what it might have been, well then, Im a little embarrassed.

Over the last week or so I took the plastic off, fiddled with tubes, checked the fuel pump, replaced a vacuum hose that I think was part of the smog system, cleaned my fuel filter, checked spark plugs, checked the fuel shut off only to find it has already been removed, and ran a tank of gas with Seafoam in it. Many times I though I had it fixed only to find the problem came back. I was frustrated.

What I noticed alot during my trial and error tests was the suction pressure of my gas cap. I took it off and actually tried to blow and suck through the vent hose and could push some air through bot not that easily. I rode around with the cap totally open and had no symptoms. I found a post that led me to ST-Riders where there is a gas cap article .. I used that article to disassemble the cap, clean it well, and put it back together. Since that I have taken a few rides with no symptoms. I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION : Is there any design in the amount of flow that breather hose provides? I mean, even with no cap on the gas tank at all ... 100% open... that wouldnt cause the engine to run incorrectly... would it?

So.... if that is/was the problem then WOW... Im amazed and happy.

Thanks to everyone who put in their 2 cents. Hopefully I wont have to revisit this post to report the problem has returned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom