sub $750 single track mc trailer

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Okay, I've been looking at the various single track mc trailers, namely the unigo and the dakar uni-trak.

I've been thinking that with a little bit of pondering one should be able to assemble a single-track trailer for significantly less than the >$2500 that these go for. To that end, I've been looking at several things.

First I've looked at the BOB bicycle trailers:

Then I looked at these (~$225 shipped):

And of course I looked at these (~$180 shipped):

And thought, hmmmmm.

Seems like one could put together a frame that the dirtbike swingarm could connect to (kind of like the BOB), to allow for suspension and better handling. That frame could then support a thule or yakima box. I was thinking that instead of hitch, maybe some kind of axle mount?

You'd end up with an any bike, single-track trailer that you could use on or off road for $500-750.

What do folks think? What am I missing?
:D

Last edited:

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Get ahold of h2orider he is in the process of doing just that and hopefully it will be done in time for our trip to moonshine ! or at least campstoc

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Georgeorge built a slick trailer using a Thule box. I didn't find it with the search function...wonder if it got lost in the crash. Raven, I'd PM Georgeorge for his $.02 on a trailer. You fellow MOTM's need to leverage each other's boundless knowledge, after all. ;-)

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I've been working on this idea for some time, but for two wheels. I need 2 identical bicycle frames with suspension in order to do it. I don't want to buy new frames.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Dace, that wheel/swingarm looks like WAY overkill. Ya ought'a be able to source something from a wrecking yard for less, and less beefy, and with a road tire already in place. Other than that, I think you're on to something. Keep us posted.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
And maybe you can rig up surge brakes while you're at it, by putting a master cylinder at the tongue...

:)

- Jim :04biker:

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Yep, it's beefy but considering it comes complete it's not bad money. Heck, you can't even get a shock for $200 let alone the whole she-bang. I also like it a LOT better than they typical trailer wheel on most trailers I've seen. I'd definitely be looking at a junker swingarm set up for proto-typing if I seriously start messing with this (and there's plenty of mono-shock set-ups out there).

Of course I'm not a fabricator so building the frame should be interesting....

The big question comes to the connect point to the bike. I'd like it to be simpler and more universal than a typical hitch set-up to make for ease of moving from bike to bike. It could be as simple as creating some type of longer axle bolt but I'm concerned about torsional issues with an axle mount (especially for the off-road set-up).

Meanwhile, it'd be kind of neat if it could be fabbed from pre-existing components (which is the other reason the little dirt bike swingarm is interesting) so it'd be simple to set up a kit for the DIY type to put it together for <$750.

I also find this set-up very interesting:

YES, that's a refrigerator - don't need no stinkin' truck!

The bike's using this modular trailer set-up:

While it's a two wheel set-up the modular frame idea could be useful for a basic frame structure with the dirtbike swingarm suspension. I especially like that it can be expanded for larger loads and reduced for smaller loads but that's probably not feasible balance-wise with a single track design. I was kind of thinking that if one could incorporate a Thule/Yakima mounting system to the frame, one could swap out from using a cargo box to a basket to carrying a bicycle, etc. with just a few easy clicks of the attachment hardware.

Oh, and one more thing as a personal pet peeve - why is it that practically every trailer out there is aerodynamically backwards? All the various teardrop shapes put the point at the FRONT of the trailer while it should be towards the REAR! What's up with that?
:D

Okay and I'm sorry but this is just weird.....

Last edited:

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I was considering two wheels so I could also use it behind my truck. In addition, the single wheel intrudes on the cargo space inside, unless the wheel trails behind, making it much longer. Then there is the problem of the hitch. With 2 wheels I could use a standard ball hitch. With a single wheel it needs a universal joint.

Omega.Rider

Weapons-grade stupid
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
I was considering two wheels so I could also use it behind my truck. In addition, the single wheel intrudes on the cargo space inside, unless the wheel trails behind, making it much longer. Then there is the problem of the hitch. With 2 wheels I could use a standard ball hitch. With a single wheel it needs a universal joint.
Gonzo, i'm no trailer expert, but isn't that backwards? Dont you use a normal, solid mount for a single-wheel trailer and a universal for a 2-wheeler? Cause with a 2-wheeler, you have to worry about the bank angle of the bike relative to the trailer.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
No, I think I have it correct. On the truck with a standard ball hitch, there is no issue with bank angle, but it needs to swivel. On the bike, the ball hitch would allow the trailer to swivel, plus when the bike is in a turn, the trailer will stay upright.

Now for a single wheel trailer, the universal joint forces the trailer to lean the same as the bike, and allows it to swivel, too.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Yes, I'd seen this and it's really nice but I'm interested in a single track design.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Raven....hi ya! Say here's a couple of sites that should give you an idea.
www.eaglematetrailers.com and www.monogo.com/index.php

I had a few idea's off both of these, if my brother-in law and I will ever finish the rescue trailer I started last year :rolleyes: we going to attempt to fab a single wheel unit.
Ride careful, cheers!

EJ :D
The monogo guy only sells in Canada and won't ship. The eaglemate would be okay if you'd add a normal hitch at a lower point on the bike but still for $1800? you could find a welder to make something much cheaper with a picture.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Yep, seen the eaglemate and don't like the lack of suspension (not to mention the high mounting). Definitely not off-road usable either! And, for almost $2K? What's up with that?

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Raven, there's a couple of pics of single wheel trailers in this album. Picked it off ST-Riders. Hans ten Broeke is a member over there from Nederlands. Lots of neat bikes in here.

Top Bottom