Suggested routes in Texas

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
The trailer is loaded with 4 motorcycles and in the morning we start our drive to Dallas, TX. We will unload the motorcycles and start our 5-6 day trip. Then back to Dallas, load the motorcycles and drive back to MN.

We have thoughts of spending time in Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Brownsville... Each day we plan to ride 300-400 miles. We could do more if needed.

I'm hoping to get suggestions from the members on scenic roads. I've never ridden in Texas so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Dallas to Kerrville is just over 300 miles and you'll be in the popular 3 sisters area.

You can ride it all in a day and that includes checking out some popular places like the bent rim grill, great burgers, in Leakey,TX

When you're done there, you can head to the Big Bend Nat'l park, another 300+ miles away, out of BBNP you can ride 118 to 170 (River Road) the best road in TX in my opinion. Then head north at Presidio on 67 to Marfa and into Ft Davis. There's a nice loop 118/166.

I've never been to Brownsville and only a couple times to Corpus... I would stay away from Austin due to traffic...

Big question, is this a site seeing trip or a riding trip.. you can do a lot of both but TX is big so it takes time to get to some places and you can easily spend all your time in one place.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Joe!!
I would say a motorcycle trip. We are looking for the best roads.
Well then.. You could spend the whole time in the Hill Country - Kerrville area.

You'll eat up a day getting to and getting from BBNP if 300 miles days are a limit.. lot's of straight roads getting there so kinda boring I guess but worth it.

Given you've got a group.. I'd say staying in the Hill country might be the best bet but you might get bored doing the hill country that long.

Let's see:
Day1 - Dallas to Kerrville
Day 2 - 3 sisters
Day 3 - head to BBNP
Day 4 - tour BBNP and go down River Road to Presidio then to Ft Davis
Day 5 - Ft Davis loop and then head back towards Kerrville
Day 6 - kerrville to Dallas

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Couldn't agree with Mellow more. BBNP is a fun ride. You can do 200 miles inside the park and as mentioned the road from there to Presidio is not to be missed. River road is a great road. Watch out for donkeys. It's open range. Then you can interstate all the way back to Dallas or get off the slab and do backroads. If your plans have you overnight in Leakey PM me and I can give you a guy who we rent homes in the area and skip the VRBO fees. They have several rentals available. We will be there April 19/20 and have a house that can sleep up to 21 people so splitting up the rental among several people can make for inexpensive sleeping arrangements. Some are on the Frio river with access to the river and decks and grills to do your own steaks and the trimmings.
You can't go wrong in the Hill country. Just pick a road.

lddave

been there
STOC #
I can not think of one reason why a person would want to ride to Brownsville area. I have a family member who lives there and thats the only reason I visit that area and its not very often . Big Bend , Fort Davis and the hill country like others have stated are the best areas to ride on a limited time while in Texas.

Top Bottom